Become a Patron!

Vandy Vape Kylin Mini V2 - review + build guide

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

After the successes of the Kylin, Kylin Mini, Kylin M and Kylin V2, Vandy Vape releasing a Kylin Mini V2 was a forgone conclusion.

However, I have never used a Kylin or even a Vandy Vape atomizer, so my mind isn’t going to be clouded by past glories or failures.
DSC_0008.jpg

What is it

The Kylin Mini is a 5ml, top airflow, postless deck 24.4mm RTA, with 270-degree airflow that claims to give a smooth and leakfree vaping experience.

What do you get

3ml straight glass, 0.3 fused clapton, coily tool, spares.

First impressions

It’s huge (especially with the bubble glass) and the proportions are strange (again especially with the bubble glass).

Oh well, the Kylin Mini V2 isn’t going to win any beauty contests – let’s hope it vapes well.

Building

I don’t like postless decks, precutting coils isn’t hard, but you always run the risk of cutting them too short – fortunately the supplied coily tool which is marked for the ideal height makes this unlikely.
DSC_0005.jpg
Putting the coil in the deck is very straightforward, tighten everything up, center the coil with a coiling rod and you’re ready to wick it.

Wicking can be slightly tricky, you will need to cut the wicks longer than on most RTAs, and you need to fluff/comb them a lot – the juice has further to travel due to coil height and you will get dry hits if your wicks aren’t fluffed up nicely.
DSC_0021.jpg
There are no ports for the wicks, so you have to juice them up nicely and place them between the sides of the huge slabs of airflow, push them in very gently and they will be secured once you screw the chamber into the base.
DSC_0023.jpg
Overall, the wicking wasn’t that hard – it took me three attempts to get it perfect but after you get it right once, you’re unlikely to mess it up again.

Normally, this would be all I have to write but, not in this case. Maybe I’m just an idiot who wasn’t careful enough, but I screwed the tank together while the base was on a mod and got the whole RTA stuck on my mod.

The deck revolves independently from the deck, so half the time that you’re tightening the tank, you’re also screwing the base tighter onto your mod – this is all easily avoided by removing the base from the mod before you tighten everything.

Obviously, once you’ve got all that done – it’s not going to leak, unless you actually tried to make it leak by leaving it upside down.

How does it vape?

Considering that it’s aesthetically challenged, tricky to wick and got stuck on my mod, it had better vape really well.

Fortunately, it vapes really well. Airflow fully open from 65-75w is a dream, creamy smooth airflow and creamy, cloudy, saturated flavor. Creamy describes the flavor well, it isn’t the sharp hit of flavor that you’d get from a more a restricted single-coil RTA that directs the air under pressure, it’s a nice, moist, flavor infused cloud – this really suits cream/pastry juices so well, tangy juices like lemon still work just not quite as well.

I initially used a 3.0mm triple-core 0.2ohm six-wrap fused clapton as it’s a coil that I’m familiar with in single-coil atomizers and it makes comparisons easy.

The airflow is excellent, no matter how much you open or tighten it, the airflow remains smooth – I preferred it fully open, but you can cut the airflow down to 25% open and enjoy it at 45w.

One issue I did find that while the vape really encourages chain-vaping, you have to either keep it around 75w (or lower) if you want to chain-vape or learn to wick it better than I did. However, if you’re not going to chain-vape it, it will work vape really nicely at around 90w.

The best advice I can give, is that if you’re planning to chain-vape then use a coil that doesn’t require over 75w to perform well.

Pros

• Super smooth airflow throughout the entire airflow range.
  • Delicious creamy flavor.
  • 5ml tank is better than a lot of single-coil RTAs.
  • It’s not going to leak.
Cons

• Slightly tricky wicking, it might take a few attempts to get right.
  • Not quite as good with tangy juices as it is with cream/pastries.
  • Wicking can struggle with chain-vaping over 75w.
Conclusion

Most of my single-coil RTAs perform in a similar way to the others, Druga, Gear, Kelpie, Blotto (in single-coil setup) – the Kylin Mini V2 isn’t the same, it isn’t a stubby and restricted RTA that performs well at 45w – it encourages you to push it at higher wattages and rewards you when you do so.

It isn’t flawless, but the performance more than makes up for a few minor issues.
DSC_0071.jpg
Disclaimer

The Kylin Mini V2 was supplied to me by Sourcemore for the purposes of this review. Sourcemore currently have a promo code KYLIN that will reduce the price from $28.59 to $21.39

VU Sponsors