Become a Patron!

What types of wire does a smoktech alien 220w support in Watt Mode?

pricelessvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What kind of wire does the smoktech alien 220w support in wattage mode? Or is all low resistance wires the same and all work in wattage mode? Thanks

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would only recommend using SS, Kanthal, and Nichrome in power mode. You definitely don't want to try using Nickel or Titanium in anything other than TC.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
What kind of wire does the smoktech alien 220w support in wattage mode? Or is all low resistance wires the same and all work in wattage mode? Thanks
Any metal will conduct electricity. Now, the amount of watts required to heat the metal varies greatly between metal types.
For example: Silver vs Stainless Steel vs Kanthal (no, *we don't vape with silver wire)

For a 0.5 ohm coil build on a 3.0 mm core: (24 gauge wire)

*Silver wire= 509 wraps and require 3000 watts to produce 291 mW/mm2 (shown only for demo purpose and comparison)

SS 316 wire = 10 wraps and requires 62 watts to produce 291 mW/mm2
NiChrome80 wire = 7 wraps and requires 44 watts to produce 291 mW/mm2
Kanthal A1 wire = 5.21 wraps and requires 33 watts to produce 291 mW/mm2

**291 mW/mm2 is a medium warm vape temp**

These are single coils of course. The only thing that changed was the wire material.
I will also 2nd the advice of only using these wire types for vaping.

pricelessvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Any metal will conduct electricity. Now, the amount of watts required to heat the metal varies greatly between metal types.
For example: Silver vs Stainless Steel vs Kanthal (no, *we don't vape with silver wire)

For a 0.5 ohm coil build on a 3.0 mm core: (24 gauge wire)

*Silver wire= 509 wraps and require 3000 watts to produce 291 mW/mm2 (shown only for demo purpose and comparison)

SS 316 wire = 10 wraps and requires 62 watts to produce 291 mW/mm2
NiChrome80 wire = 7 wraps and requires 44 watts to produce 291 mW/mm2
Kanthal A1 wire = 5.21 wraps and requires 33 watts to produce 291 mW/mm2

**291 mW/mm2 is a medium warm vape temp**

These are single coils of course. The only thing that changed was the wire material.
I will also 2nd the advice of only using these wire types for vaping.

Thanks! I'm using dual coil but I definitely understand.

pricelessvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
There isn't a setting on my box to change from kanthol and SS and nichrome. So I do not need to worry about that? Right?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, VW is one setting for all, it doesn't matter to the mod what kind of material is being used if not using TC.

pricelessvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No, VW is one setting for all, it doesn't matter to the mod what kind of material is being used if not using TC.
Thank you so much! I got a couple rolls of low resistance wire that doesn't say what kind of wire it is. It just says it heats up faster then kanthal. I was pretty sure they would work just making sure. Sorry for the noobie questions. Again thanks everyone!

pricelessvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you don't know what type of wire it is then don't use it.

One roll of wire is called g-plat wire by Vapinology and says this
(G-plat wire is an unique blend of metals that heat up very differently than Kanthal A-1 wires. Since it gives you a lower resistance per wrap, your coils heats up much quicker.)

The other roll says One9 hot wires by Chadster and says (KMA and One9 are the newest gauge options for Hot Wires by Chadster, designed and formulated specifically for maximum performance and vapor production. KMA and One9 correspond to 20 and 19 AWG sizing, respectively, and are to be utilized only for highly advanced users.)

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
oh its the g-plat stuff. i personally never trusted that stuff because of all the secrecy regarding its composition. i also dont think i was ever convinced that it was any different than kanthal anyway. that, and i employ the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality with my wire. ive never had a problem with kanthal or nichrome. same reason i never went ss, Ti, etc. - there was absolutely no need.

downInTn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There isn't a setting on my box to change from kanthol and SS and nichrome. So I do not need to worry about that? Right?

Yes there are settings for SS, NI, TI and manual TCR. Kanthol and Nichrome are not supported in temp mode. If you click 3 times then select Mode>Temp then you select the wire type.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
One roll of wire is called g-plat wire by Vapinology and says this
(G-plat wire is an unique blend of metals that heat up very differently than Kanthal A-1 wires. Since it gives you a lower resistance per wrap, your coils heats up much quicker.)

The other roll says One9 hot wires by Chadster and says (KMA and One9 are the newest gauge options for Hot Wires by Chadster, designed and formulated specifically for maximum performance and vapor production. KMA and One9 correspond to 20 and 19 AWG sizing, respectively, and are to be utilized only for highly advanced users.)
The G-Plat is SS316L. I used to buy G-Plat myself. Now, I mainly use ss316L wire. I don't know the other wires. Therefore, I would not use them.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks! I'm using dual coil but I definitely understand.
I use single coil for the example, it is easier to explain. :)

heats up faster then kanthal.
It is probably NiChrome. There are really only a couple wire materials we use.

This isn't necessarily true, especially when you are talking about building to low resistance. For example.. a 0.3 ohm coil with kanthal might be 8 wraps.. whereas 316L might be 12 wraps, more wraps = more metal, more metal = longer heating time. Now when you are talking about the number of wraps, 4 wraps of 316L will heat faster than 4 wraps of kanthal, but the resistance on the 316L might be far below what is safe. However, it is really good for maximizing surface area of a coil while pushing up wattage to heat the coil on a mechanical mod, within your "safe" zone of course.

By the way, when we talk about safe zones and suggest safe build zones, those are only guidelines and a starting area. I started 0.3 to .015 on my mech when i first got it, then went lower as I learned more. Also, remember, just because one person is building a crazy low ohm coil, that is safe for them, doesn't mean it is safe for everyone. There is a ton of stuff to know and batteries and mod design to figure into it.

BTW.. I never use TC mode. I like the control that VV/VW mode gives. Like I can do 4 pulls on a cloud build for big clouds, or I can vape an hour on the same build just by lowering the wattage.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
oh its the g-plat stuff. i personally never trusted that stuff because of all the secrecy regarding its composition. i also dont think i was ever convinced that it was any different than kanthal anyway. that, and i employ the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality with my wire. ive never had a problem with kanthal or nichrome. same reason i never went ss, Ti, etc. - there was absolutely no need.
LOL The secrecy was because it is just 317L stainless steel which is a HELL of a LOT cheaper than "gplat". 316 and 316L are pretty close and much easier to get though.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL The secrecy was because it is just 317L stainless steel which is a HELL of a LOT cheaper than "gplat". 316 and 316L are pretty close and much easier to get though.

a-HA! i had the feeling they were just hyping up some run-of-the-mill material. thanks for confirming.

VU Sponsors