Become a Patron!

Voltage vs. Wattage - what's the difference?

Serious question. Not looking for the scientific explanation, just the difference in the hit from the user perspective. I just got my MVP 2.0, playing with the settings. I understand that turning up the watts or turning up the volts means a stronger hit, but is there any difference between a higher wattage hit and a higher voltage hit? Too high, both seem burnt, too low, both seem weaker. Not any different than my old eGo Twist's VV, from what I can tell, aside from the MVP puts out more in general. I seem to be missing the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Variable Wattage will automatically adjust the voltage up and down as you hit it to maintain the wattage you selected.

Variable Voltage will just apply the selected voltage while you hit it, which can let the wattage fluctuate slightly while you hit it.

Both do a similar task, and can feel the same to a lot of folks. There are some that will say variable voltage feels more smooth to them, and some that say variable wattage does. It all basically comes down to personal preference. Overall, there really isn't much difference between the two.

I am the type that would choose voltage controls over wattage. That's just because I am a mech user and mechs are voltage based devices, so voltage controls just feel more familiar to me.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As Syythe implied... the users perspective or experience is sort of subjective and varies by user and what each one prefers will differ as to how they want to control their vape. If you want more of a handle on it, you have to get into the weeds to better understand.

To get a little bit of a handle on how the electronic values affect a vape also differ on all of the materials used... ie the e-liquid itself will have different boiling ( and burning ) points, the gauge of the wire and type of wicking material also play roles all in addition to the electrical values.

In the end... the power ( ie wattage ) is the amount of work done per second. In otherwords, the amount of heat per second that is produced. At some point, the amount of heat produced will start to boil the e-liquid and then start tasting burnt.

The e-liquid's boiling ( and burning ) point varies depending on what is in the e-liquid. For instance, with water alone the boiling point ( at sea level ) is about 212° F or 100° C. If you add salt to the water, you increase it's boiling point and other chemicals can decrease it. The same will apply to e-liquids depending on what mixtures of PG/VG or flavorings and any other additives... these will increase or decrease the boiling points which will end up determining when a juice tastes burned.

The type and gauge of wire also comes into play. A thinner wire will heat up faster than a thick one. The materials used ( like stainless steel etc ) that is used also help determine how quickly it heats since each type will have different resistances ( ohms ).

The wicking material that delivers the e-liquid matters as well. The faster a material wicks will determine how quickly that e-liquid can cool down the wire. Of course the type of material in some cases will also impart a flavor, but let's leave that subject alone for now. The important part here is how quickly the wire gets cooled down will help keep the e-juice from boiling as quickly and tasting burnt as quickly.

Increasing voltage, amperage or the resistance ( ohms ) will all increase the wattage so will have similar effects for the user. So how you increase it and how it feels to the user will all have a similar effect for that user in the end.

Just to add some ( just a little ) actual science into it... Voltage is the amount of pressure in an electric circuit. Much like pressure in a balloon or a water pipe. Amperage is the current... ie the amount of flow of current you have. The wattage ( as stated before ) the amount of heat or work that is done by the voltage and current. So when you increase the pressure ( voltage ) and/or the current ( amperage ) you will also increase the amount of work done ( wattage ). This is where the equation below comes from...

Voltage x amperage = wattage

VU Sponsors