Become a Patron!

When I put a new wick in the flavor is muted until it has been used for a while...

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I rewick my coil but the flavor is muted until it has been used for a while. It seems to take 1-2 days. The air flow is good. The vapor is really good with no restriction. It doesn't matter where I move the air holes as I get no imporvemen, just a decrease.

I am using a 1.2 ohm single coil and Japanese cotton. I don't really understand this. The coil is not new. No loose screws and no change in coil performance or juice. I am using 70/30 VG/PG on a Mutation X.

Still waiting on slowtech to send my other RDAs and new coil jig.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
1-2 days?? WOW! Hopefully someone can help you soon. I've had break in time with cotton, but nothing like that. I switched to rayon and don't have this issue anymore.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cotton takes a little bit to "Break In" and pick up full flavor. Like a few hours for me. Using Koh Gen Do Japanese cotton.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1-2 days?? WOW! Hopefully someone can help you soon. I've had break in time with cotton, but nothing like that. I switched to rayon and don't have this issue anymore.
Haven't tried rayon but did look for it at a non sallies. They sold hair extensions. I haven't tried real hard. I still have some organic cotton balls. Almost used that today. I guess I am impatient. Youtube always seems like their stuff is instantaneous when they build. Probably not real world.

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can tell you this.. As far as my experience with cotton goes, Drago is something you may want to look at. It's a bit tricky to work with, but it works right out of the gate for me, every time. Just make sure your hands are clean when handling it, which is good practice with any wicking material. Fluidvapes has it for like 6 bucks.

Not sure what could be causing your issue. How much are you handling the wick, etc?

Also, what gauge wire and what mod are you using to fire this with?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can tell you this.. As far as my experience with cotton goes, Drago is something you may want to look at. It's a bit tricky to work with, but it works right out of the gate for me, every time. Just make sure your hands are clean when handling it, which is good practice with any wicking material. Fluidvapes has it for like 6 bucks.

Not sure what could be causing your issue. How much are you handling the wick, etc?

Also, what gauge wire and what mod are you using to fire this with?
I have trouble with Japanese cotton sometimes. I saw a video on the drago and that person was having issues getting it wicked. He even mentioned it. I figured if I had issues with JC then drago would be a no go. I only do 3-3.2 ID coils as I cannot seem to wick anything smaller. I don't know.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The flavor us starting to come in now. It is just frustrating reading the threads by all the perfect building people.

I actually don't know if I handle the wick too much before loading. I do wash before touching. Maybe I need one of those rubber cabinet liners I see people using to roll it. That is really my biggest issue. My hands are too slippery. Do you you all use those to help roll the wick?

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A big +1!

Joey, could you be using toooo much?
I don't think so. It isn't tight when I pull it through but there is some resistance. I know it swells so maybe it is a little too much. I did in the beginning, based on the youtube videos I watched where they packed it. They probably used lower ohms and more watts than me.

Last edited:

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The flavor us starting to come in now. It is just frustrating reading the threads by all the perfect building people.

I actually don't know if I handle the wick too much before loading. I do wash before touching. Maybe I need one of those rubber cabinet liners I see people using to roll it. That is really my biggest issue. My hands are too slippery. Do you you all use those to help roll the wick?

I don't use anything to assist in rolling the cotton, I just do it very very lightly by hand. As a matter of fact, most times what I do is kind of pat it into shape rather than roll it for a couple of reasons, it helps me notice if there's any inconsistency in the wick (lumps, etc), and also I find it's really easy to roll the cotton too tight, which can cause a decrease in the wicking ability. You want it to be as fluffy as possible in the coil, but not packed in there.

Anyway, what gauge wire and wattage are you running? I did run into a problem once where I was building too much of a coil for my mod. What I mean is, if you use too big of a wire to make that 1.2 ohm coil, and don't have enough wattage to make it fire in the desired heat flux range, it will result in a cooler hit, which sometimes will be muted in flavor. An example is the staggered Clapton coil I did a few days ago. It worked and would fire, but the ramp time was long because of the amount of wire it had to heat, even at my mod's maximum (60w).. The hits had some flavor, but were cool/muted until the coil heated, which by that time I had a lung full of cold and muted vapor... Get where I'm going?

This may not be the case for you, but I would assume that this could result in a longer break-in time on the coil/wick since the heat is less and the ramp up is long... or maybe not. Just throwing it out there.

Last edited:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am using 26g kanthal on a 3.2 ID. I am using 22 watts on a sig 150 box mod.

I will try that wick method with less rolling.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to use 28g kanthal at 1.5 ohm at 15 watts. That worked well. Tried 29 nichrome at 2.3 ohm at 25 watts. That was fine. I messed up on that one.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
My thought is too much cotton as well.
I'm taking the "skin" off the pads (the stiffer outer layers). In my 2.4 mm ID coils I cut a strip of ca. 3.5-4 mm of the pad. Then twist a tip to get it through the coil and feed it into the coil, might twist it slightly while threading it through the coil. The cotton has little resistance in the coil.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My thought is too much cotton as well.
I'm taking the "skin" off the pads (the stiffer outer layers). In my 2.4 mm ID coils I cut a strip of ca. 3.5-4 mm of the pad. Then twist a tip to get it through the coil and feed it into the coil, might twist it slightly while threading it through the coil. The cotton has little resistance in the coil.
How do you take the skin off? I split the pad and used a needle to fluff the compressed area. The pad is too thick to use without splitting in half. I have read others where they take the skin off but the cotton sticks to the skin. I got my JC from kidney puncher.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the measurements of the cotton for your 2.4 coils. That helps.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I usually build at night and yeah flavor doesnt shine until next morning probly a few hours but damn 1 or 2 days is a lot.

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am using 26g kanthal on a 3.2 ID. I am using 22 watts on a sig 150 box mod.

I will try that wick method with less rolling.
Seems to me you could be using a bit more wattage. At 22w you are on the low end of the heat flux with that size wire and coil.. Assuming you are using a dripper I would try around 35w at least. Should give you a warmer hit and the flavor may come alive. If it tastes like its burning then it is possible the wick isn't performing like it should, which could mean too much like some other posters have suspected. Try that and see. I usually set my coils up to where they are about 300mw/mm2 with regard to heat flux. Some like it warmer, some cooler.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Seems to me you could be using a bit more wattage. At 22w you are on the low end of the heat flux with that size wire and coil.. Assuming you are using a dripper I would try around 35w at least. Should give you a warmer hit and the flavor may come alive. If it tastes like its burning then it is possible the wick isn't performing like it should, which could mean too much like some other posters have suspected. Try that and see. I usually set my coils up to where they are about 300mw/mm2 with regard to heat flux. Some like it warmer, some cooler.

Much better at 31 to 35 watts. How do I know where the optimal range is for a coil build? I have just been playing by the hip. Is this information on the steam coil app? I don't know how to set the coil up how you described. I was strictly using ohms.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My coil build is 74 mw/mm2 so that is too low? Does that mean I need to use more watts? I like cooler vapes but don't fully understand this. I do understand the colors on the steam coil app.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
How do you take the skin off? I split the pad and used a needle to fluff the compressed area. The pad is too thick to use without splitting in half. I have read others where they take the skin off but the cotton sticks to the skin. I got my JC from kidney puncher.
Skinning: I start at a corner, trying to get just the layer, peeling the layer back as close as possible to the remaining (still sticking) layer. Kind of a 90 degree turned U. In addition, peeling and holding down the loose cotton with the opposing thumb, again trying to peel off just the compressed layer. About 1 cm (1/4 inch) in, I'm trying to get the layer off towards the middle and other corner of the side you started peeling at. Once I get to the 1 cm peeled, I continue peeling ideally equally towards the other end, utilizing the thumb to peel/hold the loose cotton of the compressed layer. I hope, this makes sense (English is my 2nd language).
Much better at 31 to 35 watts. How do I know where the optimal range is for a coil build? I have just been playing by the hip. Is this information on the steam coil app? I don't know how to set the coil up how you described. I was strictly using ohms.
You can use the steam engine's coil wrapping page as a guideline for your wattage setting. At the Heat flux, you can enter a number in the wattage field. Adjust the wattage's value, so the mW/mm2 number reaches around 120. This can be your starting point for your power setting on your device. Click on the "how it works" in the bottom left corner.

Last edited:

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I usually set my coils up to where they are about 300mw/mm2 with regard to heat flux. Some like it warmer, some cooler.
Can you give me example of one of your coil builds?

Skinning: I start at a corner, trying to get just the layer, peeling the layer back as close as possible to the remaining (still sticking) layer. Kind of a 90 degree turned U. In addition, peeling and holding down the loose cotton with the opposing thumb, again trying to peel off just the compressed layer. About 1 cm (1/4 inch) in, I'm trying to get the layer off towards the middle and other corner of the side you started peeling at. Once I get to the 1 cm peeled, I continue peeling ideally equally towards the other end, utilizing the thumb to peel/hold the loose cotton of the compressed layer. I hope, this makes sense (English is my 2nd language).

You can use the steam engine's coil wrapping page as a guideline for your wattage setting. At the Heat flux, you can enter a number in the wattage field. Adjust the wattage's value, so the mW/mm2 number reaches around 120. This can be your starting point for your power setting on your device. Click on the "how it works" in the bottom left corner.

Thanks, I couldn't see this part of your message.

Your explanation makes perfect since. I will save this.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now I understand the steam coil app. Thanks for everyone's help. I did not know you could change that number to see where your coil was heating. You all have been a great help with everything,

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you give me example of one of your coil builds?

Thanks, I couldn't see this part of your message.

Your explanation makes perfect since. I will save this.
Ok.. As an example, I am using 26 gauge wire like you. However with that gauge wire it takes about 8 wraps (9 half) to get your 1.2 ohms. That is a lot of metal to heat at that low wattage. So what I did was went for a lower ohm build by parallel wrapping a 26 gauge to a .3 ohm coil. This took about 4 wraps (5 half) around a 2.4mm screwdriver. Less wraps, but since its a parallel build it is roughly the same surface area, actually a bit more probably, can't tell with the steam engine app on my phone. So basically my ideal heat flux is about the same as yours, I run about 40w on it. But the parallel build is a little more surface area so I find that helps the flavor.

There's no reason your 1.2 ohm build won't work, especially on the mod you are using given the right wattage, but you might get more bang for the buck with lower ohms and maybe a parallel build. That mod is well capable of it.

Alternatively if you like running at that wattage you could use a 28 gauge to get the same resistance and it would fire more efficiently since there's less metal to heat. It would be a warm hit at 20w and would be near the top of the ideal heat flux. However, since its less surface area (7 wraps or so) then you might sacrifice flavor again in doing that.

You just kind of have to find what works for you and doesn't take everything your mod has to fire it so you don't eat your battery up too bad. That's what I do anyway. All about balance.

Hope that helps a bit; I kinda rambled on in explaining that and may not have done the best job. Its just kind of how I approach it.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Neunerball, I rewicked today based on your skinning technique and measurement style. INSTANT FLAVOR, and it is wicking nicely.

Swerved, I vaped the new wick at 32 watts and 35 watts. DELICIOUS.

Thanks again

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Neunerball, I rewicked today based on your skinning technique and measurement style. INSTANT FLAVOR, and it is wicking nicely.

Thanks again

Awesome! I'm still learning myself, but I'm glad I could help!

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine seem to take about a day. So it seems we like our cotton burnt a bit.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I want to add, your coil spacing can also have a negative effect on flavor. Current coil wrapping tutorials tell us to squeeze them together as tight as they can get. I have found that this does not always produce the best result. Try your coils tight, slightly spread, evenly spaced and everywhere in between to find your best flavor. Your diameter, wire gauge, pg/VG content and wattage used will all have an effect on how much space your coils need to taste the best. Sometimes its none, sometimes its slightly, and sometimes its a lot. You just have to try it.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Thanks again
Glad I could help!

VU Sponsors