Become a Patron!

Virgin Vaper...HELP!

Hi,
As my title suggests, I'm new to vaping.
I started off with an Eleaf IStick basic which definitely wasn't working for me. I've just bought a TC Pico which goes up to 75 watts. I love it but have a few questions to make sure I get it right.

It came with a .3 and a .5 coil. The nic juice we have is more vg than pg.
I'm after a throat hit rather than clouds. I started off using the .3 coil that was already in my Pico and had it at 40 watts which was great. For some reason hubby suggested we put the .5 coil in instead.
I'm going through a lot of juice. I know this melo III I have is only 2ml but I seem to be going through that in about an hour or two.
We obviously need to get me some higher pg juice but is there something else I should be doing?

I ordered some .6 ceramic coils based on what someone else suggested but looking back I think they wanted something different to me out of vaping.

I really feel like I need to put the watts up more and put the .3 coil back in. I've researched all over the web but the various opinions are doing my head in.

I don't think I was going through as much juice using the .3 coil but I could be wrong.

So can I increase the watts if I put the .3 coil back in? Is it the pg/vg ratio, the coil or the watts that's chewing through the juice, or a combination of all three?
What is the best set up for my Pico to get the throat hit I need?

Thanks everyone

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I ordered some .6 ceramic coils based on what someone else suggested but looking back I think they wanted something different to me out of vaping.
I really feel like I need to put the watts up more and put the .3 coil back in. I've researched all over the web but the various opinions are doing my head in.
I don't think I was going through as much juice using the .3 coil but I could be wrong.
So can I increase the watts if I put the .3 coil back in? Is it the pg/vg ratio, the coil or the watts that's chewing through the juice, or a combination of all three?

Why do you feel you really need to put the .3 ohm coil back in? Nothing wrong with doing so, unless your don't like it.

If it gives you the flavor and satisfying vape you are after, that is terrific.

If you are trying to conserve on juice, the lower the ohms and higher the wattage, the more juice you will go through. Higher ohms, less wattage = less juice vaporized.

The more PG in your juice, the more throat hit and flavor delivery. The more VG the more clouds.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Using any sub-ohm coil at high wattage like 40w is going to use a lot of ejuice. To use less juice, you need lower wattage (10-20w) and higher resistance (1 to 2 ohms) -- a cooler vape, so you need less airflow, a tighter draw. The combination of factors -- lower watts, higher ohms, tighter draw -- is what will economize ejuice usage; it simply won't vaporize as much liquid. Changing to higher PG won't have any effect on how much juice you use, but it will definitely give you more TH and less clouds, which you said is what you want. I don't think you mentioned what nicotine mg level you're using, but if you start producing and inhaling less vapor, you might want to increase your nic level a little.

I think you'll find that using more PG and more nicotine will greatly increase TH, but if you find you still want more, there's an additive from FlavourArt called Flash, which works very well to accentuate TH; I've used it almost since I first started, as I've never been able to vape a high mg level or deal with a lot of vapor. It's not expensive; I get it at ecigexpress.com.

Andria

Why do you feel you really need to put the .3 ohm coil back in? Nothing wrong with doing so, unless your don't like it.

If it gives you the flavor and satisfying vape you are after, that is terrific.

If you are trying to conserve on juice, the lower the ohms and higher the wattage, the more juice you will go through. Higher ohms, less wattage = less juice vaporized.

The more PG in your juice, the more throat hit and flavor delivery. The more VG the more clouds.

Thank you I'm only concerned about conserving juice until our nic arrives from overseas. We can't buy it in Australia We definitely need to get some straight PG perhaps to mix with the nic juice as it's more VG because hubby wants clouds over throat hit.

Using any sub-ohm coil at high wattage like 40w is going to use a lot of ejuice. To use less juice, you need lower wattage (10-20w) and higher resistance (1 to 2 ohms) -- a cooler vape, so you need less airflow, a tighter draw. The combination of factors -- lower watts, higher ohms, tighter draw -- is what will economize ejuice usage; it simply won't vaporize as much liquid. Changing to higher PG won't have any effect on how much juice you use, but it will definitely give you more TH and less clouds, which you said is what you want. I don't think you mentioned what nicotine mg level you're using, but if you start producing and inhaling less vapor, you might want to increase your nic level a little.

I think you'll find that using more PG and more nicotine will greatly increase TH, but if you find you still want more, there's an additive from FlavourArt called Flash, which works very well to accentuate TH; I've used it almost since I first started, as I've never been able to vape a high mg level or deal with a lot of vapor. It's not expensive; I get it at ecigexpress.com.

Andria

Thanks so much :) I guess I need to feel like I'm smoking a ciggie. It's been 3 weeks yesterday since hubby & I quit but we definitely want different things from vaping.
Will definitely be investing in some higher PG.

Thanks again. I truly appreciate it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks so much :) I guess I need to feel like I'm smoking a ciggie. It's been 3 weeks yesterday since hubby & I quit but we definitely want different things from vaping.

Well best of luck in vaping!

If you can get the needed ingredients imported (mainly the nicotine base), you may want to look at DIY, that way you and the Mr. can both enjoy a custom made vape tailored to your individual vaping needs :)

Once you have the nic base (I'm assuming you can get PG and VG at the druggist or grocery stores) and get flavorings it is likely to also be much less expensive also.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You also may want to post a thread in the new members section and try to hook up with others on VU who are in Australia - there are quite a few actually.

They may be able to help you hook up with import-friendly vape resources and places to get other resources domestically or cheaper.

I know at least one Australian who orders stuff from FastTech in China

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Same for me; I've vaped for 2 1/2 yrs, smoke-free for just over two, and I STILL want a tight-draw, good TH, and not so much vapor -- what I exhale may be roughly the same as what i exhaled when I smoked, or perhaps a bit less -- certainly it dies away faster than smoke! :) About the only differences are that I take much longer, slower hits than when I smoked -- to get max nic exposure to my mouth and throat, where it's best absorbed as vapor; hits aren't as deep in my lungs -- for the same reason; and it certainly tastes and smells a lot better than smoke -- I vape strawberry & cream prtty much all the time, and when I've been vaping in the truck, get out, then come back pretty quickly, I swear it smells like a bakery in there, not an ashtray. :) I like it... and my non-smoker non-vaper husband LOVES it.

Andria

Ablonz

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Josie72 Hello and welcome to the forums!!! If you do go the DIY route, I would suggest the 75% or 100% PG as it would be easier to make both higher PG as well as Higher VG. Keep in mind though, you will not be able to mix anything higher than around 30 PG 70 VG with the higher PG nic solution. I make both as I like both ends of the spectrum. I use 24 mg 70pg/30vg in my high ohm tanks and 6 mg 30pg/70vg for my sub ohm tanks. You wont be able to make the higher PG if you have mainly VG nic solution. Unless you use a higher concentration of Nic around 100mg. I mix my nic down to 36 mg to use to make the 2 different types. Hope this helps.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hi,
As my title suggests, I'm new to vaping.
I started off with an Eleaf IStick basic which definitely wasn't working for me. I've just bought a TC Pico which goes up to 75 watts. I love it but have a few questions to make sure I get it right.

It came with a .3 and a .5 coil. The nic juice we have is more vg than pg.
I'm after a throat hit rather than clouds. I started off using the .3 coil that was already in my Pico and had it at 40 watts which was great. For some reason hubby suggested we put the .5 coil in instead.
I'm going through a lot of juice. I know this melo III I have is only 2ml but I seem to be going through that in about an hour or two.
We obviously need to get me some higher pg juice but is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks everyone
Hi Josie- yes sub Ω vaping and higher watts will drink the juice up quickly, I also think that the .3 coil would use more than the .5 Ω, but both will go thru the liquid pretty quick. I used to go through less than 10mls of juice a week when I used my Joyetech eCab which uses a 2.2Ω coil and I used a mostly pg and 18 nic eliquid too.
I have the eLeaf Basic and use that with the eLeaf GSAir 1.2 Ω coil, and that sure doesn't burn through the liquid very quickly and a lot smoother taste than the installed .75 Ω . Maybe you could switch back and forth between the Basic and the Pico, the Basic will give you a tighter draw than the Melo3 tank- higher ohm coils help too. Maybe try a smaller tighter drip tip on the Melo Tank- those wide tips aren't the best for mouth to lung cig feel. Also higher ohm coils 1.0, 1.2 might help to save on your juice. Try to get 50pg/50vg liquid for TH, you could go higher in nic like 12mg in the Basic and the Melo with 1.0 and above Ω Aspire Atlantis or Aspire Triton coils and will help save on the amount of juice used- and strong flavors like peppermint and cinnamon help.
Good luck to you and your hubby- quitting smoking is not easy! Just don't get frustrated and give up! You will find what works best for you by experimenting with different liquids, drip tips, tanks and coils and coming to forums like this helps too!

https://www.vapeshop.com/eleaf-melo/
I put up this link to show you that you can get above Ω Atlantis or Triton coils for you Melo tank.

VU Sponsors