Become a Patron!

What flavoring is in certain juice's that make the vapor smell like literal dust?

I've had this flavor show up twice, in a Red Apple Escobar a long time ago, and now in the Strawberry Kiwi juice by Coastal Clouds (CC).

The juice smelt good and I had a really good experience with CC with their Melon Berries flavor. So of course I was excited to get it in my freshly bought XROS3 pod, until I hit it and breathed out through my nose and got flashbacks to when I hit that Escobar, instantly getting a headache with nausea.

I tried to mix it 50/50 with the Melon Berries but it seems the anti-christ is still ripping through my scent receptors just as much as before.

I'm joking around a bit but seriously, I do not think I could hit this three times in a row without at least activating my gag reflex.

Please tell me you guys have also dealt with this and hopefully what chemical makes that flavor as well.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Please explain what you mean by "smell like literal dust". I know it's hard to describe smells with word (tastes also) I am going through something similar with my DIY juice mixes (I can only describe it as "rancid butter") Tastes/smells are so subjective... everyone has different issues. First though, it could just be your device/coils. If you don't prime and let a new coil saturate and "scorch" the cotton, it will taste/smell like burning hair (and that will never go away) Please give us more details. I will look up your device and respond later.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Watched a video... do you have the regular or mini? Does it have airflow adjustment?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you don't prime and let a new coil saturate and "scorch" the cotton, it will taste/smell like burning hair (and that will never go away)

This can also happen if one lets wicks vape out dry. It's where the whole meme of "Dry Hit!" comes from. If you do it once, usually learn to keep wick at least moist to avoid dry hits.

1tk667.jpg

That-Moment-When-You-Take-a-Dry-Hit0598059701499433475.jpg

Although, will admit there's been a few times I've done it inadvertently with squonking. Sometimes I can go 8–12 hits without squonking, others after 1, or 2 hits I need to squonk.

Atmosphere, altitude, humidity and a laundry list of trigonomical variables can come into play. It can be a Charlie Foxtrot to chase it down. Usually not worth the quagmire, just go get fresh juice, coil, wick and refill a clean tank, RDA.

As to flavors, check to see there's no diacetyl in your flavorings or juice. Most flavorings, juices, vendors will steer clear of it nowadays. Some, though, may still use it, or you get older juice/flavors. There's another chemical to avoid, which is used to flavor popcorn. Someone will recall it and post here later, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Does it taste at all like sucking on a wet tshirt...thats a dead giveaway for coils, thats all i can add

Last edited:

VU Sponsors