Become a Patron!

We could use a little help

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this. If it isn't I am sure someone will let me know.
I work at what's called Theraputic Community. It is a year long residential drug treatment program. The majority of the clients have no place else to go. It is very strict. One of the rules is a limited number of smoke breakers during the day. The last one is at 8pm. I spoke to the Doctor who treats all of the clients and he agrees with me that restricting their smoking could be a trigger too their other addictions. I have seen people get thrown out for smoking in the house.I have been buying any of them who will vape, vaping gear. Whether it be disposables, or pods or whatever I was able to get at affordable price. If anyone is willing to help with a discount or a donation of any kind p!ease let me know

Thank you

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this. If it isn't I am sure someone will let me know.
I work at what's called Theraputic Community. It is a year long residential drug treatment program. The majority of the clients have no place else to go. It is very strict. One of the rules is a limited number of smoke breakers during the day. The last one is at 8pm. I spoke to the Doctor who treats all of the clients and he agrees with me that restricting their smoking could be a trigger too their other addictions. I have seen people get thrown out for smoking in the house.I have been buying any of them who will vape, vaping gear. Whether it be disposables, or pods or whatever I was able to get at affordable price. If anyone is willing to help with a discount or a donation of any kind p!ease let me know

Thank you

Perhaps you could provide more information on this "community" before anyone sends you anything. Several of us have been conned / scammed, and therefore may be quite leary of newbies coming in and asking for big favors such as this.

I hope you understand. Be prepared to prove where this will go, and ensure them of the end users.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@cmccarthy7128 isn't a noob. He's been around off and on for a good while, and has always presented himself as working with a residential drug treatment program and trying to promote vaping instead of smoking within that environment. While I've not spoken with him directly and don't know him IRL, I do know that his presentation here has been consistent and he seems to have his heart in the right place for helping the clients in the treatment program.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@cmccarthy7128 isn't a noob. He's been around off and on for a good while, and has always presented himself as working with a residential drug treatment program and trying to promote vaping instead of smoking within that environment. While I've not spoken with him directly and don't know him IRL, I do know that his presentation here has been consistent and he seems to have his heart in the right place for helping the clients in the treatment program.
Thank you for clearing that up. My post was at the end of a long day of stopping what I was doing to go to the phone just to see another robocaller pestering me. Scamers and thieves are a dime a dozen, and I don't want anyone else here getting conned.

If the OP had called it a rehabilitation center instead of community, it would have made more sense, but I digress.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Thank you

How thoughtful you are. I have known recovering alcoholics who told me they are advised, in AA meetings, not to try to stop smoking until they are well into their alcohol recovery, because cigarettes are by far the stronger addiction, so I have no trouble thinking that if someone is recovering from drug abuse, you don't want to mess with their nic and make them totally, abjectly miserable.

Please PM me with the mailing address of the center. I'll figure out something to send. It won't be as generous as it could have been in 2019 before the Coofid sneaked up to smash my business, but I would like to support your intention.

I'm sure you understand, the rabbit hole is deep. If you're providing this to the community, the supply needs to be continuous, the equipment, the liquids, etc. I really don't think it's any more expensive than cigarettes anymore, but cigarettes are less complicated, except maybe as compared to disposable vapes.

Smoking or vaping, is there no secure area where the patients can go at any hour?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
How thoughtful you are. I have known recovering alcoholics who told me they are advised, in AA meetings, not to try to stop smoking until they are well into their alcohol recovery, because cigarettes are by far the stronger addiction, so I have no trouble thinking that if someone is recovering from drug abuse, you don't want to mess with their nic and make them totally, abjectly miserable.

Please PM me with the mailing address of the center. I'll figure out something to send. It won't be as generous as it could have been in 2019 before the Coofid sneaked up to smash my business, but I would like to support your intention.

I'm sure you understand, the rabbit hole is deep. If you're providing this to the community, the supply needs to be continuous, the equipment, the liquids, etc. I really don't think it's any more expensive than cigarettes anymore, but cigarettes are less complicated, except maybe as compared to disposable vapes.

Smoking or vaping, is there no secure area where the patients can go at any hour?

Your statements agree with what I've heard also. Often I think when a person drops one of the more destructive addictions, they replace it with a less destructive addiction (like smoking/eating/shopping/cleaning) - there needs to be something that will fill the void that the addiction addressed in its beginning. In my mind, it is only compassionate to not make the process any harder than it has to be.

I will contribute as well, eventually, but for now I have too much going on within my family, and everything I can get my hands on is directed toward keeping the current wolves at bay.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your statements agree with what I've heard also. Often I think when a person drops one of the more destructive addictions, they replace it with a less destructive addiction (like smoking/eating/shopping/cleaning) - there needs to be something that will fill the void that the addiction addressed in its beginning. In my mind, it is only compassionate to not make the process any harder than it has to be.

I will contribute as well, eventually, but for now I have too much going on within my family, and everything I can get my hands on is directed toward keeping the current wolves at bay.
I find that usually the people I've known who were alcoholics or drug addicts, were already cigarette smokers when they succumbed. It brings back that old argument that cigarettes are a gateway drug. I've never agreed with that. IMO it's a personality trait and a psychological issue, risk taking, not a substance question at all. I only really know that when I'm trying to lose weight, nobody had better mess with my nic. It keeps me sane, and so I imagine it is the last comfort, the buoy to hang onto in the storm, when you are trying to recover from alcoholism or drug addiction, or anything that is rapidly destroying your life. That's the difference. Cigarettes will destroy your life but take longer to do it. Alcohol and/or drugs will cause you to wake up in a gutter right away. The damage is easier to see. So you may want to clean up your life, but quitting cigarettes has to be the longer goal, so you can make it to the short term goal, which is to stop waking up in a gutter.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It brings back that old argument that cigarettes are a gateway drug. I've never agreed with that. IMO it's a personality trait and a psychological issue, risk taking, not a substance question at all.

Got to agree. I smoked cigarettes prior to *ahem* an attempt with some really nasty stuff you use in a bath tub. Someone who cared returned home to use the bathroom and found me, fortunately.

They give me a less risky substance to use "coming down". Spent about nine months coming down and using the less risky substance. Became a total head in the vernacular.

My attempt was from psychological stuff. Sure garden variety depression is part of my normality. I had some other stuff though that was really major. Wanted to forget myself and let the world forget me too, I didn't deserve life, period.

Yes, I'm the beast unspoken of, unspoken for the fear I may appear and vanish as quick. At least I was at one point. Have since fought my way out of the abyss. Some days I still struggle but manage to "embrace the suck", "keep on going" out of respect for a brother who saw Light in me.

That brother used to visit the other vaping forum. He drew me over here & got me started on mechs, squonking. One day I got a call from a secure line. Had no clue but figured if it was that kind of call I ought to answer. It was him, we spoke briefly as he was working. Those few minutes though, I tell you, change a life? Doesn't even cover it.

Excuse me.

My point before the mist gets too thick, ... You're correct for the most part. The substances are like knives. Some call knives tools and treat, use them as such. Others say knives are deadly weapons only good for killing. Which is right or wrong? I'm at a basket ball game, "jump ball!" "Which ever wolf you feed the most," eh?

Yes most often a person has a choice, could almost say there is always choice. Will not say it absolute though. Lets say 98.98 percent of the time. Because unfortunately, yes there's times challenge is unavoidable & engaging is the only thing to do.

Cigarettes kept on after I dropped the other less risky substance use. Had smoked them before though, it was kind its own addiction. Now, I'm a vaping addict who is nicotine dependent. I will not harm, keal, steal though to support vaping or nicotine use. To me that makes an addict, someone unable to choose.

You have to teach people to defend themselves. Part of that is teaching them choice, even if it hurts getting over the hurdle at first. So yes, let them keep a "security blanket" while they "come down". It helps them find a way to choose.

Now I need to sit and remember, sit and be making ready.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got to agree. I smoked cigarettes prior to *ahem* an attempt with some really nasty stuff you use in a bath tub. Someone who cared returned home to use the bathroom and found me, fortunately.

They give me a less risky substance to use "coming down". Spent about nine months coming down and using the less risky substance. Became a total head in the vernacular.

My attempt was from psychological stuff. Sure garden variety depression is part of my normality. I had some other stuff though that was really major. Wanted to forget myself and let the world forget me too, I didn't deserve life, period.

Yes, I'm the beast unspoken of, unspoken for the fear I may appear and vanish as quick. At least I was at one point. Have since fought my way out of the abyss. Some days I still struggle but manage to "embrace the suck", "keep on going" out of respect for a brother who saw Light in me.

That brother used to visit the other vaping forum. He drew me over here & got me started on mechs, squonking. One day I got a call from a secure line. Had no clue but figured if it was that kind of call I ought to answer. It was him, we spoke briefly as he was working. Those few minutes though, I tell you, change a life? Doesn't even cover it.

Excuse me.

My point before the mist gets too thick, ... You're correct for the most part. The substances are like knives. Some call knives tools and treat, use them as such. Others say knives are deadly weapons only good for killing. Which is right or wrong? I'm at a basket ball game, "jump ball!" "Which ever wolf you feed the most," eh?

Yes most often a person has a choice, could almost say there is always choice. Will not say it absolute though. Lets say 98.98 percent of the time. Because unfortunately, yes there's times challenge is unavoidable & engaging is the only thing to do.

Cigarettes kept on after I dropped the other less risky substance use. Had smoked them before though, it was kind its own addiction. Now, I'm a vaping addict who is nicotine dependent. I will not harm, keal, steal though to support vaping or nicotine use. To me that makes an addict, someone unable to choose.

You have to teach people to defend themselves. Part of that is teaching them choice, even if it hurts getting over the hurdle at first. So yes, let them keep a "security blanket" while they "come down". It helps them find a way to choose.

Now I need to sit and remember, sit and be making ready.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

and

Sure garden variety depression is part of my normality.
Me too, the garden variety depression. I think that's the human condition for many people. I never was tempted to try *******, which at one time was all around me when among friends. I knew I would easily become addicted, and I couldn't afford it.

I did smoke the wild natural thing that is mother nature's gift to mankind. I felt it brought me up to normal most days, until one day I didn't feel it anymore. I just figured whatever I needed it to do for me, it was done. I never picked it up again, gave away some supply I had, no regrets.

I've said before, I think I was born wanting a cigarette because my parents smoked, including my mom smoked while I was on the way, so, born around 8am, I wanted coffee and a cigarette :) I will always thank and bless my friends who clued me into vaping when they were already a whole year completely off cigarettes.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Well I'm still here. *chuckles*

Done enough dumb things one might think I should be dead a few times over.

Did die once when eleven months old. Had a fever from pneumonia. It was well over 107+F. The doctors were confounded. I did not convulse. I died and had been dead about 7 minutes, I was clinically dead. They were about to sign the certificate making it legal, I came back to life convulsing.

Am also something of a medical miracle. Mom was not ever supposed to bear children. I'm her first of three sons. I'm the son what scares his mom. Also the son she literally has abandoned quite a few times. *chuckles* That became something of a joke. "Mom raised me right, she brought me to life. Then said, 'Here's life son. See you.'"

Yeah, mainly my point was I was found, brought back from the edge. I'm still here, better or worse. "Jump ball!"

I'm the sort you tell "quit that you'll hurt yourself". I reply back, "too late." Also the kind that goes out and does, others then stand back and say it was impossible, or wonder how it got done. Well, used to be. Now, got a bit more wisdom and sense, I like to think.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well I'm still here. *chuckles*

Done enough dumb things one might think I should be dead a few times over.

Did die once when eleven months old. Had a fever from pneumonia. It was well over 107+F. The doctors were confounded. I did not convulse. I died and had been dead about 7 minutes, I was clinically dead. They were about to sign the certificate making it legal, I came back to life convulsing.

Am also something of a medical miracle. Mom was not ever supposed to bear children. I'm her first of three sons. I'm the son what scares his mom. Also the son she literally has abandoned quite a few times. *chuckles* That became something of a joke. "Mom raised me right, she brought me to life. Then said, 'Here's life son. See you.'"

Yeah, mainly my point was I was found, brought back from the edge. I'm still here, better or worse. "Jump ball!"

I'm the sort you tell "quit that you'll hurt yourself". I reply back, "too late." Also the kind that goes out and does, others then stand back and say it was impossible, or wonder how it got done. Well, used to be. Now, got a bit more wisdom and sense, I like to think.
I think your sense of humor disguises much pain you have dealt with.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Look at my censored word up there. I'll never understand the censorship of real words that aren't profanity or cussing or racist or sexist or mean, but it's better than the other forum, where you can't say aspirin without it getting blotted out like that. I could understand it, in a forum that is sensitive to trolls of the ANTZ and pharma and established medical varieties, and the hypochondriacs, if I'd been saying "I tried (fill in the blank) and it was crazy fabulous and I couldn't get enough of it", but I was talking about staying ten feet away from an addictive substance.

Well onward. It isn't that important, except that censorship is epidemic in the early 21st century, which is important.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Addiction can be a tricky thing. I used to get drunk a lot, yet never got addicted to alcohol. I used to smoked nature's wonder-weed, yet never got addicted. I stopped using that stuff when I opened my eyes, and realized everyone around me that was using it were trouble makers with no respect for anyone. However, I got addicted to nicotine and caffeine. At my age, I can deal with that.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think your sense of humor disguises much pain you have dealt with.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." --- "Here little darling, have a nice lolly and move on, nothing back here to see."

Well onward. It isn't that important, except that censorship is epidemic in the early 21st century, which is important.

Agree with you. Also realize though picking the appropriate battles for intellectual liberty, especially regarding speech is just as fucking important. We're allowed such a broad range of speech here it is only incumbent upon us, I think to show gratitude by respecting what we're asked to not openly discuss. Besides it engages the kidney more to skirt around the edges, any kidney activity helps avoid "old timer's". ;) :D Oh yeah, it also helps prove out drugs don't always effect brain function or intellect. My darn train goes too quick sometimes.:p

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also realize though picking the appropriate battles for intellectual liberty, especially regarding speech is just as fucking important.
Your reply is a case in point of why censorship without discernment is an irrelevant nuisance, still allowing a lot of obnoxious language while shutting down reasonable discussion. This discussion and my comment were not about drugs, as per the rules of the forum. This discussion was about addiction and recovery, and began with the stated mission of cmccarthy7128.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Your reply is a case in point of why censorship without discernment is an irrelevant nuisance, still allowing a lot of obnoxious language while shutting down reasonable discussion. This discussion and my comment were not about drugs, as per the rules of the forum. This discussion was about addiction and recovery, and began with the stated mission of cmccarthy7128.

There is discernment though. Simply ask @nadalama about editing out my mention of a drug by name. Also got warned about using a racial slur I didn't realize was one. Any conversation about addiction may wind up mentioning the objects of addiction. My colorful language or not, there's still discernment.

I don't see your argument holding merit. That isn't to say it's not valid. Nor am I debasing you or your point. Instead I'm seeing the moderators here do quite well discerning moderation. Also saying there are surely worse cases of censorship which could warrant rallying to battle.

VU Sponsors