Become a Patron!

Wash them coils young man!

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
I experimented that I can rinse coils, dry, and reuse them (partially used, not burnt coils). Has anyone every tried cleaning them? I was thinking like an ultra-sonic thing. Like they have for small items like jewelry, toothbrushes, razors, etc. I feel like the coils can have their carbon loosened this way. But what about the cotton? I wonder if it can be safely cleaned?

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I experimented that I can rinse coils, dry, and reuse them (partially used, not burnt coils). Has anyone every tried cleaning them? I was thinking like an ultra-sonic thing. Like they have for small items like jewelry, toothbrushes, razors, etc. I feel like the coils can have their carbon loosened this way. But what about the cotton? I wonder if it can be safely cleaned?
I just clean mine with running water, I have an ultra sonic for guns but never thought of using it to clean coils the solution you put in it for cleaning would cost way more than just building new ones, as cotton goes there is no way to clean that and I know I wouldn't want to use used clean cotton it would just give me the yucks, it's cheaper and easier just to change cotton. I clean my coils and change the cotton every 2-3 days running a .4 at 32 watts right now with the airflow choked down quite a bit, and doing just like that I have had coils stay good for well over a year and a just changed it out of boredom

Thanks
mreeveshp

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I'm guessing your talking about non-rebuildable coils for a sub ohm tank.
Google it, there are several videos out there with different techniques.
When I first started vaping I tried them all and never had good luck. Once a sub ohm coil is burnt it's pretty much toast, it will always have that burnt taste in my opinion.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I'm guessing your talking about non-rebuildable coils for a sub ohm tank.
Google it, there are several videos out there with different techniques.
When I first started vaping I tried them all and never had good luck. Once a sub ohm coil is burnt it's pretty much toast, it will always have that burnt taste in my opinion.

Agree. And as the cotton gets older often the coil leaks on bottom air flow tanks.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
I just clean mine with running water, I have an ultra sonic for guns but never thought of using it to clean coils the solution you put in it for cleaning would cost way more than just building new ones, as cotton goes there is no way to clean that and I know I wouldn't want to use used clean cotton it would just give me the yucks, it's cheaper and easier just to change cotton. I clean my coils and change the cotton every 2-3 days running a .4 at 32 watts right now with the airflow choked down quite a bit, and doing just like that I have had coils stay good for well over a year and a just changed it out of boredom

Thanks
mreeveshp
Yeah, I'm gonna definitely do my own mtl builds. Lots of good options out there. I've always had that in my mind from the beginning when I was gaming out prices of coils. I burnt my first coil from my first device in 4 1/2 days, lol. And I was like, fk man! I thought this was gonna be cheap! :D

Being new I wasn't sure if I could rinse them when changing juice flavors. And for my pod device I have 4 pods in various states of me tasting things. I've also taken juice out with a syringe and put it back in a bottle. I'm sure I'm contaminating something...but....one thing I've realized is that most of my concerns turn out to me thinking too much.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I experimented that I can rinse coils, dry, and reuse them (partially used, not burnt coils). Has anyone every tried cleaning them? I was thinking like an ultra-sonic thing.
Yep, some do use ultra sound. Generally though, rinse, low glow & replacing cotton/wick is the route.
I've also taken juice out with a syringe and put it back in a bottle.
*chuckles* You're not the only one. Been there, done that.
one thing I've realized is that most of my concerns turn out to me thinking too much.
"And I think I think too much / And I'm thinkin' / While I'm thinkin'"

Nope, not one clue of what you speak. :)

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I have never had any luck with washing non rebuildable coils- I tried early on when I started vaping after reading that it could be done. I would just build up a large stash of factory coils instead for my favorite sub tanks. I do have RBAs (rebuidable coil section ) that fit my sub tanks, so I can still use the tank even if I can't buy the factory coils anymore. In fact I wouldn't buy a sub tank that didn't come with an RBA or one I could buy for that tank.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In fact I wouldn't buy a sub tank that didn't come with an RBA or one I could buy for that tank.

A lot of buried wisdom in that. One can find most vapers will strive to have "open systems" of vaping. They'll get refillable pods, rebuild-able coil options.

Getting confined to a brand, or way of vaping is not worth any perceived value. The main "drivers" in vaping are products that are durable & preform/function well, as far as "gear". Have said it before, a sardine tin and thimble could be used.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
A lot of buried wisdom in that. One can find most vapers will strive to have "open systems" of vaping. They'll get refillable pods, rebuild-able coil options.

Getting confined to a brand, or way of vaping is not worth any perceived value. The main "drivers" in vaping are products that are durable & preform/function well, as far as "gear". Have said it before, a sardine tin and thimble could be used.
I learned the hard way with my favorite Asvape Cobra sub tanks- I can't buy coils for those anymore, there is no RBA either and once I run out of coils for them, those 4 tanks will end up in the garbage.
That tank made me realize that I needed to buy and use RTAs, RDAs and RBAs and how important rebuildable tanks are to keep vaping in the future. So I guess it was a blessing in disguise.
My favorite pod mods uses a removable 18650 battery and I have RBAs and 2 of them actually has a RDTA that I bought for them. The pods are not thrown away- you replace the coil or RBA.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I learned the hard way with my favorite Asvape Cobra sub tanks- I can't buy coils for those anymore, there is no RBA either and once I run out of coils for them, those 4 tanks will end up in the garbage.
That tank made me realize that I needed to buy and use RTAs, RDAs and RBAs and how important rebuildable tanks are to keep vaping in the future. So I guess it was a blessing in disguise.
My favorite pod mods uses a removable 18650 battery and I have RBAs and 2 of them actually has a RDTA that I bought for them. The pods are not thrown away- you replace the coil or RBA.

Yep, yep. :) Using stuff you can swap out a battery in, rebuild seems the "way to go". Never comprehended the idea of "throw away" stuff.

That noted, I do at times carry a "throw away" pocket knife. Life has taught me to do that. The knives you want to keep, you keep and don't use so often. Got a pocket knife from her grand father. I don't want it lost. That knife means a lot to me.

It isn't that I'm "attached". Hell, things are meant to be used. People are loved. In this case a thing reminds me of a person, a way of life. You don't "let that go". So, I use "throw away" pocket knives instead. Lots of folks do that, too.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I learned the hard way with my favorite Asvape Cobra sub tanks- I can't buy coils for those anymore.
I ran across this the other day and immediately thought of you. :)

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I ran across this the other day and immediately thought of you. :)

Thank You for thinking of me- I will have to order some packs if Element Vapes still ships to NY.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had a little sucess extending the life of a coil by cleaning in Everclear before they get too gross. I had 2 new coils that I changed back and forth between cleaning and fully air drying them. So I would switch every 3 or so days. I got 6 weeks out of the pair in a Prince tank.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pretty sure its @Just Frank that rebuilds certain/some sub ohm coils.
Yeah I've done it to a lot of factory coils. The V-RBA for the Uwell Rafale sparked my curiosity. I would never try washing them. At the very least, I'd clean the coil and totally replace the cotton. I've set up mesh coils for my old Crown 2/Rafale tanks. Those are older wire coil only tanks.

The Vapefly Sigfried RMC was a game changer. Since then, Wotofo has made a bunch of "SMRT" rebuildable mesh coils. They make it way easy to rebuild coils for popular styles. There's one for the PnP pod/tank coils, and another for Baby Beast styled coils. Vapefly did it first though. They make different styles of mesh for a variety of power ranges.

VU Sponsors