Become a Patron!

twisted vs. clapton is the flavor equal?

Last night I came across some premade 32/24 clapton, slapped it in my kanger tech subtank mini at .5 ohms somewhere around 40w. The flavor is through the roof! So happy I tried it. In the mail today I got a butt load of kanthal. Now I don't have the time to make my own clapton right now, I will do that later. I was wondering how the flavor on some twisted coils would be, looking to rebuild my plume veil with dual coils and see how that goes. Just curious if the flavor will even be close to the claptons. Thanks in advance.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For me claptons are better. I hate twisted wire for the most part. It works for some people, maybe itll work for you. Try it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I never get a satisfying vape from it, juice always pops in my mouth also.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm with martnargh, I get better flavor from claptons. The trade off is, that you need more power to push them. But, if i'm going to mess with anything outside of a basic micro coil, I'm making it worth my wild.

Looks like I need to set some time aside to make some claptons then. I'm afraid now that I have experienced the clapton I'm not sure if I can go back. :)

SgtRock

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
IMO, a parallel is way closer to a Clapton than a twisted is.

I'm currently running dual parallel coils in my Mutation X V3 and am quite satisfied with the results. (dual coils--3 mm - 6 or 7 wraps 26 ga Ni80 wicked with Rayon)

BeerGolfClouds

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I like claptons as well, particularly fused, but twisted coils can produce great flavor as well. Especially on a Plume. Try using twisted 28ga, dual coils, 8 wraps each around a 2mm bit, and get them close to the airholes. Best used with a regulated mod at 65 watts and with a chuff cap if you have one. The flavor will knock your socks off.

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got some clapton's coming in the mail. Just to see if it's worth it my self. Meanwhile I tried twisting 4, 24g wires to try and get closer to what I have been hearing about them. I gota say I am liking it but I still wanna try a real Clapton.
08689b3016ad391ca1f990076ad30f41.jpg

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I agree, after claptons i think the parallel is really nice for flavor and vapor production...
Ive tried parallel with twisted and staged wire and i didbt like it but i got some 4x twisted 32k i claptoned over a 26n80 which came out really nice.
Its all subjective.

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree, after claptons i think the parallel is really nice for flavor and vapor production...
Ive tried parallel with twisted and staged wire and i didbt like it but i got some 4x twisted 32k i claptoned over a 26n80 which came out really nice.
Its all subjective.

I ran two different parallel builds before this one.
I loved them, but gunked up fast. I also threw watts up higher then normal, but it seemed to need it.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I usually go with Claptons (36g nicr wrapped around 26g nicr), in my RTAs and either fused Claptons, stitched Claptons, or aliens in my rda's. It all depends on how much time I have to make some coils. I haven't had much luck with twisted. Parallel is OK, but adding the extra crosswire makes a huge difference IMO. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My personal opinion is that strait claptons just aren't worth it. They're not much better than far easier builds but take a ton of work. If you're going to be claptoning I'd grab a second strand of wire and go with the Fused clapton, that's worth the effort. I'm a big fan of twisted as a simple build. It's a noticeable step up from the single wire and very easy to do, the downside is how springy that wire gets which can make wrapping the coil a pain in the behind.

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what I have been thinking about. Time spent building vs effectiveness. Or money vs time spent. I don't feel bad about buying 10 claps for 8$ on Amazon but for a expensive 25 foot roll for 10$ it's debatable.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what I have been thinking about. Time spent building vs effectiveness. Or money vs time spent. I don't feel bad about buying 10 claps for 8$ on Amazon but for a expensive 25 foot roll for 10$ it's debatable.
And, the big thing is fused claptons aren't really any more difficult than single cores, and far more effective. The only time I'd consider a single core clapton is if I need a higher resistance and can't get a fused clapton to hit that (working above 28g is a PITA, even 28g is, still haven't gotten 32g successfully).

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmm well like I said I just want to cheat and try one before I go out and buy a drill just for building lol. That being said I ordered those coils on the 3rd. I'm starting to get pissed, they were expected on the 14th.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I like both twists and Claptons. I often build twists just because the wire is stiffer than slick coils and is therefore easier to dry burn and rewick. On the RX200s, I use Claptons or Fused Claptons pretty regularly (I also like the odd Alien when I've got the watts for it). But on the mechs, where I don't have the power, I'm almost always building slicks or parallels or twists. In general, I feel a properly built twist will offer about 85-90% of the performance of a Clapton-- cloud or flavor, however you built it-- in half or less the watts.

Cuppa noodz

Member For 4 Years
Personally, I haven't vaped anything other then fused claptons since I discovered fused claptons. Dedicate 10 hours of time to learning how to make them properly. After you fall and scrape up your knees a few times, you'll be riding your bike all over town waving at the kids with training wheels. Well worth the time and effort IMO.

drackeo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
See I hate normal twisted wire builds.... They are IMO the spittyest coils that you can build and personally I don't enjoy burning hot juice hitting my tongue and face. The only exception being the twist/reverse-twist build those are kinda good (you need to use like 28g to make it fit in most RDAs tho).

So Claptons are the way to go! I literally cant go back to normal coils. IDC what kind of clapton (normal, fused, dual parallel, alien (really in love with these right now)) they are all great. :) tho one thing that i had tryed recently and have loved, twisted wire that i Claptonned... it really killed back the spitting also.

ljbmx1211

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks like I need to set some time aside to make some claptons then. I'm afraid now that I have experienced the clapton I'm not sure if I can go back. :)
Okay i love twisted builds they are amazing so are claptons, juice doesn't pop in my mouth much at all... Even on high wattages or even when smoking on a Mech, here's a basic one for you to try doesn't use a shit ton of kanthal I use 24G twist them up then put both in the chuck of the drill most important part is to switch it to counter clockwise or clockwise whichever one you didn't first twist them up with but you'd probably know that already... Then at first slowly start twisting those together and make sure they're even and when they are all done and tight you'll have some awesome coils and if you have Ribbion wire it's also amazing as well try new things man it's awesome what you can build out there twisted or not

Light seeker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Im finding simple micro coils of 316L better than kanthal claptons. 'Cleaner' flavor, & no ramp up/down time & power. Need to order some fused SS clapton wire now .... think my days of using kanthal are over.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Personally, I'm a Hive guy. I love Claptons, but the Hive has it beat. The only thing about a Hive is that it takes Power and Room. If you build your own, I have seen it done with 36g and it takes way less room, but I imagine the sacrifice is pretty great. I was planning on building one today with some 36g twisted ribbon wire I have, and trying it in my Crown RBA.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't even know why people still use KANTHAL!! it's taste like shit from DAY 1 and still taste like RUST 2016,
I bought a used tank from someone here, he left a coil in the tank, got the tank, wicked it, VAPEd it YUCK!!!!! I can tell it was kanthal!! Took that shit off
IMMEDIATELY!!!
Macro 316 SS YUM YUM

VAPE IT

Cuppa noodz

Member For 4 Years
I don't even know why people still use KANTHAL!! it's taste like shit from DAY 1 and still taste like RUST 2016,
I bought a used tank from someone here, he left a coil in the tank, got the tank, wicked it, VAPEd it YUCK!!!!! I can tell it was kanthal!! Took that shit off
IMMEDIATELY!!!
Macro 316 SS YUM YUM

VAPE IT

316? Like Austin 3:16? ;)
I've only used kanthal and n80 and imo kanthal has been the overall winner. I'm always looking to try something new though...
My kanthal builds don't last very long either, maybe a few weeks, on account of my vape being surgically attached to my lips.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
IMMEDIATELY!!!
Macro 316 SS YUM YUM

VAPE IT
Personally, I have gotten good and bad vapes from both wires. My first experience with SS was the Aspire .4 ohm Triton coil, and it Sucked. However the prebuilt SS .25 ohm Crown coil is amazing. In my RDAs I use Kanthal and have had no issues what so ever, and the flavor and cloud production is amazing, however, the prebuilt Kanger .5 ohm coils that everyone seems to like so much, IMHO Suck as bad as the Aspire .4 ohm SS. So... In conclusion, it is all really subjective. Your saying, "...why do people still use Kanthal?", is like saying; why do people still cook fried chicken in shortening?.

Cuppa noodz

Member For 4 Years
Every time I vape a prebuilt coil it goes from tasting like cotton when it's fresh, to tasting burnt 4 days later. There's a sweet spot in between on day 2-3, but I feel for the money, it's all about the dripping.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Every time I vape a prebuilt coil it goes from tasting like cotton when it's fresh, to tasting burnt 4 days later. There's a sweet spot in between on day 2-3, but I feel for the money, it's all about the dripping.
I get 3-4 weeks out of the Crown coils.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
image.jpeg
How about a Dual 26g Staged Twisted Clapton Build?

Last edited:

borderlinepro

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMO claptons are by far better, a well wrapped one at least... Haven't been able to achieve flavor any better than a 36 kanthal/ dual 24 nichrome...

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clapton vs twisted. I say it depends. If you are unregulated or vape at lower wattages (<40). I say the twisted coil will be a better performer. But if you have the boosted wattages of regulation available then the clapton. Yes, you can run a clapton and get good flavor unregulated at low ohms. But you take that same atty to a regulated mod you will be able to adjust the power you feed it, to give you great flavor. But I'm not really a good judge because I Don't really like high power or low ohm vaping.

In the real world the coil with the most surface area has the potential to give the most flavor, clapton win this hands down..... Problem is more surface area often results in more mass. More mass requires more power to heat.

So which is best. IDK, Depend on you definition of best. For me more flavor is not always better flavor. It's just more. I still don't understand the trend for low ohms when chasing flavor. I have 3 attys running today Unregulated, Chalice 3 @ 1.1 ohm twisted (31 or 32Nich, Hobo 3 @ .7 28kant dual and Kayfun with 1.3ohm 28kant. The Hobo gives the most flavor, but the Kayfun and Chalice give the best flavor. The Kayfun also puts out the best cloud, go figure.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a 26/32kant clapton at .58Ω in my Griffin and a .2Ω 28gx3 twisted kant in my Succubus. Both are really good and produce amazing flavour and clouds both. I have to say that I get more flavour from the Succubus, but that is an rda so of course. As most say, it's all subjective but I love my dripper for home and my tank for driving and happy with both.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Joshhm9x

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally I love Mohawk Claptons.
I use 26g N80/34g N80
Beautiful flavor, warm but never hot vape.
No spitting, quick heat dissipating and relatively quick ramp up. All in all a good vape that can run at 40w for a smaller cloud and good flavor or crank it to 120w+ for a warm vape with massive clouds and truly amazing flavor.
e5b8d6331be6e3fc77a4bc7b83596eae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wallendusty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
4a214f08e17333b6fb331b0556af575f.jpg

I run twisted 26 gauge, 7 wraps around 2.5 MM. Comes out at .28 ohms, I vape between 55 - 60 watts. Use V2 cotton bacon and get crazy flavor and clouds.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking that I'm going to change out the claptons in my Griffin and put in some twisted soon. I really like twisted.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

actually it is not much subjective, take 2 or 3 wire at same gauge, made twisted and clapton. clapton will have at least x8 more surface area that your juice can take the heat and will be needing more watt. more juice, better flavor. simple math dictates this result.

i actually did this test, used triple twisted and 2 core one around clapton at 60w which all wires were 24. clapton won the fight without doubt on my velocity clon. but claptoning 24 around 24 was so much harder than triple twisted, so i keep using twisted every day, left claptons for the times i wanna lost between gauges and have time for it

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i just got some vertabraid wire from advanced vape supply
6 30ga 316L wires braided together
for me so far after only an hour or 2 of use.
comparing it to 2x26/32 clapton 316L
i get about the same flavor as th clapton using only 50watts on the braided wire versus 80 watts on the clapton

Stigma

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
4a214f08e17333b6fb331b0556af575f.jpg

I run twisted 26 gauge, 7 wraps around 2.5 MM. Comes out at .28 ohms, I vape between 55 - 60 watts. Use V2 cotton bacon and get crazy flavor and clouds.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
You should try twisted parallel 28g_20160509_203915.JPG

VU Sponsors