Become a Patron!

VandyVape Berserker V2 MTL RTA

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Berserker V2 MTL RTA which is as all the Berserker range a collaboration between VandyVape and Alex from VapersMD. The Berserker V2 MTL RTA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Viktor from VandyVape.

http://www.vandyvape.com/atomizer/rta/at...2-mtl-rta/

Introduction

The Berserker is one of the most popular series of atty's and we have seen a couple of AIO versions, V1 and V2 of the RDA and V1, Mini and V1.5 of the RTA and the RTA has become for many what they use as a benchmark for judging other MTL RTA's.

I have found with each version of the RTA improvement with each release which is what you would hope for so was expecting improvement further with the full V2. The V2 keeps that familiar Berserker look while having quite a overhaul making it a true new version rather than just a slight upgrade.

The V2 uses airflow inserts which is something we have seen on the Berserker RDA's, new build deck and all new upper tank design with narrow tube and plenty of metal up top. Rather than a traditional top-cap we have what is more like an RDA sleeve that slides over the upper section of the tank which once removed reveals two large ports with self sealing membrane. As usual from Vandyvape the RTA comes with plenty of goodies including 3 different drip tips and both glass and PEI tubes, so let's give it a look, do a build and see how she vapes!

In The Box

Contents:

1pc Berserker V2 MTL RTA
1pc Accessory Bag
1pc User Manual
1pc PEI Tube
2pc Alternative Drip Tips
5pc Airflow Inserts
2pc Superfine MTL Fused Clapton Coil 0.74ohm

Aesthetics

The Berserker V2 MTL RTA came in cardboard box packaging marked "Sample" so i assume will be different to the retail version which should also include a manual and hopefully a bit of cotton although that's not listed. I received the Matte Black version, it comes in Matte Black, Stainless Steel, Gunmetal or Gold. The V2 has that very familiar Berserker look while having a complete cosmetic overhaul which rather than try and explain that contradiction i will just let you see the photos for yourself.

Berserker V2 MTL RTA Specs and Features:

Height: 35mm
Diameter: 24mm
Material: Stainless Steel + Glass
Tank Capacity: 3ml (2ml TPD)
Comes with two tubes, three drip tips
Slot Airflow
New Base Design
Top-fill
RDA style top-cap sleeve
New comfortable design of refill cap
Supports Variable setting of the bottom airflow: 0.8mm / 1.0mm / 1.4mm / 1.6mm / 2.0mm / D-1
Colours: Matte Black, Stainless Steel, Gunmetal, Gold

The Various Parts

The V2 is made up of base section which has a floating deck and airflow control ring, We also have a 3mm capacity narrow glass tube and we also receive an Amber PEI option, i have to assume at this point the TPD version will be 2ml. We then have the upper metal tank section with attached inner chamber and fill port gasket with self sealing membranes (this can be removed and replaced with the included open port gasket).

Next we have the top-cap which is more like the design of an RDA sleeve and finally up top a medium height nipple style MTL delrin drip tip, a longer nipple drip tip is included as is the same long drip drip with added heat sink fins.

Also included is 6 airflow inserts of which the 1.4mm is pre-installed, spare screws and o-rings and of course the obligatory useless Blue screwdriver. I had no manual or cotton in the sample but would imagine the retail version does but it did include 2 Superfine MTL Fused Clapton Coils 0.74ohm Ni80 30ga*2 + 38ga, 6 wraps, ID 2.5mm.

The Berserker V2 MTL RTA With Each Drip Tip Installed:

Filling

The top-cap is more like an RDA sleeve but rather than having a tab on the inside at the bottom of the sleeve and cutout at the base of the metal section with locking rail it's all done at the top. So at the top of the metal tank just below the fill port gasket we have a cutout and locking rail and then the sleeve has a tab that locks in place high in it's ceiling. The tab is smaller than the cutout which allows it to find it's mark with ease, it's then just the slightest of turns and it's secure. To remove the top-cap again it's just a slight turn and it's free, it takes less than a second to either remove or secure. Just to point out it locks not in the usual clockwise direction but anti-clockwise and is removed by turning clockwise.

The V2 has 2 large self sealing ports which i am a fan of, some say well air can't escape from the other port and will cause airlocks and a messy fill but that has never been my experience at all. When i push my nozzle through the entire length of the flap opens leaving as much room for air to escape as my filling nozzle is taking up with the added benefit of if the tank falls over or gets tipped up no e-liquid will escape. If you don't like the self sealing ports then an open port gasket is included so you can use that, i'll use the self sealing one and we will have to agree to disagree lol!

The Airflow

The V2 uses a combination of the airflow control ring and inserts to give the full MTL spectrum so definitely one for the authentic MTL enthusiast.

I will be honest and admit for the first couple of days using the V2 i actually thought the airflow control ring was fixed as it's so tight (could just be mine and has started to loosen up) and when initially trying to turn it while holding the tank because the sleeve style top-cap fastens in the reverse direction all that happened was i kept undoing the top-cap while the airflow ring didn't adjust.

I then realised to fasten the V2 on your device etc while the top-cap was on it needed to be held by just the tube section so when trying the airflow control ring while now just holding the tube section indeed it started adjusting. I was getting great results just with the inserts but when used in conjunction with the airflow control ring the MTL draw options are all there and you can tailor your draw to your exact preference.

The airflow control ring has a slot just one side which houses an attached metallic section with a row of 6 of the smallest holes you are likely to see. As the ring is adjusted you have to look for the solid background behind the holes to disappear to show that particular hole is open as the metallic section with 6 holes is fixed to the slot and move as one, this added to my initual thought that the airflow ring was fixed into position and didn't adjust.

We then get airflow inserts that slide underneath where the coil will be positioned that have raised horizontal grooves on the upper surface so can be removed easily with a fingernail. The V2 comes with the 1.4 airflow hole insert installed and 5 others included which are 0.8mm, 1.0mm, 1.6mm, 2.0mm and D-1 which is a split airflow with 2 1.0mm holes.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Deck And Build

I have explained the inserts so now onto the rest of the deck which although this is a 24mm RTA as is usually the case with 24mm MTL RTA's it has a floating 22mm deck. We have two posts side by side which for a MTL deck has large post holes, the coil leads face the same way rather than opposite at diagonals and will be fastened down from above by flathead screws (wish they were hex but that's a minor issue).

This is just so easy to build just slide your leads in the open terminals and holding the coil in position over the airflow outlet fasten your leads down, if needed adjust the position of your coil with a coiling rod or fit for purpose tool, check that the screws are still tight then snip your lead ends.

Wicking is equally a breeze, just make sure your cotton is catching the coil as it's moved to and fro but not over tight. Cut your ends long enough so they will comfortably fit down into the wicking channels but won't actually rest on the base of the tank. I then applied some liquid before tucking my ends into the wicking channels which are quite large considering so no thinning of your ends is either needed or recommended.

How It Vapes And Thoughts!

I love the RDA style sleeve come top-cap for the purpose of getting quick access to the fill ports and also having the tank back sealed within a second but it does play a part in my only main con.

It does loosen slightly after some use and bare in mind mine is a sample and not retail production but the airflow control ring on first opening is very stiff and remains so even if to a lesser degree. Add to that it's so easy to part grab the top-cap when trying to get the airflow ring to adjust which fastens in the reverse direction so undoes. Not a major issue if either the tank is upright or like me you keep in use the fill port gasket with self sealing membrane but needs mentioning and to be honest it's the only real con i have for this superb MTL RTA.

As mentioned i used the RTA the first few days only thinking airflow control was done via the inserts and the outer airflow ring was fixed yet trying the different inserts i was still able to get quite tight to loose MTL draws (even a very restrictive DL of sorts) and plenty of variation between. Once though i did realise the airflow control ring was just very tight and started using it in conjunction with the inserts this really does give the full spectrum from as tight as i have got from any atty and can be micro managed to get the exact draw you like. Finally talking about the inserts they can be swapped so quickly and easily without disturbing your build.

I really like all 3 drip tip options and after making a final decision which one i will permanently use on the V2 the other 2 will find their way on top of other tanks. I also like the 2 different tubes and including a fill port gasket without the self sealing membrane is not something i will use but some don't like the membrane sealing ports so great that it can be swapped. The Build and wicking on the V2 is as simple as it gets and from the off i have had no leaking, gurgling or flooding issues.

I would say the V2 is as quiet as a mouse but then a mouse squeaks and the V2 really is silent. It has the smoothest airflow you are likely to come across and the flavour is quite outstanding. The included Superfine Clapton Coils work a treat and just for the record i have settled for now with half open (3 holes open even though all 6 are visible) and the split D1 insert for a mid to tight draw. A different kind of MTL tank to the Expromizer V4 which involves more engineering but a match in performance!

Conclusion

The Berserker V2 MTL RTA i will have to keep away from my wife who used the V1.5 as her tank for 6 months. That's because this is going to be one of my 2 go to MTL RTA tanks for the foreseeable future alongside the Expromizer V4. The V2 is giving me the best performance i have had from a MTL RTA alongside the Expromizer V4, let's call it a draw! Very impressed!

Very good build quality
4 colour options
Extensive overhaul since last version
Aesthetically pleasing
Airflow control ring
Airflow Inserts
Micro manage draw, super-tight to loose MTL
Inserts can be swapped on the fly
Top-cap, RDA style sleeve
Quick filling
Self sealing fill ports (open fill port gasket included)
3 very nice fit for purpose drip tips included
2 Different tubes included (glass & PEI)
2 Superfine fused claptons included
Very easy build and wick
No issues experienced with wicking, flooding or leaking
Silent
Airflow super smooth
Experiencing Outstanding flavour

Cons

Airflow control ring tight
If you part hold sleeve (top-cap) while adjusting airflow top-cap can undo
Flathead post screws (subjective)

I would once again like to thank Viktor from VandyVape for supplying the Berserker V2 MTL RTA for the purpose of this review.

http://www.vandyvape.com/atomizer/rta/at...2-mtl-rta/

VU Sponsors