nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Lazy people are a pet peeve. I know it's not solely vape related, but it happens there too. Was trying to help a guy on reddit (maybe it was a gal idk), asking about a
gold mod to do a full gold setup. They said if it was in EU that would be awesome. I don't know what's eu, uk, lmnop over there. I assume UK is close, found a site selling a gold minikin 2. No links but spelled out the site name (they could look it up). I get this response back that too bad there aren't any available in europe (never specified a country).

I'll be the first to admit I've asked my share of questions. But not without some input and work on my end trying to figure stuff out. At least a basic google search ffs. Some people just can't be helped I guess. Like idk, did you google 'gold mod'? That's a start. Sheesh. And while I didn't go add it to my cart, it said it was in stock at the site name I gave them. Like I can't put it in the cart FOR you, shit. Make an effort.

I see a lot of that going on. "What tank fits this mod?". Me. Hey google - what maximum size atomizer fits xyz mod without overhang. Google - answer. Drives me up a wall. Waiting for people to start posting 'hey guys - am I thirsty? Should I get some water?' How the hell do I know, ARE you thirsty? Breathe in, breathe out. Wipe, then pull your drawers up. Fml.

We've got a couple of members here who are REALLY bad about doing that, like it never fucking occurred to them that the entire Internet is not just VU and nothing else. The part of that that gets me is the goddamn WHINING. Every damn one of those helpless fuckers is a whiner, too. Whining is one of those characteristics that turns me into the Incredible Hulk, and there's no telling what I might say. I can't stand it.

Most of the people here are super-self-motivated, though, thank god. There are a bunch of us here who wouldn't be caught dead asking a question before trying to research it ourselves. Sometimes if the research is conflicting, or there's a concept that's really hard to understand, or it's about SAFETY, then we ask questions.

The people who ask things like "what tank fits this mod" are people who know NOTHING about vaping, but they've heard all the hoo-hah about things being dangerous, and they're scared of blowing their faces off by putting a Fireluke tank on a GV Aegis. OH GOD NO, DON'T DO IT! ARE YOU INSANE? They need to find and read some Vaping For Dummies site before they buy shit or show up on here.

The only redeeming factor I can think of is that a lot of us here have been vaping a really long time and we have a lot of experience, and like anything else in life, when you're very experienced at something, you forget what it's like to be brand new - you don't even realize how much you know until you run across somebody who knows nothing. There are people at my work (and other people tell me I'm like this too) who know their jobs so well and have been at them so long, that it's hard for them to explain really basic stuff to a beginner. There's a lady in our Finance group that, when I first started working with her, I couldn't understand a single thing she tried to explain to me, because she'd start in the middle of "the story" and leave out the basic stuff that I didn't know. I'd have to tell her, look, you've gotta dumb this down for me, because I'm not an accountant, and I've got to know where point A is before I can work on point Q.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
[...] like anything else in life, when you're very experienced at something, you forget what it's like to be brand new - you don't even realize how much you know until you run across somebody who knows nothing.

SO TRUE.

There are people at my work (and other people tell me I'm like this too) who know their jobs so well and have been at them so long, that it's hard for them to explain really basic stuff to a beginner. [...]

Absolutely. When I first started vaping I found ECF first and read read read all day and night for weeks, b/c most of it was abbreviations and shorthand so I'd have to do more digging to figure out WTH they were saying (not that people shouldn't abbreviate, and they weren't explaining anything, just talking with each other about coil building, or wires, or whatever). Like anything else vaping is a ramp up.

Then there's the opposite problem. I have a friend I've known since high school who's a smoker and was curious about vaping b/c she wanted to quit smoking. Doesn't live nearby and we don;t regularly communicate, but I bought her a mod, tank, batteries, XTAR charger, nic, VG/PG, mixed DIY juice for her after asking what flavors she might like (she said DILL PICKLE!!!... but I actually found Dill Pickle flavoring at TPA!)... then made a few other juices for her in more conventional flavors. Also found out what she smoked to get the nic right.

Knowing she was coming from knowing nothing, I wrote a guide (which I happen to be good at organizing info and presenting it clearly, breaking it down without being too wordy)... it had an intro on how vaping works (heating vapor on a coil), and went all the way through how to add juice to the tank, change her coils, care for and charge the batteries, etc. I even included pictures that I took and embedded in the Word doc when a pic would be helpful.

Sent the box to her with the guide. She let it sit for months and I never heard back. Much later I heard from another friend that she thought it was too complicated. Which means she saw the guide and didn't even read it, b/c that guide could not have made it simpler. I wish *I* had a guide when I started to save me all the ramp up time! But she was thinking of vaping, like smoking. You just pick up the mod and vape. Well, there's more to it, once the juice runs out or the batteries die. Unless you wanna spend a fortune for the rest of your life using cigalikes (which I also covered in the guide, and why they aren't a good choice for long term vaping.)

My pet peeve: coils gunking. If only there was a wire that preventing gunking!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
SO TRUE.

Absolutely. When I first started vaping I found ECF first and read read read all day and night for weeks, b/c most of it was abbreviations and shorthand so I'd have to do more digging to figure out WTH they were saying (not that people shouldn't abbreviate, and they weren't explaining anything, just talking with each other about coil building, or wires, or whatever). Like anything else vaping is a ramp up.

Then there's the opposite problem. I have a friend I've known since high school who's a smoker and was curious about vaping b/c she wanted to quit smoking. Doesn't live nearby and we don;t regularly communicate, but I bought her a mod, tank, batteries, XTAR charger, nic, VG/PG, mixed DIY juice for her after asking what flavors she might like (she said DILL PICKLE!!!... but I actually found Dill Pickle flavoring at TPA!)... then made a few other juices for her in more conventional flavors. Also found out what she smoked to get the nic right.

Knowing she was coming from knowing nothing, I wrote a guide (which I happen to be good at organizing info and presenting it clearly, breaking it down without being too wordy)... it had an intro on how vaping works (heating vapor on a coil), and went all the way through how to add juice to the tank, change her coils, care for and charge the batteries, etc. I even included pictures that I took and embedded in the Word doc when a pic would be helpful.

Sent the box to her with the guide. She let it sit for months and I never heard back. Much later I heard from another friend that she thought it was too complicated. Which means she saw the guide and didn't even read it, b/c that guide could not have made it simpler. I wish *I* had a guide when I started to save me all the ramp up time! But she was thinking of vaping, like smoking. You just pick up the mod and vape. Well, there's more to it, once the juice runs out or the batteries die. Unless you wanna spend a fortune for the rest of your life using cigalikes (which I also covered in the guide, and why they aren't a good choice for long term vaping.)

Yeah, we had a DIY challenge here a year or two ago and it was basically "Make Something Vapable Out of Three of These Godawful Flavorings." SOMEONE (and I won't name names, @wildgypsy70) picked out Chili, Wasabi, and Pickle. Seems like there was one more but I can't remember what it was. So I've tasted a vape that had pickle in it. And I HATE pickles.

I learned that you have to get it down below 0.5% before it's tolerable, and even then you can still smell it. Oh, it was my own personal wretched hell, mixing that stuff up.

But I think SOMEBODY thought it was hilarious, so I'm happy to have made them happy. :blech: :teehee: :kickbutt:

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, we had a DIY challenge here a year or two ago and it was basically "Make Something Vapable Out of Three of These Godawful Flavorings." SOMEONE (and I won't name names, @wildgypsy70) picked out Chili, Wasabi, and Pickle. Seems like there was one more but I can't remember what it was. So I've tasted a vape that had pickle in it. And I HATE pickles.
I learned that you have to get it down below 0.5% before it's tolerable, and even then you can still smell it. Oh, it was my own personal wretched hell, mixing that stuff up.

But I think SOMEBODY thought it was hilarious, so I'm happy to have made them happy. :blech:
I don’t know what you’re talking about.....:giggle:

But, seriously.....I personally was rather impressed with what y’all came up with! Like really impressed! All the recipes submitted were vapable.....and I think one(for me) was actually pretty good.

I don’t know what the hell happened with the post. 😐it got all scrambled up somehow.....

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SO TRUE.

My husband tried to help out a family friend that said he wanted to try vaping so he could stop smoking. He gave the guy a mod he paid $80 for (it would cost nearly $200 at vape shops now thanks to PMTA).

The asshole sold the mod to buy cigarettes with. That family friend burned us in other ways to the point where we just won't help him with anything anymore... not even if he just needs a ride to an appointment.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My husband tried to help out a family friend that said he wanted to try vaping so he could stop smoking. He gave the guy a mod he paid $80 for (it would cost nearly $200 at vape shops now thanks to PMTA).

The asshole sold the mod to buy cigarettes with. That family friend burned us in other ways to the point where we just won't help him with anything anymore... not even if he just needs a ride to an appointment.
That'd finish me with that person too. Wound's that wont heal.
"Get outa here user" :kickbutt:

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Honestly, I believe that might have turned me away, too. It was wonderful of you to do all you did for her. Had it been for me, I'd of appreciated it deeply, thanked you profusely, and probably been overwhelmed by the complexity even with a guide like you wrote. I started with cigalikes, moved to a simple pod kit, then to a pod mod, then to more. It's a common path, and a common path for a reason. You were a great friend (wish I had a friend like you) but it seems she just wasn't motivated to give up cigarettes enough to start at the deep end of the pool.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

That kind of thing has happened to me (or us, because some of it has included hubbs, too) enough times that I've just had to learn that if you give somebody something, or loan somebody money, anything like that, you have to do it in the spirit that, once you hand it to the other person, it's theirs to do with whatever they want, and in the case of a loan, if you get the money back, that's a bonus. Otherwise you'll be angry and disappointed - I have been shocked at times at the people that will renege on you when you would have sworn they'd never do that.

That goes along with the rule of never doing business with family, unless you're willing to lose your shirt. Those are horribly negative and depressing things to say, but the percentage of time that they're true is ridiculous.

One of my kids was trashing the other two for borrowing money from us and not paying it back. I said, well, what about the $3400 you got from us and we never saw a penny of it back? She said, did I do that? To which I said, yes ma'am, you sure did. And so it goes...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I had a friend in the UK who is/was a member here who stole from me. I won a contest and the Vendor would not ship to the US so he said to have them ship it to him and he would ship it to me. He first said he shipped it but never provided a Tracking Number. Only excuses for why not. Then when it never came he tells me why would he steal it and described everything including reviewing the e-Liquids.

He knows who he is and I should Tag him but he isn't worth it. Karma is a bitch and he will get what he gives.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
[...] I started with cigalikes, moved to a simple pod kit, then to a pod mod, then to more. It's a common path, and a common path for a reason. You were a great friend (wish I had a friend like you) but it seems she just wasn't motivated to give up cigarettes enough to start at the deep end of the pool.
That last sentence is the whole thing. She was crying on the phone about how scared she was of dying of cancer from smoking... but she is the kind of person who never gets around to anything, (and is always late), so I knew she would never make the effort herself - to even go buy cigalikes at 7-11, as I'd told her to, and she kept saying she hadn't gotten round to it. So to eliminate the procrastination that is part of her personality - to make it easier than pie since she was so scared - I delivered it all to her doorstep, thinking she would be HAPPY to read the guide with the zeal of the newest John Grisham b/c it was saving her life, and it was something new and fun! :)

But you hit the nail on the head. She was not ready to give up smoking, or that's exactly what she would have done. Some people have to wallow in their misery and fear for a good long time, or even get threatened with a terminal disease before they turn that switch in their heads.

Lesson learned!

VU Sponsors