Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of 1 person and text

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK... I did not serve in the military, but both my father and wife's father did (army and navy)
Just want to give a heads up to those that did.... I would say thank you but to be more honest... you did what you did and we appreciate that (right or wrong... I'm not here to judge that) Both fathers have passed away, but we remember their times in the armed forces (I'm 61) carry on...

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just want to give a heads up to those that did.... I would say thank you but to be more honest... you did what you did and we appreciate that (right or wrong... I'm not here to judge that

Please understand this posting. I am not addressing you as an individual. Rather, I'm compelled to speak to you're idea here regarding "right" or "wrong".

First, I need to give readers and you a bit of exposition. This helps grasp the context of my compulsion and rationale. Can recall one day when Bush Jr. was still in office, there was a news report on television. Pap, my grandfather, had served during WWII as Army infantry. In the report they were showing Bush Jr. welcoming a clearly Fascist Italian minister into the White House.

"We done fought that shit and kicked its ass twice, we'll not do it again," my Pap said. His son, my uncle, "Buddy" was there as well.

"More young boys for the grist mill," Buddy said. Buddy had served as infantry in 'Nam.

I had returned from serving in the Navy. "Maybe not, folks tired of keeping fat cat furnaces going," I said. I got railroaded out of following my dream of a forty year long career.

The right of it is how soldiers live. We're there to look out for the one next to us. We're not heroes by any means. We're simply doing a job.

That job is also mainly right. The job is protecting freedom. Granted there's a lot of corruption, bad stuff going along with the freedom we enjoy. It is though so far the best we as humans have come up with to govern ourselves.

Out of three generations in our family, none of us served to get a thank you. We served because it is/was/will be the right thing to do. We served because it was a decent job and decent albeit meager pay.

Also our service was because honor still means something. It still holds value when you look at yourself in a mirror. You can answer yourself when you ask, "did I do right in life?" The answer should always be a resounding yes. If not you're either serving for the wrong reason/s or the service itself is corrupted.

Yes, well aware that indeed some of the service itself is/has been corrupted. Steered away from that best I could. Know my Pap and uncle did as well, they could still look me in the eye and salute. Also aware that my uncle and probably Pap both wound up needing to kill to get through war. They didn't go out looking to kill, that is simply what war is, Hell.

Know you said you're not judging. Even saying that however does indicate some sense of it being present. I can agree with you, now.

Now, there is no need of war.

I know I'll get told how wrong I am about that. Fine, hold your view, I'll hold mine. We can respectfully agree to disagree as mature adults. No need of war to change anyone's mind/s. Not that it would.

What we need now is investing soldiers into public service. Secure infrastructure, build and staff hospitals, schools, housing projects for the homeless, help lesser off countries and nations develop. These need done but done in ways that we're not intruding or "shoving our values" down anyone's throats. Soldiers understand that.

It's about freedom. Who can say what is right or wrong to attain that? That is a question I struggle with finding an answer to. Know I'm not one to say. Sure, I may have morals and ethics befitting modern Christians, or even Secular Humanists. That still gives me no grounds to say. Because freedom needs to be a choice, one that in itself is free to choose.

Apologies if it seems I'm taking a high, profound view of this. It is how I think of it, got taught to live. Well, I've blathered enough on the subject matter. As you said, ... carry on. You run 'er slow.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors