Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...tors-warn-of-exploding-e-cigarettes/89555688/

Hailey Boyce was chatting and relaxing with friends on the front porch of a friend's Maricopa home when she leaned in, ignited her electronic-cigarette device and inhaled.

Then the 17-year-old fired up the device for another hit.

So she was illegally using the ecig. Great:facepalm:

“They are coming in so fast and furious,” said Dr. Kevin Foster, Arizona Burn Center’s chief of burn services. "We are trying to keep track of all of them."

While such explosions are seemingly rare among the more than 2.5 million Americans who vape,

fast and furious, or seemingly rare? Which is it? it can't be both.

"She said she has "mixed feelings" about the safety of the devices. She does not think there is anything they could have done to prevent her accident, but she also said her device likely exploded due to a problem with the battery casing."

She knows she fucked up and her battery wrap was torn up - 5150

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
She knows she fucked up and her battery wrap was torn up
In the eyes of a product liability lawyer (and most likely a jury), a mod that becomes unsafe if the battery wrap is damaged would be a defective design.

Personally, I would not use such a mod.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
In the eyes of a product liability lawyer (and most likely a jury), a mod that becomes unsafe if the battery wrap is damaged would be a defective design.

Personally, I would not use such a mod.

First: she admitted in the story that she was at fault for abusing the battery and not bothering to put a 2 cent wrap on it when she knew the wrap was damaged.

Second: If the 17 year old wasn't breaking the law the mod would have never been in her hands and the injury would have never occurred therefore the girl is at fault.

In the eyes of the jury it would be on the minor for breaking the law to begin with.

If a 14 year old steals moms car and wrecks it the 14 year old can not sue anybody because he/she was in the wrong before the injury occurred and the 14 year old was breaking the law leading up to the injury also causing the injury.

It's kind of like if I have a car accident where I rear end somebody and it's totally my fault.
If the person I rear ended happens to be piss drunk then the accident is automatically the drunk drivers fault because they were breaking the law when I hit them.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They showed pics of the device on the news tonight and I thought I saw a smpl button. She said it was in the pocket of her hoody on the interview.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
First: she admitted in the story that she was at fault for abusing the battery and not bothering to put a 2 cent wrap on it when she knew the wrap was damaged.

Second: If the 17 year old wasn't breaking the law the mod would have never been in her hands and the injury would have never occurred therefore the girl is at fault.

In the eyes of the jury it would be on the minor for breaking the law to begin with.

If a 14 year old steals moms car and wrecks it the 14 year old can not sue anybody because he/she was in the wrong before the injury occurred and the 14 year old was breaking the law leading up to the injury also causing the injury.

It's kind of like if I have a car accident where I rear end somebody and it's totally my fault.
If the person I rear ended happens to be piss drunk then the accident is automatically the drunk drivers fault because they were breaking the law when I hit them.
I don't know what state you're in, but that's NOT the way insurance works. The DWI will face repercussions regardless, as will the 14yo (and likely his/her parents if they're at fault at all). But no-fault states are just that, and even if not, that the other party was doing something illegal will not absolve you of guilt.

Be that as it may, they can sue the battery company (if the battery was not used in a damaged state) if it is the battery's fault, or they can sue the mod maker, if it's the mod's fault. But neither guarantee a win, and liability would be very difficult to prove if the device is destroyed. Depending on the severity of injury, both companies will likely get together to settle out of court for a very minor sum, if anything. And, the injured will probably have to sign a waiver and an NDA.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
no one will likely win a case because youre using different parts (atty, battery, mod, whatever resistance you have going in the atty whether self made coil or purchased coil heads) and in most if not all websites it states this product is intended for advanced users and in the event of failure it is not at all the providers responsibility... the shops here will even make you sign a waver just to get some batteries or anything mech, rebuildable atomizer and even wire.
its like i buy a car, a honda... i get that honda, install turbo, intake, nitrous, whatever and shit goes wrong. something exploded cause i installed it wrong or just because i pushed it too hard. i get in an accident. you think i can sue honda? the mechanic that aided me in installation? the parts manufacturers? it wont happen, not in this life.
we arent talking about a slip n fall at a supermarket we are talking user error and it can easily be proven as such. even if media is against us no way something like this could hold in court.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The only reason we don't see lawyers swarming over these cases is because the manufacturers tend to be in China, where they're judgement proof by virtue of their location, and the retailers that sell the products are too small to have much in the way of assets. It's hard to get a liability lawyer interested in a case like this if there's nothing in it for him. That doesn't change the fact that it's a bad design, which nobody with real assets to protect would ever put in the hands of a consumer.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The only reason we don't see lawyers swarming over these cases is because the manufacturers tend to be in China, where they're judgement proof by virtue of their location, and the retailers that sell the products are too small to have much in the way of assets. It's hard to get a liability lawyer interested in a case like this if there's nothing in it for him. That doesn't change the fact that it's a bad design, which nobody with real assets to protect would ever put in the hands of a consumer.
that is a whole lot of assumptions

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
that is a whole lot of assumptions

Have to agree. If the percentage of serious injuries due to batteries venting/exploding in devices in ANY industry, we would most certainly hear about it (i.e. "hover" boards). We're just not seeing that in any appreciable amount in the vaping industry at all. In fact, from what I've seen reported in media, more people's iPhones explode than all vaping products put together. Yet, we're not seeing any class action swarms there either.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just in, 35 cases of battery exploding on the Sammy 7's recalling all of them, ohhhhhh but vaping is so much more dangerous:wait::wait::wait::wait::wait:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have to agree. If the percentage of serious injuries due to batteries venting/exploding in devices in ANY industry, we would most certainly hear about it (i.e. "hover" boards). We're just not seeing that in any appreciable amount in the vaping industry at all. In fact, from what I've seen reported in media, more people's iPhones explode than all vaping products put together. Yet, we're not seeing any class action swarms there either.
I've had a battery pack for my 40v trimmer go south and burn. Notified the manufacturer and filed a report with the Product safety folks. The manufacturer wasn't too pleased I did that, but sent 4 new batteries with a new charger anyway. They recalled the old battery packs and sent new ones. Even Tesla had to recall their cars due to battery problems.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
14212613_10154485426241255_1391920610070408830_n.jpg
We just came to this very same conclusion, virtually unanimously, at dinner with my daughter and son-in-law this evening. The only hold out was my mother-in-law, a staunch democrat and Clinton supporter.
<edit> We're all independents except for my mother-in-law.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
We just came to this very same conclusion, virtually unanimously, at dinner with my daughter and son-in-law this evening. The only hold out was my mother-in-law, a staunch democrat and Clinton supporter.
<edit> We're all independents except for my mother-in-law.
Apologies -- I had too many tabs open and posted that meme in the wrong thread. It completely off-topic here.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I can see some bullshit happening where someone blows their face and/or nutsack off with that fucking stupid aspire atlantis / smpl clone combo and some dipshit lawyer trying to sue the American maker of the authentic smpl mod.

These vapers that do this stupid shit are not too smart, I can see them going to a lawyer and naming off parts and not using the word "clone"

All of a sudden the lawyer thinks he can bankrupt an American business then he'd be all in.

Then I can see a judge not having a fucking clue what is going on when the mod makers lawyer tries to explain what the difference between an authentic and a clone is.

This scenario will play out eventually and I bet the authentic mod maker will have a hell of a time trying to prove that a bag full of charred metal covered in his company's logos isn't actually made by his company.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Metallurgy. Unless the original and clone are made from the same source material, the impurities that exist within the metal should clearly identify original from clone.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In fact, from what I've seen reported in media, more people's iPhones explode than all vaping products put together. Yet, we're not seeing any class action swarms there either.

But we do see recalls, redesigns, changes in batteries in those products. And, limited handling of the batteries by the consumer. In other words, there is an active effort for consumer safety.

A device that requires handling of the potentially explody batteries on a regular basis should be built with the knowledge that a battery with a damaged wrap could be installed.

I agree with Rossum. It could be a liability issue.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
But we do see recalls, redesigns, changes in batteries in those products. And, limited handling of the batteries by the consumer. In other words, there is an active effort for consumer safety.

A device that requires handling of the potentially explody batteries on a regular basis should be built with the knowledge that a battery with a damaged wrap could be installed.

I agree with Rossum. It could be a liability issue.

which is why everything will come from China eventually
they are the only ones protected from stupid people with slick lawyers

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
which is why everything will come from China eventually
they are the only ones protected from stupid people with slick lawyers

A cheap labor force and minimal regulation gives China the advantage. I'm pretty sure I could design a mech mod without metal next to a flimsy battery wrap that's prone to tears. Maybe encase the batteries in a plastic sleeve. I haven't put any thought at all into it at this point but you get the idea. And thus reduce or eliminate any liability.

While I do not care for frivolous lawsuits, civil suits are great tools to ensure a manufacturer makes a reasonably safe product. I like civil suits better than I like regulation.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A cheap labor force and minimal regulation gives China the advantage. I'm pretty sure I could design a mech mod without metal next to a flimsy battery wrap that's prone to tears. Maybe encase the batteries in a plastic sleeve. I haven't put any thought at all into it at this point but you get the idea. And thus reduce or eliminate any liability.

While I do not care for frivolous lawsuits, civil suits are great tools to ensure a manufacturer makes a reasonably safe product. I like civil suits better than I like regulation.

China is in a position similar to the US's in the late 60s/early 70s -- massive manufacturing, massive pollution because of it. I pay close attention to anything relating to the Chinese air pollution problem, because once they figure out that it's all that manufacturing causing it, many things are going to change drastically. Not just for vaping, but every single thing manufactured in China -- ONE HELL OF A LOT OF STUFF! -- is going to cost more, and be harder to get. Or, it'll move to some new/emerging 3rd world venue -- but China is a very big country with a very huge population, so any new venue will necessary be smaller.

Andria

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
China is in a position similar to the US's in the late 60s/early 70s -- massive manufacturing, massive pollution because of it. I pay close attention to anything relating to the Chinese air pollution problem, because once they figure out that it's all that manufacturing causing it, many things are going to change drastically. Not just for vaping, but every single thing manufactured in China -- ONE HELL OF A LOT OF STUFF! -- is going to cost more, and be harder to get. Or, it'll move to some new/emerging 3rd world venue -- but China is a very big country with a very huge population, so any new venue will necessary be smaller.

Andria

No. China is well aware of where pollution comes from. Nothing is going to change.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
No. China is well aware of where pollution comes from. Nothing is going to change.

Because in their quest for power they really don't give a fuck about pollution.
We are being trampled on by these other countries because we have turned into a bunch of lazy, stupid, pussies.

VU Sponsors