Become a Patron!

trying to learn to build.

boogiebot

Member For 4 Years
ok guys so just took a leap of faith here and bought a griffin tank and coil master v2 kit. going to try and jump into learning how to do this stuff. hopefully my decision doesn't make me a glutton for punishment.

sorry if this question sounds completely stupid but i have to ask, when you build coils and you are trying to get the lowest resistance possible to run high wattage does the ohms all have to do with the gauge of the wires??

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
its not really trying to get the lowest resistance pssible. It's trying to get a safe resistance that will optimize performance without sending you into unsafe (too low) territory,
For instance: the hexohm with the oklt-20 chip, will fire anything ive put on it, some down below 0.2ohms, but, at 0.3 you preserve the safety of the board, and maximize the available power by not hitting any amperage limits. So, on that mod, 0.3ohms is my target resistance.
I don't have an RX, but I think power mode can safely go to 0.1.

With wire gauges, the lower the number, the thicker the wire and the lower the resistance of the wire.
the griffin is really set up for claptons, or for a thicker guage wire.
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/
that shop carries, premade stainless steel Clapton wire and Clapton coils, both will run great on the rx and really make that griffin sing.
if you wanted to try with regular wire, I would try at 24g with the mounting holes on that atty those would set easily and its ver plyable metal. 22g would also serve you well. you'll want to d0 8/9 wraps at 3mm diameter.

boogiebot

Member For 4 Years
its not really trying to get the lowest resistance pssible. It's trying to get a safe resistance that will optimize performance without sending you into unsafe (too low) territory,
For instance: the hexohm with the oklt-20 chip, will fire anything ive put on it, some down below 0.2ohms, but, at 0.3 you preserve the safety of the board, and maximize the available power by not hitting any amperage limits. So, on that mod, 0.3ohms is my target resistance.
I don't have an RX, but I think power mode can safely go to 0.1.

With wire gauges, the lower the number, the thicker the wire and the lower the resistance of the wire.
the griffin is really set up for claptons, or for a thicker guage wire.
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/
that shop carries, premade stainless steel Clapton wire and Clapton coils, both will run great on the rx and really make that griffin sing.
if you wanted to try with regular wire, I would try at 24g with the mounting holes on that atty those would set easily and its ver plyable metal. 22g would also serve you well. you'll want to d0 8/9 wraps at 3mm diameter.

So I was watching a clip on YouTube and if I wanted to make my own claptons what kind of thin wire do you use to wrap around the wire that goes in the mounting holes?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So I was watching a clip on YouTube and if I wanted to make my own claptons what kind of thin wire do you use to wrap around the wire that goes in the mounting holes?
I buy my Clapton wire because I know myself - lol
its usually 30g or 32g though
@raymo2u and @CrazyChef are both masters at coil art.

boogiebot

Member For 4 Years
I buy my Clapton wire because I know myself - lol
its usually 30g or 32g though
@raymo2u and @CrazyChef are both masters at coil art.
I will definitely try and hit those members up with some questions.

This was the video I was referring to BTW. when you said 8-9 wraps does that mean adding another 2-3 on what this guy has?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If your doing a single core clapton I would suggest a 38g or 40g N80, and a 26g Kanthal Core, this can fit into just about any 1.5mm hole or larger, which is just about everything. Fused claptons provide the best overall experience in the Griffin, if you cannot build them yourself try having someone else make them for you, @CrazyChef and I both make coils for members on the forum for a nominal price- Chef has a website (Purecoils.com) and I take orders through PM's.
You griffin has 2.3mm Mounting holes and has 4 of those so each lead has its own hole...you can fit just about any build you can think of in the Griffin, its a RDA of RTA's...These are a few of my and other members larger builds in the Griffin and it uses them with ease, most RDA's couldnt handle some of these builds so you dont need to be worried about "what will fit"...
20160216_163228.jpg Griffin Build.jpg Alien Colored.jpg Claptonception Griffin.jpg Chainlink Griffin .jpg

boogiebot

Member For 4 Years
Wow, I don't know about being a master @f1r3b1rd , but I do like to build...
@boogiebot Let me know what you need specific answers to, and I'll do my best to help.

Thanks CrazyChef!

If your doing a single core clapton I would suggest a 38g or 40g N80, and a 26g Kanthal Core, this can fit into just about any 1.5mm hole or larger, which is just about everything. Fused claptons provide the best overall experience in the Griffin, if you cannot build them yourself try having someone else make them for you, @CrazyChef and I both make coils for members on the forum for a nominal price- Chef has a website (Purecoils.com) and I take orders through PM's.
You griffin has 2.3mm Mounting holes and has 4 of those so each lead has its own hole...you can fit just about any build you can think of in the Griffin, its a RDA of RTA's...These are a few of my and other members larger builds in the Griffin and it uses them with ease, most RDA's couldnt handle some of these builds so you dont need to be worried about "what will fit"...
View attachment 44471 View attachment 44472 View attachment 44473 View attachment 44474 View attachment 44475

Thanks raymo2u! Those pics looks crazy.

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks CrazyChef!

Thanks raymo2u! Those pics looks crazy.
@raymo2u does amazing work! He sent me a Griffin all set to go wicked and everything with beautiful coils that hit like a mack truck and taste ooooohhhh sooooo gooood! Should have the Diablo soon and I doubt it will be anything less than spectacular given me experience with his Griffin work! I too am venturing into the coil building water, but will absolutely continue to order sets from ray, I highly suggest you to do the same!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u does amazing work! He sent me a Griffin all set to go wicked and everything with beautiful coils that hit like a mack truck and taste ooooohhhh sooooo gooood! Should have the Diablo soon and I doubt it will be anything less than spectacular given me experience with his Griffin work! I too am venturing into the coil building water, but will absolutely continue to order sets from ray, I highly suggest you to do the same!
You should have the Diablo tomorrow by the end of the day ;)

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My Diablo clone came today, and so far I'm not overly impressed with the looks of it. The juice channels are almost nonexistent.

2016-03-22 18.57.15.jpg
2016-03-22 18.58.32.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My Diablo clone came today, and so far I'm not overly impressed with the looks of it. The juice channels are almost nonexistent.

View attachment 44527
View attachment 44528
It will surprise you...
The channels are lower in the deck so juice is pulled down by gravity, wick it like GrimmGreen does the goblin Mini and you will never have an issue will dryhits or leaking.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Actually...my looks bigger then yours does, the raised section seems higher..My clone is definitely not the same as yours, and its odd since Ive ordered 2 different clones from FT and both are the same..Look at where the Oring is on your base and then on mine...
20160320_195234.jpg 20160316_181752.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There's not a lot of room to build in, either. Once you cover the airflow, you're done. Limited to about a 7mm wide build. They should have brought the airflow in a mm or 2.

The horns were a coincidence, but I left them in the crop 'cuz I liked 'em. :D

2016-03-22 19.19.52.jpg

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
On a regulated mod, I usually build my coils to fire the appropriate amount of coil surface power at the wattage I intend to vape. I like my coils to make between 120-180mW/mm² at the surface. Using the heat flux entries on the Coil Builder page of Steam Engine is how I get there. Building a coil for a mech mod is an entirely different exercise, of course.

boogiebot

Member For 4 Years
If I'm looking to a basic coil and trying to get .3 ohms what gauge wire should I be using how many wraps should I do and what diameter should the coil be?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If I'm looking to a basic coil and trying to get .3 ohms what gauge wire should I be using how many wraps should I do and what diameter should the coil be?
Try this:
Dual Coil, 24g Kanthal with 6 Wraps and 3mm ID. This will hit your .3 mark and provide a nice vape as it gives a great amount of surface area, you will need around 60w+ though.

boogiebot

Member For 4 Years
Try this:
Dual Coil, 24g Kanthal with 6 Wraps and 3mm ID. This will hit your .3 mark and provide a nice vape as it gives a great amount of surface area, you will need around 60w+ though.
Thanks raymo2u!! Wattage should be no issues with this new Rx 200.

VU Sponsors