Become a Patron!

Vaping from Cigars... not cigarettes..

Hey guys,

Im generally a really healthy guy (Hell, I went to college for exercise physiology and now I own a gym) But Ive always "indulged" in a cigar or pipe (tobacco) to relax ever since college (Obviously the cigars I had in college were much cheaper and infrequent) But now w/ more $$ I was able to get a humidor and start smoking regularly. I believe the biggest plus I had as a cigar smoker was a smoking forum/camaraderie (brother of the leaf they call it). I always smoked for taste and less for nicotine, but some of my favorite cigars really kicked my keister on the nic levels.

I found vaping when it was still in the crappy little fake cigarette phase (2008 ish) and mods were expensive/rare. (Blu was the most popular - i got a box of those...) - I made wicking material out of whatever we could find and make my own e juice because nobody was selling it. Needless to say a billion unsuspecting dry hits later, I moved on to hookahs as I usually smoked with friends (roommates) and they were into that.

Hookahs were awesome, but once again - health concerns. I *Only* get sick with ear/throat issues, and smoking seemed to irritate that. I also smell like smoke if I don't bathe like crazy (I have a greek beard which is basically face pubes and loves to smell like whatever its near - if I barbecue, it smells like hickory for a week.)

So I got back into vaping about a year ago, bought a few cheap tanks from a head shop and broke out the materials/ordered flavors and make some e juice. Immediately broke every tank (I know better now) and had a few bad batteries, just frustrating stuff. I got a few mechanical mod clones that were cheap and gunked up/threads kinda sucked and I ended up giving up and ignoring it for a year or so.

Now, Since I cant go in to work smelling like tobacco smoke, Most of my cigar "collection" has sat and not done much other than age nicely for the last year.

I decided that I've been stressed and wanted to have a cigar while working on my motorcycle a few weeks ago - It irritated my eyes, and made me feel nic-sick within 1/4 of the smoke. Instead of being relaxing, it pissed me off.

A few weeks later I was driving down the road to work and noticed that there was a new smoke shop in town (Smokers Haven in Nashua) I popped in and the guy was really helpful with explaining how a dripper works vs a tank (tanks I had always leaked so I was asking about alternatives) He showed me a few options, but me wanting flavor more than clouds - he suggested a Magma Clone (he told me it was a clone too, super up front and honest, he said they had real ones but they're much more expensive) I figured I would try it out, and if I liked it - id get some genuine ones eventually - I've been on and off about vaping so many times now that I didn't want to commit and regret spending $100+. He even took the exact one I was gonna buy apart and showed me the machining and pointed out pros/cons of that specific one. I bought the clone, got on my comp when I got home and made some (not great) coils from kanthal I had from previous vaping adventures. Needless to say - I'm hooked now and ready to go all in. Drippers RULE and there are no issues with leaking or anything with this one. (the only mod I have that works is a 26650 clone and HUGE tank that goes with it - so Ill be using that til my stuff comes in..)

I've done some research and ordered an eleaf Mini and 50w, one for home/backpack one for travel and a few other doodads.

I'm excited to get in to this with a bigger budget and seeing how much vaping has grown. I just need to find a way to sell my $2000 worth of cigars...

ALSO! Ive ALWAYS been a tinkerer, so RDA's make me happy on the inside. Cant wait to get into this hobby as a healthier alternative to cigars/hookahs. Its even more enjoyable without thinking about how "this isnt good for me" guilty thoughts.

Last edited:

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great post since I can totally relate to this. I was spending about 300+ dollars a month on Cigars, and after burning a hole in the seat of my brand new truck, I got pissed off enough to do something about it. Now, a dozen mechs and atty's later, I have found my nic level (6mg), equipment and types of juices I like, and have settled into about a 50 dollars a month.

Started with a nautilus mini and stick battery. After about 1 week I knew that wasn't going to cut it. Looked at many coil building videos and equipment reviews. My first sub ohm puff on a plume veil and a shitty caravela clone opened up a new page. I took 4 boxes of churchill sized cigars (25 each box),tossed them in the trash can, and never looked back. (I smoked about 4 boxes a month) I even had a locker at a Cigar lounge with a nice bottle of scotch in it, and when there, would drop another 20 bucks on a really good cigar. Frequented that place a couple times a week.

People don't realize how much nicotine a cigar can potentially have. I smoked medium to strong cigars for years, and always got a huge nic buzz off the first one in the morning, even though I never inhaled them. The nic strength only increases the further down you smoke them. Smoking a 7inch cigar down to two inches is a major resin hit.

Not only pissed about doing 400 dollars damage to my new truck, my clothes would stink, and the house would stink from the clothes.

Vaping has been a life saver, and the camaraderie here at VU has been wonderful:)

Welcome to the club @Skumbo

VU Sponsors