Why marketing of battery amps may be full of hooey

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is sort of a rough graphic guide to what we may really need with regard to battery power and capacity.

Take note of the row that gives you Current (I).

Ohm's Law calculator site http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php ...

Example 1: High watt, sub ohm cloud chaser (note that the amps will be 10 or lower if the build resistance is at 0.5 ohms or higher) ...
upload_2014-7-16_10-36-52.png

Example 2: New 30 watt mod owners who want to try a 0.8 Kanger dual coil to see if the whole sub ohm thing is for them ...
upload_2014-7-16_10-37-54.png

Example 3: MVP / eGo / etc. owners who are happy with their current set-up...
upload_2014-7-16_10-38-37.png

So what to take from this? Keeping the focus here narrow and just talking about amps, a battery's maximum amp discharge is overrated unless you're into seriously high watts and low ohm coil builds. My guess is that 10 amps is enough for most vapers.

One does have to pay attention to mAh and battery chemistry as well, but those can be topics for a separate discussion.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So what to take from this? Keeping the focus here narrow and just talking about amps, a battery's maximum amp discharge is overrated unless you're into seriously high watts and low ohm coil builds. My guess is that 10 amps is enough for most vapers.
There are enough hard core vapists, both knowledgeable and dumber than my dog... running at 0.15Ω (and less), where a 30 amp continuous (disregarding "momentary" current drain values, for this sentence) discharge rate battery - where if you add in a 10% margin of safety - is, at 4.2v / 28a / 118w... barely enough.

Thankfully, there is that, often misunderstood, momentary drain value, saving the asses of those - "ragged edge of a dead short, oblivious to Ohm's Law, blissfully ignorant morons" - more often than they can imagine. ;)

Freeloader

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This topic/information is where a forum like VU can be invaluable. Educate folks and hopefully keep a few of them from blowing their face off their face due to their lack of knowledge. Ignorance ain't so blissful when you are on your hands and knees looking for your lips underneath the couch.

VU Sponsors