Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...if-fda-stomps-industry-critics-say?src=usn_tw

Mitch Zeller, director of the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products, tells U.S. News it's impossible to say if any e-cigarette product will be approved.

(Edit: Sorry about the rule break but this type of shit is very important news)

It's unclear, the FDA official says, if "vape pens" that look and function like e-cigarettes would be covered by the new regulations. "The FDA does not have regulatory authority over products to be used in conjunction with ," he says. "If it doesn't meet the ['made or derived from tobacco'] statutory definition of 'tobacco product' we would not have that authority. If it meets the definition of a tobacco product, we have authority to regulate it only as a tobacco product."

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What a turnaround from back in the day.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
"The FDA does not have regulatory authority over products to be used in conjunction with m*rijuana," he says. "If it doesn't meet the ['made or derived from tobacco'] statutory definition of 'tobacco product' we would not have that authority. If it meets the definition of a tobacco product, we have authority to regulate it only as a tobacco product."
So we label RTA'sRDA's mods and all as vapes and we should be good I guess?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
"The FDA does not have regulatory authority over products to be used in conjunction with m*rijuana," he says. "If it doesn't meet the ['made or derived from tobacco'] statutory definition of 'tobacco product' we would not have that authority. If it meets the definition of a tobacco product, we have authority to regulate it only as a tobacco product."
So we label RTA'sRDA's mods and all as w**d vapes and we should be good I guess?

This is exactly what I was griping about in one of the other numerous threads. The loopholes in this thing are dumb as fuck.

StereoFreeze

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is my favorite part:
-"We have a very effective office of compliance and enforcement that will be monitoring and conducting surveillance to detect any kind of illegal activity in the marketplace," he says. "I have no idea what the likelihood is for a black market, but if that happens we'll find it and those products, if they haven't received marketing authorization from FDA, would be in violation of the law."

If he has no idea what the likelihood for a black market is, then Zeller is either playing dumb or is actually extremely stupid. The misinformation and hammer fisted approach is so infuriating and will only keep smokers from finding a viable alternative. Proponents keep stating the purpose is to keep e-cigs out of the hands of minors, but that reasoning really comes off as hollow and disingenuous. If they want us to believe this is not about money they are doing a terrible job at it. I started smoking (tobacco and the other one) and drinking in high school. No amount of regulation is going to keep people from doing what they want to do. I would think that requiring labeling, age verification, and imposing fines on retailers who do not comply with restricted access to minors would be an acceptable best effort.

-It's unclear, the FDA official says, if m*rijuana "vape pens" that look and function like e-cigarettes would be covered by the new regulations.
My how times have changed. It use to be the items sold by head shops were said to be for use with tobacco. Who new in the future it would be more advantageous to just go ahead and say that something is for w**d.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[QUOTE No amount of regulation is going to keep people from doing what they want to do. I would think that requiring labeling, age verification, and imposing fines on retailers who do not comply with restricted access to minors would be an acceptable best effort.
.[/QUOTE]
you mean like they do with
alcohol
pronography
driving
credit cards
getting a tattoo
abortions
and a hundred other things....but somehow vaping is diffrent....obviously the rat bastards are concerned with adults being able to vape...

VU Sponsors