Become a Patron!

Vaporesso GEN Nano 80W GTX Tank 22 Kit

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the GEN Nano 80W Kit from Vaporesso. The GEN Nano Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Jessica from Vaporesso.

https://www.vaporesso.com/vape-kits/gen-nano

Introduction

The first thing to mention for those that don't already know is that Vaporesso's parent company Smoore International has gone public and become the first vaping company listed in Honk Kong which can only be good news for vaping.

The Gen Nano is basically a baby Gen with 2000mAh in-built battery. Paired with the Gen Nano in this kit is the GTX Tank 22 which like the NRG-S Tank that came with the Gen S comes in colours to perfectly match the device. The Gen Nano has the same Axon chip as the Gen with reduced maximum power of 80w and includes the same new flagship modes Pulse and Smart TC. Coming in 6 very nice colour options and packing a real punch let's give the Gen Nano Kit a good look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x GEN NANO MOD
1 x GTX TANK 22 (3.5ml standard edition, 2ml TPD edition)
1 x GTX 0.2Ω MESH Coil
1 x GTX 0.6Ω MESH Coil
1 x Glass Tube(2ml)
3 x O-ring
1 x USB Cable
1 x GTX Coil Reminder Card
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Gen Nano Kit came in the usual style of cardboard packaging that Vaporesso products come in with both the Gen device and GTX Tank 22 in the top tray and other accessories below. On opening it's just like a pair of Gens got it on and produced a bundle of Joy lol, it's a Gen but so very cute!

It's very small so great for out and about but has the exact same form factor and anti skid textured finish as the original just shrunken down. In fact apart from the USB port being moved to the side and the navigational and mode buttons now forming a triangle rather than lining up in a vertical row the device is aesthetically identical to the Gen and has the same high build quality and durable finish.

I received the Green version which is Black at the very bottom and fuses into a Forest Green about 30% up the device, it comes with a Green GTX Tank 22 which has knurling that mimics the finish of the Nano and is the same Forest green for a perfect match. The options are Black, Silver, Red, Blue, Purple or Green, all come with a GTX Tank 22 in a perfect colour match. As far as the detailed description of the device i will give my typing finger (yes i type with one finger) a rest and leave that to the photos!

Gen left, Nano middle, Swag 2 right!

GTX Tank 22 Specs and Features:

Diameter at Base: 22mm
Height: 49.4mm (including drip tip)
Capacity: 3.5ml (2ml TPD)
Compatible with GTX coils
Bottom airflow control (Tri-slot)
Pull & Push coil replacement
Top filling system
Thread: 510
Colours: Purple, Red, Silver, Black, Blue, Green

GTX Tank 22 Overview

The GTX Tank 22 gets it's name from accommodating the GTX range of coils and having a 22mm diameter at it's base.

Unlike the GTX Tank 18 which is marketed as a MTL/RDL tank which is accurate as it's an old school MTL stock coil tank with a series of 5 small airflow holes the GTX Tank 22 with it's tri slots airflow is a RDL/DL Tank.

Up top we have a wide bore delrin drip-tip which has a standard 510 fitting so you can use alternatives if you prefer and the top-cap screws off to reveal a wide open glass to fill as was once common before fill ports became the norm. My only con for the tank isn't the fill method but that with top-caps these days that can be removed in an instant this has quite long threading. The glass fits over a thick o-ring to the bottom of the tank and seals against an o-ring which is installed within the top-cap, we have central threading to secure the top-cap via threading on the chimney section.

The base section with airflow control unscrews from the tank to reveal we have a cradle for plug n play coils to be press fitted into. The GTX coil head just gets press fitted into place then the base section can be screwed back on to secure everything.

The top-fill method and how the coils get fitted is just like the GTX Tank 18 but to match the Nano we have knurling top and bottom to mimic the finish on the Nano making the appearance of the Tank very much like the NRG-S which comes with the Gen S.

The Coils

The GTX Tank 22 accommodates the same GTX range of coils that Vaporesso have been using for their pod mod range so a big plus for cross compatibility and it also meant before testing this device i was already familiar with 4 of the available coils including the 0.6ohm mesh coil included but the 0.2ohm mesh coil is new.

Pre-installed is the 0.2ohm mesh coil head which is rated between 45 - 60w, also included is the 0.6ohm mesh coil head recommended between 20 - 30w.

The available coil heads are pictured below which includes an RBA for a rebuildable option, plus not pictured there is also a 1.2ohm mesh coil but that won't really be suitable for this tank.

Gen Nano Specs and Features:

Size: 40.3 (length) x 24.2 (width) mm
Output Power: 5-80W
Battery Capacity: Built-in 2000mAh
Display: 0.91" OLED Screen
Charging Current: DC 5V/2A, Micro USB
Pulse, Eco and Smart TC modes
Variable Wattage, TC, Variable Voltage, Curves
Remarkable AXON chip inside
Smooth grip and portable size
Fingerprint resistance and scratch resistance shell
2000mAh battery with 80W adjustable power
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Silver, Red, Blue, Purple, Green

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Display

We have a real contradiction with the Gen Nano being such a feature rich innovative device yet it has a very basic Old School style screen which still appeals to many and i believe this is quite deliberate as it makes the whole device less overwhelming and quite easy to navigate.

The screen is bright and sharp and the brightness can be adjusted. Top left we have a battery status bar and also within the battery status bar we have the remaining charge given as a percentage. Underneath the battery bar we have the resistance and then below that the puff counter which shows puff duration when firing. Central and taking up most of the display we have the wattage, temperature or voltage depending which mode you are using, top right we have the mode and bottom right the best recommended wattage range.

Navigating The Gen Nano

The Gen S is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on 3 clicks of the fire button locks and unlocks the navigational and mode buttons but when locked the device will still fire. Holding down both the mode and fire buttons together brings up an information screen giving serial number and firmware version.

The menu is very old school giving a row of icons which when you try to carry on scrolling past the last one displayed if there are any more in that section then the others appear on the screen, the last icon is always exit and also having a mode button the whole system is easy to navigate even if sounding complicated when i try to explain it.

To enter the menu you can either long press the mode button or click it 3 times and it brings up the following options, Pulse mode, Power Eco, Smart TC, DIY Mode, System Set and Exit.

Choosing either Pulse mode, Power Eco or Smart TC takes you to that working screen and i will go through these features later. Choosing DIY Mode brings up the following options Variable wattage, Variable Temperature, Variable Voltage, Custom Wattage Curve, Bypass, Super Player Mode and Exit.

Curves, Variable Voltage and Bypass are all straightforward and Super player mode is a feature that Vaporesso have included for a while now where it allows you to fire down to 0.05ohm and something i really don't care for. Choosing Variable Wattage gives you the choice of Normal, Soft or Hard pre-heats and Variable Temperature first allows you to choose your wire type and then allows you to alter the TCR, set wattage for temp control and lock resistance.

The Final option in the main menu is System Settings which allows you to reset your puff counter, set vape time allowed, adjust brightness, turn smart wattage on or off, flip the screen, turn automatic eco on or off, set device to default and finally bring up the same information screen that can be accessed with the mode and fire button together from the working screen.

The device adjusts in 0.5W increments from 5W all the way up to 80W but when holding the button down it changes to 1W increments, this is slightly different to the Gen and i actually prefer the O.5W over the 0.1W increments we get on the full sized version.

Pulse Mode

Pulse mode is the default mode and along with Eco and Smart TC are in the first tier of the menu system with the more traditional modes being in DIY in the second tier. The idea of Pulse Mode is to give you more consistent power so instead of your initial fire which once it hits set wattage can dip in Pulse mode it's continuously firing every 0.02 seconds up to 500 times in one vape giving consistent power.

Power Eco Mode

When in Power Eco Mode it optimises your settings despite that you are still setting the settings, if you are in other modes it will also ask if you want the device to use Eco Mode when the battery life gets down to 40%.

Why when it sill uses your settings does it become so much more efficient and why not efficient in the first place? I can only go by my experience but i have used this mode on both the Gen and Gen Nano and have noticed little if any improvement in battery life!

Smart TC

When using Smart TC and you first attach your atomizer it fires the atomizer for a micro second and scans the information. It recognises wire type and ohms extra and automatically gives the best TC settings for that coil. When using Pulse mode it also fires and scans the atomiser and if it's a TC coil asks if you want to use Smart TC, likewise if you have the device in Smart TC mode and the atomizer you attach doesn't have a TC compatible coil it will jump the device out of Smart TC and into Pulse Mode. I absolutely love this mode and use it with the Gen often, with the Gen Nano i just stuck an RTA with an SS build on the device to just check it worked the same and of course it did, for the rest of the time i tested the device with the supplied GTX Tank.

Protections:

Overtime Protection
Overheat Protection
Short Circuit Protection
USB Input Protection
No Load Protection
Overcharging Protection
Resistance Protection

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Charging

I really think all devices should now be released with Type C USB so a bit disappointing the Gen Nano has a standard micro USB but not a deal breaker especially with what this device offers. It does have 2A charging though so the device can be fully charged in about an hour while supporting pass-through!

During charging the screen displays a battery progress bar with the percentage also given as a percentage within that bar, the remaining charge time is also given which i like a lot.

My Experience Using The Gen Nano Kit And Thoughts!

What a great little kit this is, i can't think of another device this small and accommodating an in-built battery that's so feature rich! The GTX Tank 22 is a decent enough sub-ohm tank although i'm not a great fan of it's fill method as it takes some time compared to most fill methods we see these days and when using some of the lower ohm GTX coil heads including the pre-installed 0.2ohm coil it's 3.5ml capacity is not the greatest and i needed to fill quite often.

After saying that i like the PnP style of fitting coils and using the same coil family as Vaporesso use for their pod mod devices is great as the cross compatibility will make the coils much more available and more coil heads keep getting added to the range, we are up to 6 different coil heads and an RBA coil head to date also giving a rebuidable option.

The 0.2ohm mesh coil head gave loads of air so i needed to close the airflow down halfway for the restriction i like, the flavour was decent but i didn't use this coil head too long because at 55w the 2000mAh battery life wasn't very good so i switched to the 0.6ohm mesh coil head which gave much better battery life at 25w. The 0.6ohm coil head was much more restricted and gave really good flavour, definitely better flavour than the 0.2ohm coil head and i used this coil for the duration of testing and it's still going strong but then i find both the GT and GTX coil heads from Vaporesso give decent longevity.

The little Gen is a little Gem and i love it, i'm not really much of a fan of box mods with in-built batteries but this little pocket rocket most will make an exception for! The only things i noticed different to it's full size parent was it gives a recommended wattage range bottom right of the display which you can either use as a guide or choose to ignore, the maximum wattage of course is lower and the wattage scrolls in 0.5w increments rather than 0.1w increments which i much prefer.

The DIY option in the menu brings up all the usual modes, Variable Wattage, TC, Variable Voltage, Curves, Bypass and Super player mode as well as having a settings menu to set a host of features but if that isn't feature packed enough for you in the first tier of the menu we have Vaporesso's new flagship modes, Pulse, Eco and Smart TC with Pulse being the default mode.

The more i use Pulse mode the more i am getting convinced by it and although i just tested it out on this device rather than using it for a long period i am already a big fan of the Smart TC mode which makes TC effortless. I am still not convinced by the battery life saving that ECO gives but i'm sure there is some improvement that i'm just not noticing, overall what a great little device the Gen Nano is!

All your 24mm and 22mm atty's will look good up top and my own opinion is with the limited 2000mAh battery life which is a trade off for it's small size the Nano would be at it's best paired with MTL atty's then that 2000mAh life would become very decent, although battery life was fair when using the 0.6ohm coil head and there is a 0.8ohm mesh coil head available rated between 12w and 20w which i feel should of been included rather than the 0.2ohm coil head. I also really wish Vaporesso would fit Type C USB to their devices but at least the Gen Nano has 2A charging allowing the device to be charged in about an hour while supporting pass-through and giving good feedback.

Very good build quality
Grippy textured rubber finish
Finish seems very durable
Ergonomic, portable device
Lightweight
6 Colour options
GTX Tank 22 matches both colour and aesthetics of device
Old school, sharp bright display
Easy to navigate
Battery status shown both as a bar and as a percentage
Mode Button
Feature rich
Variable Wattage, Voltage, TC, Bypass, SP Mode and Wattage Curve
Pulse Mode (liking this more and more)
Power Eco Mode (not convinced)
Smart TC (Loved using this mode)
Best wattage recommendation given
Scrolls in 0.5w increments (1w with button held down) at good pace
Performed excellently
Up to 24mm atty's without overhang
Firmware Upgradeable
2A charge rate, good charging feedback given, takes about an hour
Supports Pass-through
GTX Tank 22, Decent tank
Compatible with GTX range of coils
Good flavour 0.6ohm mesh coil head
Decent longevity GTX range of coils
PnP coil type
Rebuildable option
2 different GT mesh coil heads included
Spare 2ml glass included

Cons

Not great battery life with some of the lower ohm GTX coils
Still not Type C USB
Power Eco Mode does little from what i experience to improve battery life
Included 0.2ohm mesh coil head not best match-up (ploughs through battery life)
0.8ohm mesh coil head would be better match-up (my opinion)
3.5ml Maximum capacity
Don't like fill method

I would once again like to thank Jessica from vaporesso for supplying the Gen Nano Kit for the purpose of this review, thanks for reading and stay safe!

https://www.vaporesso.com/vape-kits/gen-nano

VU Sponsors