Become a Patron!

What are the best swivels for coil building?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The mini version will break easily if you straighten your cores by simply pulling on them. The regular version is the most commonly used AFAIK, but it can still break if you pull on it much too hard... if you are the type of person who keeps breaking stuff, you should maybe consider straightening your cores the "normal" way by using the drill instead, or just learn to avoid using brute force altogether.
I always straighten the wire while still on the spool.
Take my 24 inch length out out five a little tug with pliers before I cut it off the spool. That's way its straightened when I cut it. Then I just double for my fused Claptons. But I use that method for straightening vs spinning. Same result though

Sent from a pile of wood chips

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I always straighten the wire while still on the spool.
Take my 24 inch length out out five a little tug with pliers before I cut it off the spool. That's way its straightened when I cut it. Then I just double for my fused Claptons. But I use that method for straightening vs spinning. Same result though

Yea, that's how I do it too, but I'm using cores that are often 3.5 ft. long when doing multiple sets of aliens at once. I never do fused claptons... with just two cores I find that the better coil type to go for is the regular-old SFC build, 28/36 Ni80 typically nearing 200 watts in an RDA with airflow focussed accurately on the coils.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea, that's how I do it too, but I'm using cores that are often 3.5 ft. long when doing multiple sets of aliens at once. I never do fused claptons... with just two cores I find that the better coil type to go for is the regular-old SFC build, 28/36 Ni80 typically nearing 200 watts in an RDA with airflow focussed accurately on the coils.
Ahh yea needing longer runs for decores is the only way to do aliens that I know of. I need to work back on those sometime. Feeling that I need a couple sets myself. Have to learn again I reckon. Hard to have long runs of prestretched with the dang cats around though. Lol

Hey Chef, great news. I'm able to get mustad swivels locally. Not the ones you use, but I'm able to get the ball bearing swivels with 2 welded rings, which is what I actually prefer.

They're way cheaper than I expected. Just around $1.30 a pack. So I'm thinking of getting a few sizes one time.

I can get size 1, 2, 5 and 6.

Which sizes should I go for?

I generally connect either 2 or 3 swivels, and not necessarily the same sizes.

Which 3 sizes would you recommend?

I'd definitely get the 6. I've used many sizes but I've settled on using 3 of the size 7 ball bearing swivels hooked together. IMO the bigger the better; tho when using smaller swivels i found that increasing the quantity helps, but at that point the issue of swivel weight is basically the same either way. Having said that, I’m actually purchasing a spin LT or more likely the magnetic slide rig (made by the same company) tonight as the swivels can be problematic for me on some level no matter the size or how many I use. I’ve made a few DIY magnetic spinning rigs of my own over the years (none of which were very sturdy, however) and I’ve decided that a magnetic spinning mechanism is best for me as there’s virtually no friction. But I tend to work with overly complicated builds with stacks of ribbon and multiple round cores, and their fragility is easily exploited by even the slightest amount of friction, especially when combined with my clumsiness.

Anyway, as you’ve probably noticed large sizes of quality ball bearing fishing swivels aren’t the cheapest thing in the world - a pack of 5 size 7 on Amazon can cost around $20 before shipping; whereas the Spin LT is $30 - I can't imagine shipping to your country would cost more than $10? I think the benefit of a quality tool like the spin LT might outweigh the added expense ...I think quality tools make all the difference in the world when it comes to construction of just about anything....

Sorry if this link has already been spammed in this thread, but just in case, the spin LT from USA Ohm Metres can be found here:

... And their magnetic slide rig looks amazing, but it ain't cheap:

I'm having a hard time deciding if the magnetic rig is worth it or if all I need is the spin LT...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'd definitely get the 6. I've used many sizes but I've settled on using 3 of the size 7 ball bearing swivels hooked together. IMO the bigger the better; tho when using smaller swivels i found that increasing the quantity helps, but at that point the issue of swivel weight is basically the same either way. Having said that, I’m actually purchasing a spin LT or more likely the magnetic slide rig (made by the same company) tonight as the swivels can be problematic for me on some level no matter the size or how many I use. I’ve made a few DIY magnetic spinning rigs of my own over the years (none of which were very sturdy, however) and I’ve decided that a magnetic spinning mechanism is best for me as there’s virtually no friction. But I tend to work with overly complicated builds with stacks of ribbon and multiple round cores, and their fragility is easily exploited by even the slightest amount of friction, especially when combined with my clumsiness.

Anyway, as you’ve probably noticed large sizes of quality ball bearing fishing swivels aren’t the cheapest thing in the world - a pack of 5 size 7 on Amazon can cost around $20 before shipping; whereas the Spin LT is $30 - I can't imagine shipping to your country would cost more than $10? I think the benefit of a quality tool like the spin LT might outweigh the added expense ...I think quality tools make all the difference in the world when it comes to construction of just about anything....

Sorry if this link has already been spammed in this thread, but just in case, the spin LT from USA Ohm Metres can be found here:

... And their magnetic slide rig looks amazing, but it ain't cheap:

I'm having a hard time deciding if the magnetic rig is worth it or if all I need is the spin LT...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personally, I, would get neither of both options you listed... I would just grab this one instead:

VU Sponsors