When to get new batteries

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been using the same vtcr4s for about a year now. They might not hold a charge as long as they used to, but they're still working well otherwise. How do I know when it's time to get new ones? Is it dangerous to use them for too long?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Most rechargeable batteries have an average lifespan of between 600 and 800 charges, so depending on how often you charge them, I would say 6 months to a year. Don't forget to recycle your used batteries, you can drop them off at Larger Electronic stores such as BestBuy, Fry's or Egghead.

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Most rechargeable batteries have an average lifespan of between 600 and 800 charges, so depending on how often you charge them, I would say 6 months to a year. Don't forget to recycle your used batteries, you can drop them off at Larger Electronic stores such as BestBuy, Fry's or Egghead.
I have 2 batts and I charge about 1 a day, so in theory I can go at least another year. Good call on the recycling. Any insight on the safety?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As for safety concerns, you should get a volt meter, each battery in 18650 sizes will be rated at a safe charge rate and a safe cut off range. When your battery stops charging to its full charge reading, its getting close to the time you let em go. I myself only like the internal battery type devices so far, protected batteries are a big plus for me, my home owners insurance thanks me lol.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right or wrong, I just keep charging and using them until they just die. In almost 2 years, the only batteries that have died are Efest and any batteries with the word fire in the name. I have AW batteries that are almost 2 years old.

I have not used VCT4 or VCT five batteries, but have heard so many good things about them.

I did not graduate from battery university myself, so I don't know any better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys. A volt meters probably a pretty good tool to have! Since nobody has come in screaming "you're gonna blow yourself up", my mind is somewhat eased for the time being.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good chargers are also good tools so you can see how they charge up. I use an xtar vp2 and love it.

I have three AW 18490s from August 2012 and they still hold charge well. They were used solely in a provari for about a year, and even now in mechs they're not pushed to the limit. Plus I always charge at the optimum voltage (3.7+) too so that's helped I'm sure. Plus I have 17 total batteries in my rotation so I don't charge often.

VU Sponsors