Become a Patron!

Velocity RDA Help

I bought a Velocity RDA clone and I was wondering what supplies i would need. This is my first time using an RDA. I have a SMOK xcube 150 watt and samsung 25r batteries. I would like to know what gauge i should use when im using Kanthal wire and how low i can go with my Ohms.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I am unsure of the specs on your mod.
but have you rebuilt a tank?
if not. you would need, some wire, an ohm meter, nail clippers or wire snips, and something to wrap your coil around.
check you tube for building tutorials. For your first build, I woul ddo something easy like 7/8 wraps of 24g around a 3mm bit.

best of luck, and congrats.

I'm sure people with more knowledge of your gear will be along to help

Reactions: Tol

StereoFreeze

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I second the items fir3b1rd recommended and when it comes to figuring out the configuration for your coils the Steam-Engine coil calculator is your friend. If you have the funds, the coil master kit has all the tools you will need and is available on Amazon. I like working with 24 or 26 gauge Kanthal and Japanese cotton for wicks. Some of the wire suppliers on Amazon sell spools of Kanthal with a small package of cotton with it. Or you can just buy the big bag and be set for a long while. This video is also a great place to start for a simple RDA build. I couldn't easily find the low range for ohms on your device in power mode, but I would shoot for .4 - .6 on your first build. The velocity deck is really easy to build on since no coil legs share the same hole, good choice for a first rda.

Tol

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never had issues with my hex screws, but many have.

Vaping Walrus is probably the best place for clones parts for the velocity though. They sell screws, replacement decks (in case you want spares), o-rings, drip tip adapters, allen keys, and bottom feed pins. :)

I would buy a set of slotted grub screws and a set of o-rings from there. (when they are back in stock, they run out quickly)

Other than that, I would suggest 26 or 28 ga Kanthal to start. Personally I like 26. You can start nice and easy with builds.
As a basic build, I like to do Dual 26ga, 3mm ID, 7 to 9 wraps will give you between 0.5 and 0.65 Ohms
Try to line the height of your coils up so that they are centered between the post holes and adjust from there to your liking.

Watch a bunch of videos how building & wicking, there are a bunch specifically for the velocity. If you don't get it right at first (wicking in general takes some time to get down) keep on trying, it is well worth it. You don't need to build crazy low resistance on Kanthal either when using a regulated mod, the name of the game is Surface Area. Steam engine is a fantastic tool to plan out builds.

Good luck, if you have any questions on any of it, feel free to ask.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
+1 on the builds. Steam Engine is your friend. Some kind of coil tool with varying mandrel sizes is helpful, but not required. Definitely get an ohmmeter. I personally think USAOhmmeter's Ultimate model is the best buy for price, accuracy and durability. A lot of peeps like the 521 Tab, and it's the way to go if you want to test fire your coils on the meter. I like rayon better than cotton for wicks (don't flame me, bro!) And safety first: don't build below .5 or so until you're comfortable with the process. Remember there's a learning curve; stick with it.

This is the coil tool I use. Three bucks at MFS.
20151120_204647.jpg

Tol

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a CoilMaster kit which has served me well if you don't already have most the tools, it will be cheaper to get something like that than buying them all separately. After I get my builds done, I carry the Scissors & Elbow Tweezers with me in a small case along with some Rayon & Cotton.

Ceramic Tipped Tweezers are very helpful too (also in that kit) If you don't buy a kit, pick up a pair of those as well:

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I never had issues with my hex screws, but many have.

Vaping Walrus is probably the best place for clones parts for the velocity though. They sell screws, replacement decks (in case you want spares), o-rings, drip tip adapters, allen keys, and bottom feed pins. :)

I would buy a set of slotted grub screws and a set of o-rings from there. (when they are back in stock, they run out quickly)

Other than that, I would suggest 26 or 28 ga Kanthal to start. Personally I like 26. You can start nice and easy with builds.
As a basic build, I like to do Dual 26ga, 3mm ID, 7 to 9 wraps will give you between 0.5 and 0.65 Ohms
Try to line the height of your coils up so that they are centered between the post holes and adjust from there to your liking.

Watch a bunch of videos how building & wicking, there are a bunch specifically for the velocity. If you don't get it right at first (wicking in general takes some time to get down) keep on trying, it is well worth it. You don't need to build crazy low resistance on Kanthal either when using a regulated mod, the name of the game is Surface Area. Steam engine is a fantastic tool to plan out builds.

Good luck, if you have any questions on any of it, feel free to ask.
One of my grubs rounded out. The other 3 are fine but, the allen key that came with is a tad too small. A hex bit works better but I plan finding some slotted ones as well.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One of my grubs rounded out. The other 3 are fine but, the allen key that came with is a tad too small. A hex bit works better but I plan finding some slotted ones as well.
Vaping walrus.
If you are there look at the tm clones they got..
Mine has been quickly replacing the velocity for daily use.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Vaping walrus.
If you are there look at the tm clones they got..
Mine has been quickly replacing the velocity for daily use.
Is there a certain size grub for the Tobeco Velocity or are they all universal? I will check out the clones.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The slotted grubs they have at VW fit well for the tobecco, nice and flush.
I see you get 8 slotted grubs! Going to order extra rings too. Just placed order. Thanks! Appreciate it!

Tol

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah the slotted from Avid fit fine, but VW gives you 8 instead of 4 for the same price. O-rings are out of stock often, but I know from buying the authentic o-rings that avid sells, the authentic uses all the same sized rings, and the tobecco needs 2 that size and 1 slightly smaller.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah the slotted from Avid fit fine, but VW gives you 8 instead of 4 for the same price. O-rings are out of stock often, but I know from buying the authentic o-rings that avid sells, the authentic uses all the same sized rings, and the tobecco needs 2 that size and 1 slightly smaller.
Yea, the rings were out of stock but ordered the screw and actually ordered another Velocity lol. Black this time. Been wanting a black one. So now I have a Boreas and a second Velocity coming. Said I wasnt going to order shit this week!

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm going to echo pretty much everyone else here. Start with something like 24 or 26 gauge kanthal and build simple coils at first. Use steam engine to help figure out how many wraps you need to get a specific resistance. There's loads of youtube videos out there that will show you how to build simple coils. I personally use a set of jeweler screwdrivers where the shafts are specific sizes, such as 2.5 mm and 3 mm and I wrap around those. The coil tool that suprtrkr mentioned above works great as well. One thing I don't think I saw mentioned was a drill. A trick that makes coil wrapping easier is using a drill to straighten out your wire, it makes it much easier to wrap. You don't need anything fancy or high end, a cheapo drill will do. You'll also be able to use the drill when you start making claptons or fancier builds later on. You'll want some form of needle nose pliers or ceramic tip tweezers for squeezing your coils as well. Look around ebay, Amazon and some of the vape sites, and you can find kits that have all the tools like the ohm meter/build tool, wrapping tool, scissors and tweezers. A nice thing about the velocity deck is that you can do dual parallel coils pretty easy on them, and it produces some decent vapor and flavor even with the single wire coils.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
+1 on the builds. Steam Engine is your friend. Some kind of coil tool with varying mandrel sizes is helpful, but not required. Definitely get an ohmmeter. I personally think USAOhmmeter's Ultimate model is the best buy for price, accuracy and durability. A lot of peeps like the 521 Tab, and it's the way to go if you want to test fire your coils on the meter. I like rayon better than cotton for wicks (don't flame me, bro!) And safety first: don't build below .5 or so until you're comfortable with the process. Remember there's a learning curve; stick with it.

This is the coil tool I use. Three bucks at MFS.
View attachment 45540

Much the same kind of set up I'm using. Have just a cheap ohmmeter though. It suffices. Like the 28ga kanthal but may try using stainless steel wire. Loving using rayon as wick. Real clean vape off of it compared to Ready-X-Wick.

VU Sponsors