Become a Patron!

Which TC Mod should I purchase?

Good Day All,
I am fairly new to using TC on my existing mods and now won't use anything but TC.
I am currently using an E-Leaf Pico which is nice and small, but gives me the power I require. I generally set it to TC, at 37.5 volts, and the temp set to 370° to 420°. When I change the cotton I usually set at 370°, and after time I tend to bump it up 10° at a time, and when I need to adjust above 420° it's time to put in a new piece of cotton.
I use 28 gauge titanium wire, and organic cotton pads.
Although my Pico works well, I would like to have the ability to adjust the pulses. Currently, the Pico voltage starts off at 37.5volts, it quickly steps down to 15, 10, 5, then bottoms out at 4volts. I understand that is the way it is supposed to operate, but I would like to be able to edit or adjust how quickly, and/or how fast it steps down.
Could this be caused by the gauge wire I am using?
I use 28 gauge titanium wire because I always previously used wattage mode and a smaller gauge wire ramps up and down quickly.
But back to my question.... I am looking at buying a new MTL TC mod, I would like it as small as possible, but still have the ability to use a 24mm tank, and prefer using replaceable batteries (18650/18350/20700/21700), and I don't want to spend more than $60 on the mod.
My Pico's are 70X47mm and weigh 90grams without the 18650 inserted.

The Rincoe Jellybox Mini 80W or the E-Leaf Pico X seem to be good options, but I am not familiar with Rincoe products, and I have not had good luck with the LED displays in the Pico's. I currently have 3 Pico's w/ bad LED displays, they still work, but it's a real pain in the butt to adjust settings, and the original Pico's only fit tanks 22mm or smaller.

So, any and all experienced suggestions are welcomed.
Thank in advance!!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Up the ante a little if you can. Maybe check the Hardware section or place a WTB thread there.
DNA does the best TC imo. And the C models have Replay and it's fantastic. And the customer service is outstanding. They answer the phone, and no matter who made the mod(the box) Evolv will service it no charge and even pay return shipping - even if the board needs replaced or something like a battery door fixed. If it has their chip in it they will help you.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I second dna .
The only other I would consider for tc would be a dicodes.
That said, evolv does do it better and more reliably than anyone else. In my humble opinion, it’s worth paying a bit more to make sure you get the experience you want.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Although my Pico works well, I would like to have the ability to adjust the pulses. Currently, the Pico voltage starts off at 37.5volts, it quickly steps down to 15, 10, 5, then bottoms out at 4volts. I understand that is the way it is supposed to operate, but I would like to be able to edit or adjust how quickly, and/or how fast it steps down.
Could this be caused by the gauge wire I am using?
You must mean 3.75V.
Basically regulated mods are voltage regulators. Some regulated mods have what's called boost. They all have buck or we wouldn't be able to adjust the wattage. Some, a few by market numbers, have Boost which allows for more voltage than the battery has. DNA has boost.

DNA non C boards use an app called Escribe for settings, and the C can too but w/C more settings can be done directly from the mod. C stands for Color screen and those have the Replay feature.

There are a couple convenience differences between C and non C. With either one you have the ability to edit and adjust to your hearts content. :cloud: :cloud: Both have several profiles in which you can manipulate many settings. You could set up profile 1(name it what you want) and have other profiles set up differently that can be changed to with a couple button presses.

I like the C for Reply and color screen with which there are 100's? of themes that can be used or customize an existing theme or make your own theme. Replay and a TC compatible coil you can with the press of a button save the puff you like the most and it will repeat that same vape till you run out of coil, wick, juice, or battery. To change the vape change the wattage, catch the vape you want and save it.

If you like the vape you get from your wire/coil, I personally wouldn't change it. Try SS if you haven't. Replay takes the ramp up out of the equation. When I manual TC I set the temp higher than the wattage I would vape at since TC will only use that higher wattage to get to the desired temp (faster), then throttle the power to maintain said temp.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Anything dna chipset. Dna c or non dna c is good either way for tc. Hell my lost vape therion dna 75 is still one of my fave regulated mods.
For the heck of it I looked around for a min. Vape Trader has a Therion 75 w/batteries and charger listed, for $70. Good deal but I know nothing about how to keep money safe there.
Edit: Actually it doesn't say 75 or anything. But zoomed in on the box is 250. https://thevapetrader.com/ads/therion-dna-mod-kit-5581
1648333019082.png
Looks to good to be true? Negociable, yet been there a month..0 feedback. Doesn't look trustworthy. But if I really wanted it I would investigate.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Looks like Pico does not have boost. This would account for the voltage dropping like mentioned and Eleaf says when voltage drops and it underperforms, to charge or replace battery. You could possibly use a higher amp battery if not already, like Molicel P26A or Samsung 20S in a Pico to help with that somewhat. But choosing a mod with boost is ideal. And this can be at least initially confirmed by the specs of the mod. If it's total voltage output is greater than the sum of the battery(s) x 4(v), then it has to have boost to do that. :)

Last edited:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
For the heck of it I looked around for a min. Vape Trader has a Therion 75 w/batteries and charger listed, for $70. Good deal but I know nothing about how to keep money safe there.
Edit: Actually it doesn't say 75 or anything. But zoomed in on the box is 250. https://thevapetrader.com/ads/therion-dna-mod-kit-5581
View attachment 191952
Looks to good to be true? Negociable, yet been there a month..0 feedback. Doesn't look trustworthy. But if I really wanted it I would investigate.
So long as it is in good condition that not a bad buy at all. I have a drone with that same chip(dna166). Love it.

You must mean 3.75V.
Basically regulated mods are voltage regulators. Some regulated mods have what's called boost. They all have buck or we wouldn't be able to adjust the wattage. Some, a few by market numbers, have Boost which allows for more voltage than the battery has. DNA has boost.

DNA non C boards use an app called Escribe for settings, and the C can too but w/C more settings can be done directly from the mod. C stands for Color screen and those have the Replay feature.

There are a couple convenience differences between C and non C. With either one you have the ability to edit and adjust to your hearts content. :cloud: :cloud: Both have several profiles in which you can manipulate many settings. You could set up profile 1(name it what you want) and have other profiles set up differently that can be changed to with a couple button presses.

I like the C for Reply and color screen with which there are 100's? of themes that can be used or customize an existing theme or make your own theme. Replay and a TC compatible coil you can with the press of a button save the puff you like the most and it will repeat that same vape till you run out of coil, wick, juice, or battery. To change the vape change the wattage, catch the vape you want and save it.

If you like the vape you get from your wire/coil, I personally wouldn't change it. Try SS if you haven't. Replay takes the ramp up out of the equation. When I manual TC I set the temp higher than the wattage I would vape at since TC will only use that higher wattage to get to the desired temp (faster), then throttle the power to maintain said temp.
Thank you for the time you took to reply. It is much appreciated!
My "perfect vape" is after coil/cotton swap, and clean tank and deck.
What I meant was ... When I replace the cotton (when flavor goes downhill, burnt taste) I start off with the TC settings set to 37.5 volts, and the temperature set to 380. And as the coil cotton starts to gunk up the vape density starts to diminish so I bump up the temperature 10° at a time as needed until I reach 450°. Above 450° the flavor of my homemade Latakia NET juice changes. That is when I swap the cotton. I change the coil when needed. I can usually swap the cotton 5/6 times before my coil loses it's shape. Then I go back to 36.5 volts @ 370°. Now, keep in mind, I am using 28 gauge titanium wire which can easily lose it's shape. Now that I am getting familiar with TC I will try 26 gauge titanium wire.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
I started using thin wires for ramp up speed, but I was also only using watt mode, so I have just stuck with the wire that I currently have onsite.
I know that 37.5 volts @ 380° seems low on both, but I am an MTL vaper, and flavor is my top priority. Using NET tobacco has it's setbacks due to the natural sugars in the tobacco leaves. And since I've been using TC I am changing my cotton much less than before when I was only using watt mode, and the flavor is amazing.
So, I am still researching which mod to purchase which takes allot of digging and YouTube video reviews, but the type of firmware is seldom mentioned.
The search goes on....
Thanks again!!!

Up the ante a little if you can. Maybe check the Hardware section or place a WTB thread there.
DNA does the best TC imo. And the C models have Replay and it's fantastic. And the customer service is outstanding. They answer the phone, and no matter who made the mod(the box) Evolv will service it no charge and even pay return shipping - even if the board needs replaced or something like a battery door fixed. If it has their chip in it they will help you.
Thank you for the response. Looking into DNA mods now

Last edited by a moderator:
I second dna .
The only other I would consider for tc would be a dicodes.
That said, evolv does do it better and more reliably than anyone else. In my humble opinion, it’s worth paying a bit more to make sure you get the experience you want.
Thank you for your time and response, it's very much appreciated!
Excuse my lack of knowledge....but is "evolv" a version of DNA?
I am scouring online to learn more.
So, as you stated, I will have to up what I need to spend. Looks like the minimum will be the $100/$150 range. I will make due with what I currently have until I am more knowledgeable surrounding the DNA firmware. The last thing I want to do is buy the wrong mod.
I have a couple Ileaf Pico's, and an Innokin Kroma-r that doesn't have TC technology, but it does have what Innokin calls "curve" settings which I am guessing is the same as "pulse".??
I set the Kroma to curve and have it set to mimic what my Pico's do. First pulse set to 37.5v, the next to 16v, 10v, then 8 (which is the lowest possible setting). The vape seems to be similar to my settings on the Pico's. My normal vape drag is only 1.7 to 2.4 seconds, it seems like the each pulse is a 1/2 of a second.
Again, any suggestions surrounding which mod is best for me would be greatly appreciated.
My preferences in priority is...
#1 Quality product that has DNA TC.
#2 Swappable batteries. (18650/20700/21700)
#3 Smallest, lightest mod possible.
#4 Upgradable firmware.
#5 can fit up to 24mm RTA.
Thanks in advance

Looks like Pico does not have boost. This would account for the voltage dropping like mentioned and Eleaf says when voltage drops and it underperforms, to charge or replace battery. You could possibly use a higher amp battery if not already, like Molicel P26A or Samsung 20S in a Pico to help with that somewhat. But choosing a mod with boost is ideal. And this can be at least initially confirmed by the specs of the mod. If it's total voltage output is greater than the sum of the battery(s) x 4(v), then it has to have boost to do that. :)
Thank you! I currently use 30/35 amp batteries only. Seems the 20amp batteries are OK when the battery is just charged, but not for long, they just don't have the umph I want.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Vaping titanium is rare. SS is the preferred TC choice for most all vapers. 316L/317L. It also works very well in wattage mode,,,and this that I'm sure you're aware of:

You've tried SS, right? It ramps faster than nichrome or kanthal. Of the many SS options I've used, Vandy Vape has Superfine MTL Clapton wire spools. Between Replay and/or manual settings and ga choice, I wouldn't think ramp up between the 2 would be recognizably different, but I've never used Ti.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Evolv is the US company that makes the DNA chip boards some mod maunfacturer's use in the mods they produce. I've found that the boxes with DNA boards are better made than mainstream.

You have some voltage decimals in the wrong place or missing, but get that you start off w/higher vltg and it gets lower. There's only like, 2, 18650's that are truly rated at 30A. Nothing higher exists in that size.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you for your time and response, it's very much appreciated!
Excuse my lack of knowledge....but is "evolv" a version of DNA?
I am scouring online to learn more.
So, as you stated, I will have to up what I need to spend. Looks like the minimum will be the $100/$150 range. I will make due with what I currently have until I am more knowledgeable surrounding the DNA firmware. The last thing I want to do is buy the wrong mod.
I have a couple Ileaf Pico's, and an Innokin Kroma-r that doesn't have TC technology, but it does have what Innokin calls "curve" settings which I am guessing is the same as "pulse".??
I set the Kroma to curve and have it set to mimic what my Pico's do. First pulse set to 37.5v, the next to 16v, 10v, then 8 (which is the lowest possible setting). The vape seems to be similar to my settings on the Pico's. My normal vape drag is only 1.7 to 2.4 seconds, it seems like the each pulse is a 1/2 of a second.
Again, any suggestions surrounding which mod is best for me would be greatly appreciated.
My preferences in priority is...
#1 Quality product that has DNA TC.
#2 Swappable batteries. (18650/20700/21700)
#3 Smallest, lightest mod possible.
#4 Upgradable firmware.
#5 can fit up to 24mm RTA.
Thanks in advance
Since dna is warrantied by evolve most mods with them are slightly higher quality. Also, the chip is more expensive than most modders boards. Because of the cost difference companies want to their dna offerings just a step above from the quality standpoint.
Save a few exceptions of course

Edit to add: if you get an evolv mod, and I hope you do, be sure to get some good batteries for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your information!!
I have realized that I will need to spend about $100 for a DNA60 mod. I prefer a smaller sized mod, and don't ever use more than 40 watts at any time.
For now, I am sticking with my older Pico's, I was able to flash them with the open source firmware ((can't think of the name) and it is very configurable, even though my laptop, which makes setting preferences much easier.
I also have a Kroma-R which doesn't support TC, but it does allow what Innokin calls "curve". Basically, pulse mode. It can be programmed by the 1/2 second. I am an MTL vaper, so most of my drags are just under 2 seconds. Currently have the increments set to 35, 18, 12, 10, 8, 8, 8 watts which works pretty well compared to watt , smart, or power mode. It ramps up quickly, and the coil and cotton needs to be replaced much less often than using watt mode only.

VU Sponsors