Become a Patron!

White House Pulled FDA Restrictions on E-Cigarette Flavors

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope, all different flavor combos will still need to go thru the PMTA process for approval.

karmakatie

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw that and am hopeful they do more chopping from the regs :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's PMTA?
Think I got that right. Maybe I jiggled the letters around.
Anyway it is the FDA approval process that virtually all vape products must go thru and be approved or be pulled from the market within 2 years from 8-10-2016.

So now the FDA cannot ban flavored eliquid just because it is flavored.
Each flavor combination of ejuice must still go thru an extensive and expensive testing process outlined by the FDA. And maybe get approved for sale. I say maybe...

Fossal

Member For 4 Years
My bet, nothing changes the FDA only listens to the people that pay them. The FDA is an independant government agency, no oversite no interfearance. The only way to stop the FDA is to defund them, and I don't see that happening. Congress needs to shut down the FDA and reorginize them, again won't happen. On the off chance that the courts strike down the E- cig deeming regs. vaping as we know it will live on, if not vaping will have to go underground and bootleg with more and more anti vaping propaganda until sanity prevails. Just an opinion on my part, your milage may differ.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shutting down the FDA would be a BIG mistake as they have done a LOT of good in the field of food safety and quite a bit in the area of drug safety as well.

Fossal

Member For 4 Years
Shutting down the FDA would be a BIG mistake as they have done a LOT of good in the field of food safety and quite a bit in the area of drug safety as well.
True, BUT, the FDA has, in the past made monsterous mistakes and blunders. In this case the FDA, by their own admission has no idea what vaping is or how it works but is storming full speed ahead to kill an altirnative to smoking and smoking cessation. Who will reap the money back by the bucket, BIG P and BIG T, not to discount the resulting bump in taxes. So much for the health of the citizens, the bottom line for drug companies, tobacco companies, and goverment a big bump at the cost of 480,000 lives anually. How long before the FDA death toll excedes that of Hitler and the Holocost.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the FDA is making a big mistake this time as well.

The only valid point they have is that we do not yet know the long term effects of vaping.

IMHO this is all due to smokers stigma and fear of the unknown.
If it looks like smoke..
You are not quitting smoking just switching...
OMG you are smoking antifreeze!
Smokers are a dying out persecuted minority in the USA.
And if it looks like we are smoking then we are bad as well.

WTF? I gots dry popcorn knuckles.

Fossal

Member For 4 Years
Perception is reality in todays social enviroment. But I believe if people would see how the media and nanny groups folks are being used to gain support for a money grabbing, power grabbing scheme. This just hits too close to home for me to not get excited about. If a chinese company came up with something to reduce cooking burns by 95% and UL kept it out, tar and feathers would be the order of the day.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you think Pfizer or Glaxo Smith Kline-Welcome is just going to let a 10 dollar bottle of juice be mentioned in the same breath as Chantix, etc.. as a viable smoking cessation, your crazy. They have invested tens of millions of dollars to monopolize this market, and they will fight tooth and nail, with VERY deep pockets to make sure vaping is seen as just as dangerous as smoking. The A.L.A. is using tax dollars (from cigs of all things) to spread disinformation about vaping because they need to be viable to keep in business. Powerful forces are against the vaping industry, besides the "save the children" nanny state dumbocrats. Just wait until the tax issue hits next. That same 10 dollar bottle of juice is going to $30.00+ minimum. Vape is a tobacco product, right? (ugh...)

Barbara E.

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I read somewhere that, because it was the White House who pulled the (stuff about flavors) out, there was nothing to stop the FDA re-inserting it after Aug. 8th.

Found it. I read it here...http://www.vapingpost.com/2016/06/03/vaping-bans-fail-or-face-challenges-but-fda-assault-continues/

The exact wording was...

"What’s worrying many vapers is that while the flavour ban doesn’t appear in the final version of the regulations, it wasn’t removed by the FDA themselves – the White House’s Office of Management and Budget took it out. There’s nothing to stop the FDA reinserting it after the law goes active on the 8th of August, so the end of vapingin the USA could be even closer than feared."

But I don't think pulling the language out was meant to help *us* - it was meant to help Big Tobacco who are practically the only entities with enough money to go through the PMTA process. Now they'll be able to offer us flavored crap products in addition to the normal tobacco/menthol crap products.

Fossal

Member For 4 Years
If you think Pfizer or Glaxo Smith Kline-Welcome is just going to let a 10 dollar bottle of juice be mentioned in the same breath as Chantix, etc.. as a viable smoking cessation, your crazy. They have invested tens of millions of dollars to monopolize this market, and they will fight tooth and nail, with VERY deep pockets to make sure vaping is seen as just as dangerous as smoking. The A.L.A. is using tax dollars (from cigs of all things) to spread disinformation about vaping because they need to be viable to keep in business. Powerful forces are against the vaping industry, besides the "save the children" nanny state dumbocrats. Just wait until the tax issue hits next. That same 10 dollar bottle of juice is going to $30.00+ minimum. Vape is a tobacco product, right? (ugh...)
We've got a BINGO. Big Money from Big P, Big Money from Big T is pushing the murder of a industry and using the People's Government to do it. Pharma is not known for playing "fair", does anyone remember the cancer drug that went from 7.00 to over 350.00 per pill, the CEO of the drug company was "damned" by the media so he saw the light and reduced the price to 300.00. There are more examples you just have to look a little bit, it's way under reported in the media.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I read somewhere that, because it was the White House who pulled the (stuff about flavors) out, there was nothing to stop the FDA re-inserting it after Aug. 8th.

Found it. I read it here...http://www.vapingpost.com/2016/06/03/vaping-bans-fail-or-face-challenges-but-fda-assault-continues/

The exact wording was...

"What’s worrying many vapers is that while the flavour ban doesn’t appear in the final version of the regulations, it wasn’t removed by the FDA themselves – the White House’s Office of Management and Budget took it out. There’s nothing to stop the FDA reinserting it after the law goes active on the 8th of August, so the end of vapingin the USA could be even closer than feared."

But I don't think pulling the language out was meant to help *us* - it was meant to help Big Tobacco who are practically the only entities with enough money to go through the PMTA process. Now they'll be able to offer us flavored crap products in addition to the normal tobacco/menthol crap products.
Yep it was really for flavored REAL tobacco products.
Not for vaping at all, even though it might impact vaping products.
The way the regs were worded all flavored tobacco products would stop being sold on 8-8-2016.

ggvaper

Member For 4 Years
they have been notoriously pushing deadly medications without adequate studies that have killed 100s of thousands of people.. and when they know how damaging some meds are they withdraw the meds and sneak them back onto the market.. do some research please

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
they have been notoriously pushing deadly medications without adequate studies that have killed 100s of thousands of people.. and when they know how damaging some meds are they withdraw the meds and sneak them back onto the market.. do some research please
Yep but they have still done a lot of good.
And still do.
Imagine how the drug business would be without govt oversight?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
bullshit....I think the FDA should have alittle rubber stamp they can can stamp on shit and people like you can then buy said shit.and then the rest of us can have the freedom to buy shit that doesn't have the little rubber stamp....Tyson chicken the largest chicken producer in america paid Bill Clinton millions in campain donations, the end result was they muled illegal mexicans up from mexico to work in their plants displaced american workers ...and they still were having recalls of their disgusting products every fucking year.The FDA is fucking for sale to whoever can buy them.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
bullshit....I think the FDA should have alittle rubber stamp they can can stamp on shit and people like you can then buy said shit.and then the rest of us can have the freedom to buy shit that doesn't have the little rubber stamp....Tyson chicken the largest chicken producer in america paid Bill Clinton millions in campain donations, the end result was they muled illegal mexicans up from mexico to work in their plants displaced american workers ...and they still were have recalls of their disgusting products every fucking year.The FDA is fucking for sale to whoever can buy them.
USDA not the FDA unless it is an additive.

VU Sponsors