Become a Patron!

Vaping and flagyl DO NOT MIX!!

Hello, I tell everyone I can about this because it can be really bad. I have diverticulosis and sometimes it gets infected, (Diverticulitis) and if anyone else has it knows they pump u full of antibiotics. Specifically Ceprin and Flagyl. What no Dr thinks to tell their patients is Flagyl reduces the bodies ability to break down alcohol and one other important thing....... Propylene Glycol.... The bottle says to not drink alcohol but nothing about propylene glycol. What happens in a normal situation is it takes about 3 days for your body to break down PG, flagyl stops the ability to break it down and it in fact starts to poison your body. I was hospitalized with 8% kidney function due to this. Once i figured out what was causing this i both stopped the flagyl and stopped vaping temporarily. I Have fully recovered and it was just an acute issue. I am still vaping but now when i have diverticulitus i skip the flagyl. Please learn from my Issue and tell anyone you know who vapes and has to take flagyl. Hope this finds someone soon enough. Best of luck out there.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm a nurse and it is suppose to be listed as a interaction. (Interaction pathway similar to alcohol) A link for future reference.
https://www.rxlist.com/flagyl-drug.htm#description
Go to interaction (scroll down) with alcohol. I have to know this because I give the medication to patients.
The information is usually given to people at the pharmacy. Always ask your pharmacy about interactions if concern is warranted. :)

oh it was in the booklet that was given, I just think this is something that should be put on the bottle. I also think if the Dr I am seeing knows I vape because I openly tell them, that this is something they should tell their patients.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What about polyglycol in so many foods? Inhalers? Lotions?

Hey @KrayKloudz...I just started taking Flagyl myself and I'm a vaper (currently 50/50 blend)...I stopped vaping approximately 16 hrs prior to my first dose. But I'm still really uncomfortable. Would you mind sharing the symptoms that led to your hospitalization? And how quickly after starting the medicine this happened? I'm starting to get pretty worried.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you make your own eliquid, you can buy VG-based nic base and the only PG that might be in it is any PG that would be in the flavoring, which should be minimal.

Hey @KrayKloudz...I just started taking Flagyl myself and I'm a vaper (currently 50/50 blend)...I stopped vaping approximately 16 hrs prior to my first dose. But I'm still really uncomfortable. Would you mind sharing the symptoms that led to your hospitalization? And how quickly after starting the medicine this happened? I'm starting to get pretty worried.
I started getting severe pains in my lower back. I was in a car on a trip and every bump was excruciating all in the kidney area.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info! And sorry for my duplicate posting, I'm very new to the forum.

Personally I decided to stop Flagyl after 2 doses and request a different antibiotic. I'm 36 hours out from my last dose and starting using the vape here and there around the 18 hr after mark. I'm being cautious because I don't want any complications.

That is for sharing your experience!

Good afternoon! I took my first dose of Flagyl this morning and just realized what it said about PG. I currently vape 65 VG 35 PG should I be concerned? Will 1 dose of 500mg Flagyl cause issues?

VU Sponsors