Become a Patron!

Water in lungs from vaping

Nanfoe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a friend who still uses analogs. I tried to get him to try vaping but he said he did and got water in his lungs. I'm assuming the nicotine has like a sticky waterproofing effect on the linings in your lungs or something. Does anyone know what causes that? Thanks.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pretty sure it isn't possible. I spend a lot of time in saunas and steam rooms on holiday and inhale far more moist, humid air that I ever could at one sitting while vaping...

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ever gone swimming for a day when you were a kid and come home unable to take a full breath without coughing?
That is from ounces
of water in your lungs.
it's unpleasant at best but your body naturally recovers within hours.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ever gone swimming for a day when you were a kid and come home unable to take a full breath without coughing?
That is from ounces
of water in your lungs.
it's unpleasant at best but your body naturally recovers within hours.
No, I havent experienced this. Worst that happend to me, was red eyes from looking for pennies at the bottom.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess if you're vaping a VG based liquid with distilled water in it you'd get water in your lungs from vaping but generally speaking vaping dehydrates me so wouldn't it dry out your lungs more than the moisture from the vapor it would leave in it? Maybe he had an allergic reaction to PG but I am confused by this. I had a coworker say the same thing to me...he tried vaping and it messed him all up...but he said this while hacking and choking on his analoge and that seemed to be ok with him so I don't know.

People confuse me :(

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I guess if you're vaping a VG based liquid with distilled water in it you'd get water in your lungs from vaping but generally speaking vaping dehydrates me so wouldn't it dry out your lungs more than the moisture from the vapor it would leave in it? Maybe he had an allergic reaction to PG but I am confused by this. I had a coworker say the same thing to me...he tried vaping and it messed him all up...but he said this while hacking and choking on his analoge and that seemed to be ok with him so I don't know.

Some people just don't want to quit smoking and will come up with every excuse in the book to keep from quitting.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

yes exactly it does mess you all up... for a few days or a week until your body has adjusted to a lack of toxins that it was hooked on :)

BumbaCLot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I rolled American spirit for a month before I made the transition. Made chain smoking harder, and got me off the Marlboro additives, whatever they may be. Then quit with a v2 24mg Congress "parliament" clone.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When someone gets liquid in his lungs it's from an allergic reaction, sickness or chronic condition, causing the lungs to secrete liquids, not from getting the liquids there externally (unless he's drowning). Do you have any idea how much liquids you get into you lungs just from breathing.
This reminds me of a scare tactic that was common in my country a while ago, so a lot of smokers here won't even try vaping because they are scared to drown in their own liquids:(

Last edited:

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I know of a woman who told me at a park she is vaping distiller water lol I was like what?
But yeah and I still see her I don't know how healthy that is but it's been a good 3 years a year before I started vaping and now this is the second summer
****this is her words I didn't see the liquid nor taste it****
I wondered if she pretended it was that because it was a field for kids to play softball.BUT k seen her again and told her I'm vaping nix juice she says she vapes water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
A lot of people start coughing up "Stuff" when they start vaping. Including me.

As I understand it, you body knows something is going on as no more actual smoke is comming in and your lungs are celebrating by trying to get rid of accumulated junk.

I have Zilch, Nada and nothing to support this. But back when I first started, that is what I was told and it made sence to me at the time.

And it passed in a day or three (cant remember) but it stopped around the same time I started to breath better and realized that my car smelled/reeked from all the smoking I had done.

swolber79

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

As I understand it, you body knows something is going on as no more actual smoke is comming in and your lungs are celebrating by trying to get rid of accumulated junk.

I have Zilch, Nada and nothing to support this. But back when I first started, that is what I was told and it made sence to me at the time.

And it passed in a day or three (cant remember) but it stopped around the same time I started to breath better and realized that my car smelled/reeked from all the smoking I had done.
Every time I get my car vacuumed that shit stinks. I'm going to have to get it detailed or junk it. Lol

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Every time I get my car vacuumed that shit stinks. I'm going to have to get it detailed or junk it. Lol

I feel your pain dude!

And yes, you are going to have to have your car detailed to get rid of the Stank.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The car still smells!
9af04c7749ed4dd103329436e7911f61.jpg

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

This is truth. I've quit a few times and each time after about a month I started hacking up all kinds of nasty crap. Brown and black stuff that scared the hell out of me. But yes, it's your body expelling the crap you've put in it over the years. Perfectly normal, and I look at it as a sign of progress.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I jump up & down! I can breathe! Lung Lugie! It's all better now. Smoking damn near killed me. Without help I had one hour left to live. Good motivation to stop smoking. Vaping is my way now. :) You don't want to suffocate to death. Lasts too long & hurts like Hell. You start to figure out, I'm fucked. It's over, Over & out.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's stories like that, that get me all warm and fuzzy inside. Thanks for sharing
I must be important, lived a long time so far. Something I will do in the future is why I am still Breathing. Don't know about you, but when God says anything I try to follow the idea.
You have had 18 beers Dude. Right, better take the car, It's a Volvo. :p

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I must be important, lived a long time so far. Something I will do in the future is why I am still Breathing. Don't know about you, but when God says anything I try to follow the idea.
You have had 18 beers Dude. Right, better take the car, It's a Volvo. :p

I feel yah...thanks to the clots and the scar tissue they left in my lungs last year my breathing feels again like I never stopped smoking...even when I work out on a regular basis it only gets so good and I don't know how long or if it will ever go away...smoking would literally kill me if I started again as well...vaping has literally saved my life and I hope it does the same for every other vapor (just not in such a blunt and painful way as it was for me :) )

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a trip to wake up in the middle of the night because you can't breathe. Your body says, You are dying, A sexy voice says you have 2 minutes to change this. 1:59, Everyone should have a bottle of Oxygen in their home. Besides the benefits vaping gives me in not smoking, I just love to build. It is an art to it's own. I am as good as I want to be. Coils and the rest.

Last edited:

FlavoVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Been vaping since 12-2014 and have been off smokes since 1-1-2015. I went sub ohm shortly after I started vaping. I haven't looked back ....my neighbor told me chain vaping can cause bronchitis but knock on wood I haven't had any problems. I think vaping is much safer than smoking and I honestly don't miss the cigs.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't had so much as a cold since I started vaping, let alone the walking pneumonia I used to get a couple of times a year. I consider myself a walking, BREATHING testimonial to the fact that vaping is better for one's health. They can cram their studies and doubt's up their collective arses, I know what I know.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't had so much as a cold since I started vaping, let alone the walking pneumonia I used to get a couple of times a year. I consider myself a walking, BREATHING testimonial to the fact that vaping is better for one's health. They can cram their studies and doubt's up their collective arses, I know what I know.
My Dr. said, good for You showing up. Oh one more hour later, you would be dead of suffocation. I'm thinkn' No shit. I would rather be hit by a train.

FlavoVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Glad your here. Your neighbor needs to check their data. (My politest way of saying their full of shit). I have heard of "Ghost Symptoms" But there ya" go. :rolleyes:

haha...well I took the comment with a grain of salt. He is a nice guy and is always joking around.

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm a Registered Nurse and I've had people tell me the same thing (that vaping causes 'water in the lungs'). If I can, I politely explain that VG is a humectant and, in effect, 'draws' water from your lungs. That's why high VG liquids make 'bigger clouds'. The vapor we see is mainly water molecules (from your lungs) that have bonded to the tiny little VG molecules. The combined VG/water molecule is big enough for us to see as vapor.

This is why vaping dehydrates us - it draws (more) water from our lungs. (Normal breathing also releases water from our lungs into the air but not as much.) It's nothing to worry about, your body naturally supplies the lungs with as much moisture as they need to function properly. Just make sure to drink enough not to become actually dehydrated.

Coughing is a different matter. Our throats/bronchial passages are lined with cilia, tiny hair-like structures that catch and sweep contaminants up toward the mouth/nose so that we 1) swallow, 2) cough or 3) sneeze them out. Smoking can paralyze those cilia.

Many smokers have a 'smoker's cough' which simply means that their cilia are still trying to do their job. As these people start vaping, their cough will usually ease off. (I had a smoker's cough, it ended after exactly one week.) Some smokers do not have a cough because their cilia are too damaged. When they switch to vaping, their cilia start recovering and doing their job, so they might then *develop* a cough. Give it time, this will ease off after a few weeks.

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
Been vaping since 12-2014 and have been off smokes since 1-1-2015. I went sub ohm shortly after I started vaping. I haven't looked back ....my neighbor told me chain vaping can cause bronchitis but knock on wood I haven't had any problems. I think vaping is much safer than smoking and I honestly don't miss the cigs.

I cured my idiot roommate's 6 month bronchitis episode with a few tanks of 100% PG. I always had at least one bout of that + chest cold per year + tonsillitis .... 12 months smoke free after 25y and not one infection yet *knock on wood*

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a Registered Nurse and I've had people tell me the same thing (that vaping causes 'water in the lungs'). If I can, I politely explain that VG is a humectant and, in effect, 'draws' water from your lungs. That's why high VG liquids make 'bigger clouds'. The vapor we see is mainly water molecules (from your lungs) that have bonded to the tiny little VG molecules. The combined VG/water molecule is big enough for us to see as vapor.

This is why vaping dehydrates us - it draws (more) water from our lungs. (Normal breathing also releases water from our lungs into the air but not as much.) It's nothing to worry about, your body naturally supplies the lungs with as much moisture as they need to function properly. Just make sure to drink enough not to become actually dehydrated.

Coughing is a different matter. Our throats/bronchial passages are lined with cilia, tiny hair-like structures that catch and sweep contaminants up toward the mouth/nose so that we 1) swallow, 2) cough or 3) sneeze them out. Smoking can paralyze those cilia.

Many smokers have a 'smoker's cough' which simply means that their cilia are still trying to do their job. As these people start vaping, their cough will usually ease off. (I had a smoker's cough, it ended after exactly one week.) Some smokers do not have a cough because their cilia are too damaged. When they switch to vaping, their cilia start recovering and doing their job, so they might then *develop* a cough. Give it time, this will ease off after a few weeks.
Oh tell me your rich & single, and would like to adopt a Biker. The data would shut them up.

Last edited:

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used to have terrible asthmatic cough attacks in the past, and I think I've not had one for years, ever since I started vaping. Those coughs were terrible and I to go to the doctor for strong steroid pills and terrible tasting cough medicine. I still smoke once in a while, if my friend offers me a cigarette.

I used to get horrible bronchitis every december like clockwork, had a terrible smoker's cough, and a horrible sinus, double ear, throat, almost into my lung infection with every changing season....now I've only been sick once....(other than the hospital thingie I mentioned, that doesn't count towards smoking type sicknesses I used to get.)

I got sick in december and waited to go to the doc till january when I finally felt an ear infection and he looked and me and said "why did you wait so long to come see me, you've got wall to wall infection from ear to ear and everything inbetween?"

I just smiled and said "I didn't feel sick like I used to get when I smoked, I could still breathe, I just was getting headaches and they're starting to annoy me " :D

My mother is a nurse and she saw me smoke for 8 years while in the Army. She saw me have the smoker's cough for 2 years and then saw it disappear after I came back from overseas where I was smoke 1-2 packs a day. That's when she became worried and I never understood why. Anyway first month I started vaping I had it smoker's cough again and she was thrilled. You can imagine how confused I was until she explained it to me. She was right when she told me vaping saved my lungs.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dear Saddletramp1200 - I'm very sorry if my remark came across as offensive. I did not mean it as such.
That's a part of my life that I will almost never forget. I almost conned a Nurse into hanging out with a Biker. She got me pregnant, & made me an Honest Biker. She left 4/5/2005. She kept me Enchanted for 8 happy years. I've been there, that's why I'm here. Country song in that somewhere.

Last edited:

spookiewon

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh tell me your rich & single, and would like to adopt a Biker. The data would shut them up.

I'm also a nurse, and just to point out, PG is also an humectant. Quite frankly, I had to seriously increase my water intake when I started vaping. It's really dehydrating. I agree with the rest of your comments.

SouthernShine

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a friend who still uses analogs. I tried to get him to try vaping but he said he did and got water in his lungs. I'm assuming the nicotine has like a sticky waterproofing effect on the linings in your lungs or something. Does anyone know what causes that? Thanks.
To answer this in the simplest means, yes it can put water in your lungs. However, not in the way your thinking, it isnt going to "fill" your lungs. What is will do is keep your lungs moist, which can cause pneumonia.

ggvaper

Member For 4 Years

I have a friend who still uses analogs. I tried to get him to try vaping but he said he did and got water in hisIt makes me wheezeungs. I'm assuming the nicotine has like a sticky waterproofing effect on the linings in your lungs or something. Does anyone know what causes that? Thanks.
I can say first hand that this is true. Vaping can by the end of the day cause spells where it's hard to breathe. It like when u have a cough or congestion in your chest. It makes me wheeze for about 20 mins. This happens when I Vape more than usual....normally 2 tanks....however the episode passes after 20 mins and back to normal. Not sure if it's harmful but it sucks when it happens.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can say first hand that this is true. Vaping can by the end of the day cause spells where it's hard to breathe. It like when u have a cough or congestion in your chest. It makes me wheeze for about 20 mins. This happens when I Vape more than usual....normally 2 tanks....however the episode passes after 20 mins and back to normal. Not sure if it's harmful but it sucks when it happens.
Well, it's not water. I experience a heavy congested feeling in my chest when I vape high VG juice. My typical vape is 70pg or even 80. Some people are just the opposite.

Ello110

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a pg allergy. So it is always max VG for me.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk
I don't feel too good with anything at or over 50% PG and I think I might have a sensitivity.
Never had a cough or rough breathing episode and I cloud chase. Most of my liquids are 70-80% PG.

VU Sponsors