VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
The final step is here. We must freeze the forum to copy the database over to the new forum. This will take roughly a day to get done because the database is so big. in that time there can be no posting, etc because that changes the database. Starting very late PM Tuesday or very early AM Wed . The site will not be accessible to anyone. There will be a message saying its updating. The next time you see VU it will be version 2.0.

You will notice the changes but it still seem extremely familiar. I think more eye pleasing.

Lets just cross our fingers on this one ;)

wildgypsy70

My son calls me "vape mom"
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 3 Years
VU Challenge Team
Phew! What an undertaking! Good luck everyone involved with bringing VU 2.0 to life. My fingers are crossed for smooth sailing........:blowkiss:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
An operation like this isn't THAT bad. :) It's just time consuming. Yes, things can go wrong, but I expect that VU will be back up in a day or so.
Tell that to the boss who almost got his lights knocked straight out by yours truly. I think I scared the man. That's what you get when you act the asshole to someone who hasn't slept in three days. That was the upgrade from hell.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Preparation is everything. I am not involved in this upgrade and am glad I'm not, so I can't know for certain, but I'm assuming that competent personnel ARE involved and that all reasonable prep has been considered. I'm also assuming that the software devs knew what they were doing when writing the code for this upgrade. I don't think unreasonable assumptions.

If so, there almost certainly will be a hiccup or two once the looooong process of copying the database is done and once overcome the forum will be live again. Then for a couple weeks some unforeseen adjustments will probably need to be made as they pop up during normal usage.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Tell that to the boss who almost got his lights knocked straight out by yours truly. I think I scared the man. That's what you get when you act the asshole to someone who hasn't slept in three days. That was the upgrade from hell.
Oh I know ! :)
I've been involved with some monumental disasters myself.

Try this. Talking about the corporate world now, EVERYthing would go one million times smoother if management were sent on an outta town, outta contact vacation while the techs do their thing. Are ya with me?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Preparation is everything. I am not involved in this upgrade and am glad I'm not, so I can't know for certain, but I'm assuming that competent personnel ARE involved and that all reasonable prep has been considered. I'm also assuming that the software devs knew what they were doing when writing the code for this upgrade. I don't think unreasonable assumptions.

If so, there almost certainly will be a hiccup or two once the looooong process of copying the database is done and once overcome the forum will be live again. Then for a couple weeks some unforeseen adjustments will probably need to be made as they pop up during normal usage.
I think I already know that this one isn't like the one that nearly got me locked up. The people who ran that shop had missed so many OS upgrades that IBM was telling us - you can't GET THERE from here. Consultants hanging out on the phone with IBM support all day and all night long through Friday night, Saturday, Saturday night, Sunday, Sunday night, Monday morning. I did get a motel room and sleep for three hours, I think that was mid-day on Sunday, when I just could hardly see any more, but through that whole time that was the only break. It was the worst thing I've ever done in my life, and when the boss stuck his finger up in my face on Monday morning and told me, "YOU PROMISED YOU'D HAVE THIS SYSTEM UP ON MONDAY MORNING," I very nearly lost my shit.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years

Try this. Talking about the corporate world now, EVERYthing would go one million times smoother if management were sent on an outta town, outta contact vacation while the techs do their thing. Are ya with me?
I'd go farther than that some days and say that they should go permanently out of town and let the whole company do its thing. Some of the flakiest shit I've EVER heard comes from those guys.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I'd go farther than that some days and say that they should go permanently out of town and let the whole company do its thing. Some of the flakiest shit I've EVER heard comes from those guys.
Yep yep yep.
Useless overpaid tech morons who were hired because of management education and experience, but know literally NOTHING about what we do. In our ears and up our nose day and night demanding things from upper management over them who ALSO have NO idea what they're demanding or how it would have to be done,

In fact these clowns didn't even understand that our present infrastructure wasn't even capable of what they were demanding and that vast sums of money and time would be required to come even close to achieving it. THEN, we are accused of negativity and not having a can do attitude.

IT departments need to be run by IT people who are at least as capable as the people they're supposed to be managing. Not because they have a business degree and know to live a of slavery to Microsoft Project.

Deep breath :D I was gonna say, "don't get me started", but too late LOL!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yep yep yep.
Useless overpaid tech morons who were hired because of management education and experience, but know literally NOTHING about what we do. In our ears and up our nose day and night demanding things from upper management over them who ALSO have NO idea what they're demanding or how it would have to be done,

In fact these clowns didn't even understand that our present infrastructure wasn't even capable of what they were demanding and that vast sums of money and time would be required to come even close to achieving it. THEN, we are accused of negativity and not having a can do attitude.

IT departments need to be run by IT people who are at least as capable as the people they're supposed to be managing. Not because they have a business degree and know to live a of slavery to Microsoft Project.

Deep breath :D I was gonna say, "don't get me started", but too late LOL!
Aw c'mon, don't be shy! Tell us how you REALLY feel!

(jk, I understand completely. It's ok to "get started" some days.)

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Joe and all, sorry for the highjack. Please, let the conversation continue! Again, good luck with the upgrade.
I’m not sad that the political threads have been closed. But I really never read them. Even the Insult Cromwell thread got political.

It’s really nice to hear from Joe. I’m very fond of him and Tyger, even if I don’t know them personally. I’m just grateful to them for giving us an alternative to ECF!!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I hope the move/upgrade goes well and we are all "talking" to each other by Thursday. All I know is that I'm glad I'm not VaporJoe, Tyger, CJ, Smokie, CountryPami, or 5150sick. Most likely I would have less hair than I already don't have...:giggle:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Rhianne if you want to take a little trip in time, Vaporjoe and Tyger were well known on the old Mod Envy show on vaperstv a few years back, they have lots of their old archived shows on youtube still. Great old show, give it a watch.
That's how I found Vu. A link to the show from the Dr Crimmy group before the toilet juice fiasco. Came here and lurked for a year at least. Just learning. Followed Zamazam and robot zombie for knowledge. Not that they knew about it. Lol

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
@Rhianne if you want to take a little trip in time, Vaporjoe and Tyger were well known on the old Mod Envy show on vaperstv a few years back, they have lots of their old archived shows on youtube still. Great old show, give it a watch.
Thanks, Cosmic. I’ll look for it.

Carambrda

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Nah. The bad crisis situations always were the best part of the job... it's just a personality type of thing. :hint: :hint:

VU Sponsors