Become a Patron!

Twisted Build? Need advice.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am finally going to make some twisted wire, I've been too lazy to do it in the past. I only care about flavor and I hate a hot vape and like my builds at 0.45 on my mechs and 0.4-0.6 for my VW. So I figure I will twist up 2 strands of 28 gauge.

First, is the flavor hype or real vs regular or parallel coils and is it hotter or cooler vape, what is the ramp up and cool down delay like? Second, can you suggest a dual coil build giving the coil diameter, wraps, wire type. I use a Velocity Mini on my VW and a Freakshow Mini on my mech. Thanks in advance for your input.

Please don't talk to me about claptons, I just don't like them :-D

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know this is rude but idc. But you spent more time typing this than it would to just build it and find out for yourself.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Between the task of making the twisted wire and potentially wasting it on wrapping a few failed builds, I can honestly say that I would appreciate a shortcut in the form of input and opinions of experienced twisted flavor chasers. Thanks for your help though, skiball. In high school I could type about 40 words per minute, it may have gone gone a little up or down since then.

I came to VU because I had read that it was a good place to avoid rude and condescending exchanges.

Last edited:
I love twisted 28! I usually rock them dual coil in an 8ish wrap micro-coil (inner dia 5/64) will read around .4 ohms. That has been one of my go to builds for the past year or so mainly because of how durable the twisted wire is. I can use the same coil for almost a month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
To me twisted has a much better flavor than single strand. I don't think it would get any hotter because it's gonna be thicker and heat up slower.I prefer twisted 26 but my favorite build is a 28 tidal coil for flavor. A 28 gauge tidal coil with a 6 wrap around a 2.4mm inner comes out at .33 ohms.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I prefer twisted 26 but my favorite build is a 28 tidal coil for flavor.
"Tidal" coil? I could search on it, but since I had another question, anyway...

A 28 gauge tidal coil with a 6 wrap around a 2.4mm inner comes out at .33 ohms.
For a single coil, I assume? So that'd be a bit over 0.16Ω for two.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Here is my honest opinion of coiling....

I have tried twisted coils, claptons, and all kinds of coiling methods. What I keep going back to? Regular wound coils, pulsed and pinched tight.

While certain coils may have a slight advantage over plain coils, there isn't enough difference to make me want to do anything "extra" to wind coils. IMO, the extra work isn't yielding enough "extra" to justify my time and effort.

Simple coils work and work well.

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Freemind your definitely right but it's something I like better about that tidal coil. It's not that it just looks cool but I think it's the ribbon kanthal that makes a crisper taste. It brought out flavor notes that I have never tasted with other coils. Claptons ain't got nothing on the tidal coil imo.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Here is my honest opinion of coiling....
Simple coils work and work well.
With my understanding of the dynamics of vapour production: That has been my suspicion all along, which is why I haven't been too quick to start playing with twisting wire, making my own fancy wire, or buying Clapton.

I did discover, on my Vector Mini, that lower resistance is much better, but I'd be inclined to increase wire size and/or reduce turns and/or reduce coil diameter, to get it down, than start playing with complex wire shapes.

To that end: I'm certain I'll end up with 24 and 22 ga. wire in the box. I may buy some Clapton to try. I may, some day, try twisting up some 28 ga.

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
"Tidal" coil? I could search on it, but since I had another question, anyway...

For a single coil, I assume? So that'd be a bit over 0.16Ω for two.
I wrap dual and it comes out to .33 ohms because it has ribbon kanthal in it also in combination of twisted 28. It's great and pretty easy. If you got a drill and some pliers you can do it. You twist 28 clockwise till it almost breaks and then twist that counterclockwise with ribbon kanthal and the twisted 28 opens up a little bit so the juice can soak in to the coil and that makes more surface area therefore giving more flavor!

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love twisted 28! I usually rock them dual coil in an 8ish wrap micro-coil (inner dia 5/64) will read around .4 ohms. That has been one of my go to builds for the past year or so mainly because of how durable the twisted wire is. I can use the same coil for almost a month!

Thanks! Here it is:

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?p=roundmulti&tp=0.5&s=dp&r=0.5&hfnw=28&str=2&awg=28&id=2.5

So I tried it on my Freakshow Mini on my mech. It ohmed out at 0.5 on the nose. I have to say I think I am convinced. More flavor than it should have at 0.5 ohms, definitely more than regular 26 g dual coils. No problem with ramp up or cool down, that's the same as regular 26 g. I was surprised how easy it was to make the twisted wire just using a big coffee mug and some vice grips; I didn't even break out my drill. Pitch is 0.5mm. I will remove a wrap from each coil to get the ohms into the 0.40's.

Next will replace my 24g duals in my Velocity Mini and try a dual twisted 26g build.

Attachments

• IMG_20160116_173044 (1).jpg
    IMG_20160116_173044 (1).jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Imo twisted wire spits at ya you need power to crank em and get over this ill effect. This ks my experience anyway.
Coils last me a long time so i like to make time to make sure im getting the best vape i could possibly offer myself this is why i dig specialty coils over regular micro builds.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Imo twisted wire spits at ya you need power to crank em and get over this ill effect. This ks my experience anyway.
Coils last me a long time so i like to make time to make sure im getting the best vape i could possibly offer myself this is why i dig specialty coils over regular micro builds.

I am getting zero, and I mean ZERO spitting on the twisted 28 right now @ 0.5 ohms (27W), it's an extremely smooth vape. Hope it's the same at 0.4.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I am getting zero, and I mean ZERO spitting on the twisted 28 right now @ 0.5 ohms (27W), it's an extremely smooth vape. Hope it's the same at 0.4.
Youre golden then.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With my understanding of the dynamics of vapour production: That has been my suspicion all along, which is why I haven't been too quick to start playing with twisting wire, making my own fancy wire, or buying Clapton.

I did discover, on my Vector Mini, that lower resistance is much better, but I'd be inclined to increase wire size and/or reduce turns and/or reduce coil diameter, to get it down, than start playing with complex wire shapes.

To that end: I'm certain I'll end up with 24 and 22 ga. wire in the box. I may buy some Clapton to try. I may, some day, try twisting up some 28 ga.
I've played around with claptons. 26g and 24g. The ramp time pisses me off unless they're below 0.3 ohms, or hit with 50++ W, and they take forever to cool down; the hot vape is just not for me. I am much more impressed with the twisted wire so far as well as 28g and 26g parallel coils. I would say give those a shot first. Btw, the twisted 28g is a cooler vape at 0.4 ohms than regular 26g, I am loving it right now. Also the post screws lock nicely with the twisted wire FWIW.

Last edited:

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks! Here it is:

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?p=roundmulti&tp=0.5&s=dp&r=0.5&hfnw=28&str=2&awg=28&id=2.5

So I tried it on my Freakshow Mini on my mech. It ohmed out at 0.5 on the nose. I have to say I think I am convinced. More flavor than it should have at 0.5 ohms, definitely more than regular 26 g dual coils. No problem with ramp up or cool down, that's the same as regular 26 g. I was surprised how easy it was to make the twisted wire just using a big coffee mug and some vice grips; I didn't even break out my drill. Pitch is 0.5mm. I will remove a wrap from each coil to get the ohms into the 0.40's.

Next will replace my 24g duals in my Velocity Mini and try a dual twisted 26g build.
Good work my man! Looks good! Glad you enjoy it. I only used twisted coils for a long time and tried all the other types of coils but kept going back to them tidal coils!

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tried twisted 26 gauge 0.32 ohm dual build in my Velocity. At 3mm ID it was a pretty monstrous coil. It performed too much like a clapton so I put in more twisted 28g. 2.5mm ID 8 wrap dual @ 0.58 ohms. Vapes nice on my iStick 100 above 40W. Cool and dense w fast ramp. Won't be returning the regular 24g coils anytime soon.

Edit: Knocked the ohms down to 0.4 by going down to 7 wraps. Good flavor at 35+ W. I will keep things at 0.45 and lower for the twisted 28g from now on.

"For maximized flavor, twisted Kanthal wire is appealing because it offers more wire surface area in contact with the wick than untwisted wire over the same number of coil wraps. What's more, the lower resistance you'll get from twisted wire means the entire coil will heat more gradually, to give denser vapor production with enhanced flavor." - myfreedomsmokes.com.

Attachments

• twisted26g.jpg
    twisted26g.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 56
  • twisted comparo.jpg
    twisted comparo.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am finally going to make some twisted wire, I've been too lazy to do it in the past. I only care about flavor and I hate a hot vape and like my builds at 0.45 on my mechs and 0.4-0.6 for my VW. So I figure I will twist up 2 strands of 28 gauge.

First, is the flavor hype or real vs regular or parallel coils and is it hotter or cooler vape, what is the ramp up and cool down delay like? Second, can you suggest a dual coil build giving the coil diameter, wraps, wire type. I use a Velocity Mini on my VW and a Freakshow Mini on my mech. Thanks in advance for your input.

Please don't talk to me about claptons, I just don't like them :-D
Play around on Steam-engine, but basically twisted will drop the wire gauge by about 2 and cut the heat dissipation in half. So 28g twisted will be like a 26g but much cooler. Just as a general rule of thumb type thing.

I almost only use twisted wire, ramp up time goes up, but I find it prevents the whole burning or being too hot issue. Flavor wise ehh I don't know if I'd say better, like I said I do it to cool the system down.

Also I use SS, so the twisting really helps as SS heats up fast, I even sometimes helix it with Kanthal to more finely tune the build but that's when I'm playing around for fun.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Repurposed one of the macro 26g twisted coils as a single coil build in my Freakshow Mini. I actually like the flavor better than the dual twisted 28g in this RDA. It's better than a single clapton or 22g single coil which I've run in it. I think I still prefer a 26g single parallel macro though.

Attachments

• twisted single 26.jpg
    twisted single 26.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Between the task of making the twisted wire and potentially wasting it on wrapping a few failed builds, I can honestly say that I would appreciate a shortcut in the form of input and opinions of experienced twisted flavor chasers. Thanks for your help though, skiball. In high school I could type about 40 words per minute, it may have gone gone a little up or down since then.

I came to VU because I had read that it was a good place to avoid rude and condescending exchanges.
Go on the Google play store or apple store. Look for the app *vape tool*. It has everything you need to build coils. Also a juice blender section, ohms law calculator) and a few other sections. Hope that helps.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Steam engine works for me.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It works better for me honestly. Less to fiddle with in the coil builder section. Steam engine had more things like the temp portion of it. Vape tool has it but not as extensive. Just a little easier. Hell check it out. Can't hurt. Recognize 5 different types of wraps and all kinds of material. Ss, kanthal a1- etc...

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It works better for me honestly. Less to fiddle with in the coil builder section. Steam engine had more things like the temp portion of it. Vape tool has it but not as extensive. Just a little easier. Hell check it out. Can't hurt. Recognize 5 different types of wraps and all kinds of material. Ss, kanthal a1- etc...

Ohms inaccurate with twisted wire. Otherwise it's a nice user friendly app that works well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-22-14-24-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-01-22-14-24-32.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

I use 26 gauge Kanthal triple twisted 2.5mm ID on a dual coil RBA smok big baby Beast it's hitting at 40 Watts about .221 ohms, the pros are a super flavor the cons are you can't go much above 40 Watts or you get a burnt taste. And there's quite a lag time for the coil to heat up would probably work better in temperature control setting. But I only use temp control on nickel. I'm pretty happy with what I've got triple Twisted 26 gauge Kanthal dual coil... For what it's worth.
Respectfully,
Jimmy

VU Sponsors