Become a Patron!

Vertabraid braided coil

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Good day!
Built my first braided coil last night. I was surprised at 1)how easy it was (once you get going) and 2)how freakin' well it vapes!
16c486effb95510b571fb7a15a3cf870.jpg
84f5f1ed4bc98dd92d934c626cb19b7e.jpg

It looks a little jumbled i admit (used the wrong screwdriver to wrap it initially so the braids didn't line up too nicely) but man does it perform! I used 28g nichrome 80. Five wraps came out to .2 ohms exactly. Flavor is exceptional, though not quite up there with something like a staggered clapton. Vapor production is awesome, especially for 28g. It took maybe 20 minutes to build, the hardest part was just prepping the wire to braid since i don't have a vice. I duct taped the twisted ends of the wires to the edge of a countertop and the process worked very well. Below is the video i used for instructions. If anyone decides to give this a go i would love to see some photos and thoughts! Cheers!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
135784b1028341bdb219568ffeb0f0e5.jpg
c139b5cd4a72179cbc2700e140cf5d07.jpg
965502194efcaf10a2ae26d173cc7d18.jpg
c6b2d86fcad214e27d1eece14b98f289.jpg

Built a dual coil today, this time with 30g Nichrome 80. I'm loving how this thing performs, vapor and flavor are kickass. Oddly this coil seems to add a bit of a throat hit, which i actually like. It mellows out a bit after some use though. Dual 6 wraps around a 2.4mm screwdriver ohms out to .25. Took about 6ft of N80 to make 1ft of braided wire (Three 2ft loops) This stuff is just a lotta fun to make, a much different process than most, and i was able to give my drill a break haha

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Notes: after using the dual vertabraid coil for a whole day, there is one thing that i noticed. This coil is remarkably efficient in terms of juice consumption. On a day where i would easily polish off a 30ml bottle of juice, i'm just now about to hit the 15ml mark. That's HALF of what i would normally go through. I can only assume it's because of the peculiar way that the coil achieves its vast surface area. Once the hot spots are worked out, the coil heats almost perfectly even, just hardly heating up in the center first. I'm sure there will be more observations to follow. Carry on :D

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
edit: I read the details above. I do have a little 28 guage and alot of 22 guage I wonder what would mix well with the 2

Last edited:

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This looks killer. Will try on my day off.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Will try with kanthal.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I might be in love with my Mutation X again thanks to this variation:
49f03b8aa9676ccf8031b6b068d51627.jpg

ef2efbff915d7d3cae2ce67823c8c85a.jpg

8bcdf34ee6591fed7ec8032c36cc2b7e.jpg

~6 loop vertabraid
~30g Nichrome 80 (twistedmesses.com)
~Single coil, 4 wraps @ 2.4mm clocks in at about
.17-.19ohms (janky ohm reader)

Flavor is without a doubt the BEST i've gotten outta the Mutation X. The vapor you ask?? Well, the vapor......
b7f34552f72139198a6db3293c889b84.jpg

.....Is pretty freaking insane. For a single coil i'm highly impressed!! Talk all you want about "gimmicky" coils, this thing performs like a BEAST!
Cheers!

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice man. I've never tried a single coil. How do you wick one? And yea the wire costs like a damn $1 per foot. Ill be purchasing kanthal on eBay from now on

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I picked up 15 feet of 26 guage yesterday :)
Nice! Here are some links to where i buy my wire, should save you a fortune :D
http://jacobs-online.biz/nichrome_v_wire.htm
http://twistedmesses.com/product-category/all-products/
http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/search.html?category=Resistance_Wire&page=2

Just don't buy the ribbon wire from Temco. It's got a weird curve to it that makes it more or less unusable for coils. Instead go here of you want some ribbon action:
http://www.kidneypuncher.com/resistance-wire/

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did single 5/5 wrap with 22 guage kanthal in the petri just because. I do like it. Instant heat. A Tad cooler vape. Flavor still amazing. Ill make a complex build when I got the time. I'm gonna try the braid with the 26 I picked up, it's kanthal as well.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a mutation x too but no stainless mod anymore. I sold my fuchai to help pay for the dotmod. Some twisted 26 may do the trick. I don't think any coil won't have good flavor in the petri :)

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ordered 30 feet of the nichrome 80 today in 30 gushed and 34 guage and to compare to kanthal in the simple wrap 10 feet of nichrome 80 in 22 gA. Wow! So much cheaper!!!! Paid a dollar per foot for 26 ga kanthal in store. Soon I will build something that wows :)

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ordered 30 feet of the nichrome 80 today in 30 gushed and 34 guage and to compare to kanthal in the simple wrap 10 feet of nichrome 80 in 22 gA. Wow! So much cheaper!!!! Paid a dollar per foot for 26 ga kanthal in store. Soon I will build something that wows :)

Nobody sells kanthal at a dollar a foot unless they are a fucking thief. 26g kanthal is 7 bucks for 100 feet. 22g Nichrome 80 is 13 bucks for 100 feet.

Demoniacal

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Amazon has been my friend for Kanthal, just got 100 feet of 20g and 100 feet of 22g for $12 shipped, just gotta dig through their wonky listings.

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I finally got around to building the vertabraid today. Wow! Nice coils. I did the same 3 loop 30 ga nichrome 6 wrap coils as scarecrow. Vape Production Is crazy good nice throat hit and quick heat nice very warm Vape. Quick ramp up time. It takes only a second to pull out a large amount of vapor. Here is a pic of mine. The braid isn't quite as tight as I used duck tape too and had a time with it trying to slip. Trial and error. Beast mode coils ill say. Finally retired my parralel 26 ga kanthal coils.1430105105586-698455918.jpg

Jai Haze

Haters Make Me Famous
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Unlisted Vendor
Not a bad build at all, so you did the loops over or in?

lcgixxer87

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just like in the video. One loop on each pointer finger keep one middle finger free. Use the free finger to grab from the pointer on the opposite hand then transfer it up to the pointer and repeat. Kinda fun

VU Sponsors