Become a Patron!

Types of Nicotine Salt. one vs. other

Hi all, I started going into this DIY thing and I want to buy NicSalt 100mg,200mg, etc. to make my e-juice mix at the strength of my liking.

I Noticed there are few type of NicSalt.
Nicotine Lactate
Nicotine Salicylate
Nicotine Ditartrate
Nicotine Benzoate
Nicotine Levulinate

any one has an idea the difference between them and pros and cons of each?
google wasn’t much of a help unfortunately
:frowning:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I do not DIY my juice but found info for each of the different Nic Salts you have listed by google search to this site- they list all of the different types and give you the differences of each one.
Just scroll down and they will explain each one.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hopefully if someone that has used or knows the different types of salts will chime in and try to help.
Sorry I couldn't be of help to you.
Or maybe try emailing or getting in contact with a vendor of nic salts to find out which would be the best for you.

for those who interested, here is the information I got from NicSelect support on the question I originally asked/posted above.

Here below is the percentage of sales among all salts and a brief explanation of the characteristics of the salts:
  • Nicotine Benzoate: nearly 30%. This is the most common nicotine salts and also known as the JUUL salt as they started using it in their pod devices years ago. It results to give an easy and soft throat hit.
  • Nicotine Salicylate: nearly 30%. More natural salt but still keeping a consistent nicotine hit. Mainly acting within the mouth, this is a good fit with fruity flavour.
  • Nicotine Levulinate: nearly 25% and growing fast. This salt is the most growing we have in our portfolio as levulinic acid act to desensitize the throat and allows vapers to consume high nicotine concentrations without feeling the throat irritation. This is mainly used in pod devices and disposables.
  • Nicotine Lactate: nearly 10%. This is the most natural nicotine salts and act in the same way as nicotine benzoate. Some customers find this nicotine salt to have an impact on the flavour and tend to prefer the other salts for new E-liquids (Salicylate or Levulinate)
  • Nicotine Ditartrate: lower than 5%. This salt saw a huge interest at the beginning when vaping companies had to resemble the sensation of smoking traditional cigarettes. This is the most acidic salt and giving the stronger throat hit, which in the existing industry is not required anymore as few years ago. Due to the acidity of the salt, this is also found to reduce coil life.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Nicotine Benzoate is the one they use in Juul I think.
The name at the end of it depends on what they use to adjust the PH level in the nicotine base.
For instance Benzoic Acid is used with freebase nicotine to make Nicotine Benzoate.
Adding the Benzoic Acid adjusts the ph level of the nicotine making it less harsh.
Benzoate is a "salt" of Benzoic Acid.

Nicotine Benzoate is the one they use in Juul I think.
The name at the end of it depends on what they use to adjust the PH level in the nicotine base.
For instance Benzoic Acid is used with freebase nicotine to make Nicotine Benzoate.
Adding the Benzoic Acid adjusts the ph level of the nicotine making it less harsh.
Benzoate is a "salt" of Benzoic Acid.
I understand, but my question was what is the difference between the acids/salts the y use to make NicSalt and what the pros and cons of each one (if there weren't any pros/cons, why would they bother making new acids)?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Yes, Most places use Nicotine Benzoate.
Since juul is the most studied ecig in history and cost them 10's of millions to jump through FDAs hoops.
That's the pro.

Some people don't like that one and use Nicotine Salicylate.

The others?
Who knows?
Maybe someone ay NicSelect decided to play breaking bad in the basement in order to see what happened?
I wouldn't go near any of them because I have never heard of them being in any store bought eliquid.
The others might be in some store bought juice but it's not like the eliquid companies say anything other than "nic salt" in their ingredients list.

The only way anyone is going to be able to give you a pros/cons list would be if they bought every one and tried it.
Even then just because someone prefers one doesn't mean you will.

I don't buy from NicSelect, never have.
Now I see why and know I never will.

There is no logical reason to throw a bunch of of random untested acids into nicotine in order to give consumers 3 extra confusing choices that they've never even heard of or asked for to begin with.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Here's how I would figure out my pros/cons list.

I'd Google the word at the end of nicotine to find out the acid base to choose the one I would be most comfortable inhaling on a daily basis for years on end.

Benzoate - Benzoic Acid
Salicylate - Salicylic acid
etc...

VU Sponsors