Become a Patron!

Vandy Vape Gaur 21 review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

The Gaur 21 by VandyVape is a dual 21700/20700/18650 C-frame mod, that claims to be not only waterproof, but also the lightest 21700 mod ever.

Images are here
DSC_0100.jpg
First impressions

Within 5 seconds of taking the mod out of the box, I liked it – it just feels right. Of course, this is a big mod that’s far more suited to sitting on a desk, but it isn’t cumbersome or awkward to hold.

The mod is made of fiberglass reinforced polycarbonate and (if you like plastic mods) has a great feel in your hand, with large, clicky and rattle free buttons.

For such a large mod, it is surprisingly light – I don’t have scales to weigh it but even when loaded with 21700s, it feels lighter than most of the dual 18650 mods that I use.

The battery panel is a great fit – use 18650s with the provided sleeves or 21700s without and there is zero movement – use 20700s and there will be slight movement, but that is to be expected due to the slightly smaller dimensions compared to 21700s.

A 26.5mm atomizer fits with room to spare – I’d say a 28mm would fit without issues.

The only issue I have with the looks/feel of the mod are the materials on the door panel, I think all black plastic would have looked a little better. Of course there are other designs available.
DSC_0005.jpg
Functions

• Setup - you are able to partially disable certain modes from the menu – I never use temp control, so it’s disabled on my mod. I really like this feature because you can make the mod as barebones or complex as you wish. You can also adjust the timeout, brightness, UI color, check the version number, display a QR code for the mobile app and do a factory reset.
  • Controls - Five clicks to turn the mod off (although if you hit fire when the mod is off, the screen turns on and displays OFF) – three clicks allows you to scroll through the available modes (with those you have disabled not showing) – four clicks allows you to scroll through all modes (with those you have disabled being available) – holding power up + down enters the setup menu – fire + up locks/unlocks the power adjustment – fire + down rotates the screen 180 degrees (why?) – clicking up + down twice allows you to re-read the resistance.
  • Modes - normal, soft, medium, hard + DL and MTL modes (all of these modes apart from normal are adjustable power curve profiles) – bypass mode – voltage mode – temp control for SS/NI/TI – ARR is a smart mode that automatically sets a power level based on the resistance of the coil. ARR mode seems to work pretty well with most of my DTL atomizers – giving a slightly conservative but realistic wattage, however with my MTL atomizers it set the power about 20% higher than I would have liked.
Temp Control- Vandy Vape generally has a reasonable reputation for temp control, I never use temp control so that’s as much as I will say on the subject.
DSC_0095.jpg
Mobile App

Setting up the mobile app and pairing the device is really simple on Android, not being an Apple user, I have no idea about iOS.

• Basic controls - flavor settings, power, voltage – these controls work perfectly on the app, however they also seem absolutely redundant. Rating – gimmick.
  • Find my device - again, this works perfectly – I’m more likely to lose my phone than my mod, so this doesn’t help me – but if you’re prone to losing your mod, then it might help. Rating – slightly useful.
  • Power curve settings - works perfectly and is actually useful – I dislike adjusting power curves on a tiny screen, being able to set, save and send a curve and is useful. Rating – good stuff.
  • Update via App - my mod came with the latest firmware, so I have no idea how well this works. Rating – unknown.

DSC_0066.jpg

Conclusion

I’ve owned 20+ mods over the last few years – this is hands down my favorite dual battery mod – it just ticks all the boxes for me.

Pros

• Decent chipset with highly customizable setup.
  • Some of the mobile app functions are actually useful.
  • Lightweight for a dual 21700 mod.
Cons

• Obviously, it’s a big mod.
  • Some of the mobile app functions are gimmicky.
  • If you don’t like plastic mods, you won’t like the Gaur.
Disclaimer

The Gaur was sent to me by Sourcemore for the purposes of this review, they currently have it in stock with a regular price of $58.99, however if you use the promo code GA21 this reduces the price to $34.79.

Note

This is a Gaur.

VU Sponsors