Become a Patron!

What would be the best way to drill out af on kayfun black edition?

kathibg57

Member For 4 Years
Hi All!
I love my Kayfun Black Edition v2 except even with the af screw turned all way out, it is just too tight of a draw for me... I really would like to drill out the af hole but don't want to wreck my kayfun! There is only one B&M sort of near me and based on what I've seen and heard, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trust them to drill it out even if they provided the service...I'd rather take my chances and do it myself (or with my son's help)...
I guess I'm asking if there are special tools used (other than a properly sized drill bit) or if there is a type of business I could look into that would have the skills necessary to do the job correctly? Any suggestions? Ever successfully drilled one out yourself? If so, how did you do it?
Thank you,
Kathibg57

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I drilled out my first Tobecco Kayfun clone with a hand drill. You have to take the positive post of so you can remove the center pin before drilling. Take it slow and you may need to go in steps depending on how big of a hole you want. I think I moved up in 1/32 intervals on mine to make sure the bit didnt get stuck or have issues. before you re assemble find something (drill bit is what i used) that you can easily slide into the air hole, Use tape or something to mark the depth of the hole. After you have reassemble every thing check the depth again. The center pin is hollow with a hole drilled for air you need to make sure this lines up with your air hole or it will still be restricted. Hope this helps.

kathibg57

Member For 4 Years
I drilled out my first Tobecco Kayfun clone with a hand drill. You have to take the positive post of so you can remove the center pin before drilling. Take it slow and you may need to go in steps depending on how big of a hole you want. I think I moved up in 1/32 intervals on mine to make sure the bit didnt get stuck or have issues. before you re assemble find something (drill bit is what i used) that you can easily slide into the air hole, Use tape or something to mark the depth of the hole. After you have reassemble every thing check the depth again. The center pin is hollow with a hole drilled for air you need to make sure this lines up with your air hole or it will still be restricted. Hope this helps.
Thank You Oggy!
I appreciate the assist cuz I love the flavor I get from the Kayfun and more af would make it close to perfect!

Do others agree with Oggie's recommendations? ( they make sense to me but what do I know?)

Kathi

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i was about to ask this exact question. Oggy's comment is what i also found on the web but i dont really want to do this myself, nor is my drill powerful enough. did you ever get it done @Vapinkat ?

anyone else have suggestions on somewhere i can take it with the proper tools and stuff?

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just used a 12v cordless drill to do mine. It doesn't take allot of power if you do it in small steps. This also helps to keep the bit from binding up. I know some vape shops will drill out drippers, but I am not sure about Kayfuns. You could try calling your local B&M's though.

vapopat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wouldnt more AF might change the density of vape and the flavors also I've made the mistake of drilling my omega dripper and now it so airy I'm aware now so I would suggest drilling something else then you're favorite topper first to get a feel of how airy you like it

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't say anything about a Kayfun, but I've bored out a number of topcap airholes for gennys and RDAs with a cheap rotary tool and some tapered diamond bits that came with the tool from HF..

HF has lots: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=rotary
I paid under $20 for the rotary tool + accessories. It's a cheap POS, but does what I want.

Here are some cheap bit sets on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Quality-20-Piece-Diamond-Rotary-Tool/dp/B000MOI9G6

Like this:

bs9mgXFm.jpg
hm3vdbom.jpg

I use the tapered bit to fit easily in the hole and then just ream it out larger. Also took my Drawtube's SS-plated 510 down to brass with 'em.

Blunt needle for scale..

IHIKrYIm.jpg
JYPKvzwm.jpg

Last edited:

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
my drill is 7.2v i have some friends in construction im gonna ask if they could do it. thanks everyone

and i know what size i want it, just a tiny bit bigger than stock. maybe only 0.2mm bigger i think stock is 1.8mm

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
my drill is 7.2v i have some friends in construction im gonna ask if they could do it. thanks everyone

and i know what size i want it, just a tiny bit bigger than stock. maybe only 0.2mm bigger i think stock is 1.8mm

It's easy to do yourself if you have a variable speed drill, just get a pack of small diameter diamond bits from your local hardware store.

Honestly, a rotary tool is best for small things though. Or, just get a diamond bead reamer tool.

If you don't have a vise, ya can just wrap a cloth around it and hold with a pair of vise-grips. Wear some heavy leather work gloves just in case something slips.
The construction guys likely are not used to doing fine detail work...GLWT. ;-)

Last edited:

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's easy to do yourself if you have a variable speed drill, just get a pack of diamond bits from your local hardware store.
Honestly, a rotary tool is best though. Or, just get a diamond bead reamer tool:
lol, lucky me its a single speed. if nothing else they will have the tools for me to do it, i dont wanna go out buying stuff unless its just a few drill bits for metal

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's easy to do yourself if you have a variable speed drill, just get a pack of small diameter diamond bits from your local hardware store.

Honestly, a rotary tool is best for small things though. Or, just get a diamond bead reamer tool.

If you don't have a vise, ya can just wrap a cloth around it and hold with a pair of vise-grips. Wear some heavy leather work gloves just in case something slips.
taking a second look at the diamond bead reamer tool. you think this would cut through a kayfun by hand? what about the size? looking for 2mm thats some thick metal

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does your Kayfun have the new style AF where it goes all they way through the base? If its the older model you will need some thing like a drill bit, It will need to be the size you want at the bottom of the hole. The taper would work if you are able to go all the way through though.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
its the kayfun lite v2, pretty sure the airflow stops at the center post. thats what i thought though, drill bit it is thanks

VU Sponsors