Become a Patron!

Vapes and electronic devices

So, what is the general consensus about using a vape around electronics.
I know cigarettes absolutely destroy pcs and other items with fans due to tar buildup however I've noticed that my amplifier seems to have its display (a VFD) fogged up on the inside. I got it second hand at a good price so I'm not sure how much attention I paid to it but I'm almost certain it looks worse than when it got it.
A VFD (vacuum fluorescent display) uses fairly high voltage (about 1kV) to power it so I could see static buildup on the plastic covering the VFD. Has anyone else experienced this?
Any ideas on how to minimize any damage caused. I was thinking of static pulls the particles out of the air then a (legitimate) negative ion generators might be a silent way to help filter the air as they do that for dust and other particulates. It seems like a better solution than a fan that's constantly sucking in air.
Is there anything reasonably priced that can clean air up a bit? I'm getting irritated with smoke alarms going off (they're incredibly sensitive) and I don't want to brick expensive electronic items.
Thanks

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

It's meant for dust, pollen, pet dander, and tobacco smoke. It snags my vapor now, too.

When smoking, I've exhaled with my nose for most of my adult life. When vaping MTL, that's what I do habitually but with DL, exhaling with my mouth came naturally. So I started doing what considerate smokers do: Tilt my head upward to exhale. Well, smoke is lighter than air and drifts upward but e-cig vapor drops. Had vapor coming down right onto the computer screen and other things. Also onto hubby's head. Oops. :)
Fixed that. And watched vapor drift and diffuse across the floor then get pulled into the air purifier.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I saw the inside of a PC that had been in the office of a chain smoker for about six years. (This was back before they made us stop smoking inside the office). I couldn't believe my eyes. It was almost like sap inside there, and covered EVERYTHING inside the computer. Disgusting.

We backed up his data and threw that damn thing in the garbage.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you have adequate air circulation there isn't much issue. Sit here by an open sided old tower desktop. Yes, there's likely some veggie glycerine residue in it. Don't 'spect its terrible. Clean it every three to six months. It wasn't terrible last time. Again, it's adequate circulation of the air.

Then, I do live in a cracked, hole filled hovel. *shrugs*

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I wouldn't worry much about it. Vapor isn't anything like smoke. No solids. Vapor may settle but evaporates completely within minutes.

If you have adequate air circulation there isn't much issue. Sit here by an open sided old tower desktop. Yes, there's likely some veggie glycerine residue in it. Don't 'spect its terrible. Clean it every three to six months. It wasn't terrible last time. Again, it's adequate circulation of the air.

Then, I do live in a cracked, hole filled hovel. *shrugs*
Cracked hole filled hovel about sums up my place too.
I do all the repairs (except plumbing if I can avoid it, I hate plumbing) and it keeps the rent down. I think the fact that the house was so badly 'renovated' by the landlord a decade ago (carpets glued to the floor, double glazing windows with gaps so big you can feel the wind blowing though them which I sealed up with toothpaste (it was the only thing I had and my room was close to freezing) in my teens as it used to be dual tenancy between me and a parent. Sealing is better now) that it also means that an inspection by the new landlord is basically "walls are intact, check, house isn't on fire, check, roof hasn't collapsed yet, check and so on so I get slightly cheaper rent than other places the same size.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cracked hole filled hovel about sums up my place too.
I do all the repairs (except plumbing if I can avoid it, I hate plumbing) and it keeps the rent down. I think the fact that the house was so badly 'renovated' by the landlord a decade ago (carpets glued to the floor, double glazing windows with gaps so big you can feel the wind blowing though them which I sealed up with toothpaste (it was the only thing I had and my room was close to freezing) in my teens as it used to be dual tenancy between me and a parent. Sealing is better now) that it also means that an inspection by the new landlord is basically "walls are intact, check, house isn't on fire, check, roof hasn't collapsed yet, check and so on so I get slightly cheaper rent than other places the same size.

Wife's dad ran out of money before putting house atop basement. Basement got roughed in rooms by her BIL. Her grandad told me he sold his bulldozer when I asked what would fix the place.

Got a hill of dirt behind it that they thought would be used as back-fill. Stopped that once it cracked the walls. So, 40+ years of cinder block and rebar sitting here to eventually cave in. *shrugs* We have 10x12 bedroom, access to a bathroom.

Eventually, ... me and wife will have our own "get there" place.

Wife's dad ran out of money before putting house atop basement. Basement got roughed in rooms by her BIL. Her grandad told me he sold his bulldozer when I asked what would fix the place.

Got a hill of dirt behind it that they thought would be used as back-fill. Stopped that once it cracked the walls. So, 40+ years of cinder block and rebar sitting here to eventually cave in. *shrugs* We have 10x12 bedroom, access to a bathroom.

Eventually, ... me and wife will have our own "get there" place.
Yeah, I live in rented housing right now.
Long term (5-10 years, hopefully less) is to buy some land, probably just an empty field and live there in a caravan either wired up to the grid or running off a generator until I can afford to build a house (most of which I'll do myself, wiring at least as well as the foundations and bricklaying if I can) renting things like diggers and just doing the majority of things myself to save on costs. Here my generation is pretty much doomed to always rent unless they get a bit creative with how they get a home.
Only issue is the field would be literally in the middle of nowhere and I like having fast Internet but I can probably get a fast satellite connection to the house if I need it. I've considered setting up a few old shipping containers underground first (as that way I don't need to apply for planning permission) and then just building over them and using the initial shipping containers as a large basement.
Getting a house that doesn't cost a quarter of a million GBP here is a nightmare unless you move outwards and build it yourself.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I live in rented housing right now.
Long term (5-10 years, hopefully less) is to buy some land, probably just an empty field and live there in a caravan either wired up to the grid or running off a generator until I can afford to build a house (most of which I'll do myself, wiring at least as well as the foundations and bricklaying if I can) renting things like diggers and just doing the majority of things myself to save on costs. Here my generation is pretty much doomed to always rent unless they get a bit creative with how they get a home.
Only issue is the field would be literally in the middle of nowhere and I like having fast Internet but I can probably get a fast satellite connection to the house if I need it. I've considered setting up a few old shipping containers underground first (as that way I don't need to apply for planning permission) and then just building over them and using the initial shipping containers as a large basement.
Getting a house that doesn't cost a quarter of a million GBP here is a nightmare unless you move outwards and build it yourself.

Hear all the above, brother, man.

I too would love thinking I could handle a good portion of DIY a home. There's a lovely series of books called Foxfire. These are kind of topical encyclopedia of Appalachian wisdom. These books explain making stone foundations for barns/houses. They discuss and explain how to make rope beds, trading mules, running stihls, gardening and good old fashion common knowledge.

Yes, would love to think I got the "moxie" required to do it all. And yes to a degree I might got a good bit. It's the rest of it what concerns me. Then, also facing reality. Reality tells me I got no business swinging around 500lb/35.71stone logs anymore. Yeah, can see & feel that just isn't going to be happening anymore too. *chuckles*

Sure you can use levers, pulleys and the like. That helps but then you got the original getting stuff fit in, the what if it breaks and all the good fun what comes along. Not telling you anything you lack knowing. Feel you too got the t-shirts what read, "been there, done that". I used to help wife's granddad. We would erect pole barns in a day, of course we cheated unfairly by using tin walls, roofing. Did as a child though help some Amish set up a real wood barn.

Got no problem with the work nor a desire to do. Its realizing I don't move like I did and that creates doubt, stress, pain. Vicious cycle then leading to "nah, I'll let some paid pro do it". Of course we can always go the route of modular home, or trailer (much as I'm keen to not live in a can).

Tired of renting and yeah I know the bank or state will actually still own whatever even if we got free & clear deed/s. Still it's nice to have that sense of ownership no matter the falseness. As to where? Well, lived rural all my life so it'll need be country. Don't want to live in a city. Never could understand such like.

"Oh, all the conveniences! You gotta loves the city!"

"Yeah, trade off your right to fart in your bathroom for that did ya? Lolly joy to ya then! Ha!"

No rent here presently, merely mind portion of or all the utilities. We got water, leccy, internet, think we do the bin pick-up too. None of it really too out of hand, just a boggle to see it done.

Clear at times the wife sis & BIL pay little if anything on these bills. This is why I phrased as I did. Not sure exactly what we're paying. Wife handles it as she's more diplomatic & well, I keep getting cued to be the "better person", "smile & nod, dear" "Yes'm."

Me & wife though did live in an apartment for 2 yrs. Then the gov assist decided to raise the rent $100 a month because wife "unfortunately" made $10 over one month. And no we're not going to rent at $500 month when we could see to a house payment at $300 monthly, and own it.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors