Become a Patron!

Where to Buy LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill and Other Game to Brick Gems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
In sharp juxtaposition to the hero of today's Green Hill set, I've been slow. The Sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill Zone LEGO has been available to preorder since late Jan, but I'm only now getting my white gloved mitts on it. In the interim, a few other game-related LEGO announcements have crept into the headlines. It's time to spin-ball that new info, plus my thoughts on building sheer Sonic fan-service, into a buyer's guide.Scoot below if you want to get the skinny on some other game-centric sets. We're talking the recently announced Horizon Forbidden West one, a multitude of Super Mario themed stuff and even some Star Wars bricks. Technically that chicken and egg was the other way around—LEGO products inspired a game— but who cares? They would still make great companion pieces to own when LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga launches in April.

Basically, what we have here is a freeze-framed, iconic gaming moment. It's a bunch of pixel-cubes that were burned into the CRTs and brains of OG gamers from my generation (and modern folk with impeccable retro taste). Using one minifigure and 1,125 pieces of Danish plastic, LEGO has snapshotted the (literal) beachhead assault of what became a 30-year platforming empire.What's here is a chill sort of build, thanks to straightforward instructions and a sensibly picked array of bricks. Honestly, the hardest part of the whole thing was resisting the urge to destroy the villains of this diorama after building them – Dr. Eggman in his Eggmobile, Moto Bug and Crabmeat. Many is the time when I've gotten cocky, careless and lost 50 odd rings to that damn crustacean.

Fully completed, you're looking at a footprint of 17 cm high, 35 cm wide, and 6.5 cm deep. It's also worth noting that this set is rated for 18+. Not certain as to why—it's not like Eggman is anatomically correct when he's stripped, “robotniky-noo.” (Best guess: a lot of "choke hazard" 1x1 elements.)

Interactivity isn't the main focus of this one. It's mostly designed to look good and make your friends jealous with its floating rings, TVs containing power-ups, a lever-operated springboard, and a loop bridge for Sonic to run around. Even better, I love that it comes with a buildable display stand to secure seven chaos emeralds, lest they scatter and become the impetus for another adventure.

All told, this is an ingenious set that's worth your hard-earned rings. My overseas counterparts concur. You can go deeper on their build experience here because they went full Knuckles the Echidna and beat me to the punch.

Other LEGO + Game Must-Haves​

Adam’s our Aussie deals wrangler. He still owns and cherishes his 6085 Black Monarch's Castle

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors