Become a Patron!

Vape shop calls tax 'pretty much a catastrophe'

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea my state approved a 92% Tax on vape gear...Im not sure how any of them still stand as the prices before the tax was already atleast 8 times the online prices

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh dear..disaster! The tax on cigs in the UK goes up every year. I am hoping that as the UK government is pro vaping they will not tax vaping stuff the same way they tax cig. However as smokers pay for the health care of non smokes a lot of revenue will be lost if vaping continues to gain momentum, so watch this space!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
By taxing the crap out of vaping, they are creating a black market. The greedy fucks have no idea that people will still vape and get their stuff else wheres. Vaping is here to stay.

States taxed the shit out of booze and beer leading up to prohibition, more booze and beer was consumed during prohibition that any other time in history, because it was illicit and illegal. The only reason prohibition was repealed was because the mob was making money hand over fist supplying it and the feds were spending tons of money trying to stop it. It all comes down to money. The state wants the taxes, at a punitive level to offset the Tobacco money they are losing. They have to pay back the tobacco bonds they sold. The money from the bonds didn't go to anti-smoking and health programs, it went into the general fund to be pigged out on by politicians doing pork barrel politics.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
By taxing the crap out of vaping, they are creating a black market. The greedy fucks have no idea that people will still vape and get their stuff else wheres. Vaping is here to stay.

States taxed the shit out of booze and beer leading up to prohibition, more booze and beer was consumed during prohibition that any other time in history, because it was illicit and illegal. The only reason prohibition was repealed was because the mob was making money hand over fist supplying it and the feds were spending tons of money trying to stop it. It all comes down to money. The state wants the taxes, at a punitive level to offset the Tobacco money they are losing. They have to pay back the tobacco bonds they sold. The money from the bonds didn't go to anti-smoking and health programs, it went into the general fund to be pigged out on by politicians doing pork barrel politics.
History has a odd way of repeating itself...

VelvetA

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea my state approved a 92% Tax on vape gear...Im not sure how any of them still stand as the prices before the tax was already atleast 8 times the online prices
they never approved that tax - or any tax on vape products as far as I know. One attempt was removed in conf committee and another attempted separate bill passed the house and died in the senate.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I think the taxing will discourage nicotine use is a false narrative designed to hide the fact that they are greedy pigs that simply want the tax money for their spending on wasteful projects that benefit their buddies, and don't give a damn about the consequences to their constituents.

As it is, they're already routinely catching truckloads of black market cigarettes. Do they really think such things won't increase?

Sent from my LG-V10 using Tapatalk

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back when I was still smoking, I would meet "Wally or Emmy" when they came up from down south and buy 10 cartons at a time for 1/5 what I paid at the store. The black market will soon be in existence.

zepp21

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep, local shop here in Philadelphia suburbs said he's going to "eat" the tax and not pass it on to consumers. Problem is, that's a huge chunk of your margin that is going to disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In don't see how that vape shop could stay in business. They would need the volume sales of 101vape to stay in business.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
In don't see how that vape shop could stay in business. They would need the volume sales of 101vape to stay in business.
This tax is a real problem if a shop has lots of low-margin inventory. But if a shop has little low-margin inventory and sells primarily "house" juice, having their cost on the ingredients increase by 40% likely doesn't affect margins all that much. Think about it: If the ingredients to make that $15 bottle of juice cost $1.50 (and we DIYers know that IS about what it costs), the cost of that bottle of juice increases to $2.10. So instead of $13.50, the shop makes $12.90 on that sale.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This tax is a real problem if a shop has lots of low-margin inventory. But if a shop has little low-margin inventory and sells primarily "house" juice, having their cost on the ingredients increase by 40% likely doesn't affect margins all that much. Think about it: If the ingredients to make that $15 bottle of juice cost $1.50 (and we DIYers know that IS about what it costs), the cost of that bottle of juice increases to $2.10. So instead of $13.50, the shop makes $12.90 on that sale.

They would have to start charging $14 for their $10 house juice and $84 for their $60 RX200.

it's not a wholesale tax, it's a sin tax.

also if you buy vape gear online you are expected to keep a list and send a check for 40 cents on the dollar at tax season.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
They would have to start charging $14 for their $10 house juice and $84 for their $60 RX200.

it's not a wholesale tax, it's a sin tax.

also if you buy vape gear online you are expected to keep a list and send a check for 40 cents on the dollar at tax season.
Although I don't spend all my time there, I'm nominally a resident of PA, and I'm reasonably familiar with the relevant section of PA HB 1198.

If you're a shop owner, you pay 40% on the wholesale value (your cost of the goods). If you're a consumer and import stuff into the Commonwealth yourself, you're supposed to pay 40% of your cost (which will be retail). The toughest part for for shops the floor tax (40%) on the wholesale value of all their inventory as of October 1...

VU Sponsors