Become a Patron!

Wicked my first RBA today, need advice

Greetings! I wicked my first coil today with a pre installed clapton coil on my Smok Baby Beast on a Smok Alien mod. At first it was spitting juice, and there is a little bit of leakage, very mild on the left side. I filled the tank all the way, and I took 44 puffs to find the right wattage, and every thing was going well, except that the flavor wasn't all there, but it eventually got there, but its still a little off. Also when I had the coil in my 512 meter, after I wicked it, the meter did not read the ohms, it was just blank so i moved the coils around a bit till i got a reading and then, saturated the coils with Max VG ejuice, pulse fired it about 7 times and put it in on my Smok Alien. After after I took about 50 puffs I started to wheeze. I was I guess just chain vaping in order to find the right wattage that I liked which was 82.5 watts. I have allergens in my room, so I'm guessing thats why I wheezed plus I chained vaped. Did I not use enough cotton? Or too much? Is wheezing common with brand new cotton? Because maybe I did pulse fire it enough on the 512 meter. The meter I have came with a non branded DIY kit I bought on amazon for like $30 for the whole kit. When I put the tank with the RBA on my Alien it read the correct ohms as printed on the box that the Smok Baby Beast RBA came with.

I think I solved the leakage issue, and the flavor is spot on now. But is there a meter that any of you would recommend?

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I think I solved the leakage issue, and the flavor is spot on now. But is there a meter that any of you would recommend?
Just use your mod as your meter. I think that’s what most folks do. The Geekvape tab pro seems like a good one if you really want one. When I was thinking of buying one that was my choice. Best of luck, it takes some trial and error but before long you will be a master builder.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A 521 meter is about the best there is. Sometimes cotton has a break in period for taste. But the wheezing isn't the cotton. It's more than likely the 50 chain vaped hits you took of 80vg at the wattage of 50 or higher. Vg sits heavy on the lungs for some people, and at 80 watts I'd imagine it's sitting heavy on your lungs as well. Maybe try some 70vg mixes and see if that helps. The allergens in your room don't help either. A deep clean will hp more than you think. Dust and wipe down everything. Open Some windows

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've built and wicked this RBA quite a few times. If you can post a couple pix from a couple different angles of how you have it now, it would be helpful. I promise you, you can get great flavor out of this tank/RBA. It's not real hard, but there's some things that do have to be just so for it to give you it's best.

You're just starting out so be a lot more patient with yourself than I was with myself when I was just starting out. :D

What seems mysterious right now will soon be second nature.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didn't see this before my post above. I just read the other guys haha.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Did I not use enough cotton? Or too much?

Don't know either way. Cannot see your build wicked. Yep a person kind of needs to see it to know. :)

Chain vaping 50 hits, or puffs seems a bit much for one saturation. I use squonking and usually hit three, or four times. I set it aside, hit another three, or four times. Usually anywhere between 8 to 16 hits sees me squonking / dripping to saturate the wick. Sometimes it might be less depending on humidity. I don't often get to hit on a coil more than 16 times without needing more juice.

Plain dripping on a Kennedy with the Vindicator clone I got has surprised me a bit. I can get about twenty or so hits, which to me seems a bit odd. Though it does have a decent sized juice well despite the air tubes coming up from its bottom.

So it also kind of depends on the atomizer (RDA/RDTA/RBA) as well. Know I need more juice more often with little decked Wasp Nano rdas. I can do a modest run on a Gorge RDA but it has a little more of a juice well too. A Trinity deck (USA 1 v2) RDA doesn't have a similar well as the Gorge, but it still is more than a Wasp. The Velocity V2s don't have much of a juice well either even if their PR boasts of having deep wells. Ease of build though sells the Velocity RDAs.

Here's some video help. You might want to keep your eyes open for the Scottish roll method. I find it does well for myself. I use Muji cotton or Rayon with no real set in stone preference.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I rewicker my coil, and this time I had zero leaking issues. I took around 15 puffs to find the wattage and I am getting good clouds, but I taste cotton more than the eJuice. I pulse fired it on the meter about 6 or 7 times. I am using max vg eJuice, so I am not sure if I didn't pulse fire it long enough on the meter, or if max vg juice does not carry flavor well. I smelled the eJuice and it was mildly fragrant, and I checked some eJuice that is 80vg that I bought at a local shop, and it was a lot more fragrant. I bought the eJuice I have right now from ecblendflavors . Com, and I had asked them about the ratio in their max vg juice, and they said that it ranges from 80-99% vg. Do any of you know of a good online eJuice shop with good prices?

I checked out one of the videos, and wicked it like I should. I was making it more complicated, haha. I sincerely appreciate all of your guys' help!!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It takes a little time for new cotton and coils to settle in. Give it a day or so.

A little less air will help flavor, too, if it doesn't make the vapor too hot for you.

Wheezing? Yes, I'd say too much VG in too short a time.

I mix my liquid at 35/65. Like it better than 20/80.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, it's possible you got too much VG too quickly.

Airflow helps add flavor. I close airflow off until it's between .75 to 1.5 mm on either side. I like a restricted direct lung hit.

Another thing to be careful of is not using too much material to wick. Something I do is ensure I have about .5 mm space on the inside of a coil.

(--) Here's a quick cross-section image. I leave the half-millimeter in the top part of the coil open so air can transverse from end to end. This seems to help offer more vapor and flavor for me at least. You can see it better using a wet wick in a coil.

Yes, you want your wick in the coil snug. That doesn't mean you suffocate the vapor. :)

Flooded-RDA-Coil-Hot-Spot.jpg

The above illustrates leaving a gap in the top. The wick is just barely brushing by the inner top of the coils, in fact, it is more the juice doing the brushing.

Wotofo-STNG-Review-08.jpg

Granted the above could contract when wet. It still shows a bit much wicking material though, at least in my view Fwiw. The point is you want to find a good balance in wicking that suits for you, for the particular atty, your juice blend. Know that leaves a lot of room for subjectivity. *chuckles* Welcome the choice of endless choice in vaping.

Some good juice sites?

Mt. Baker

Vapor4Life

EjuiceConnect

DirectVapor

Flavor Jungle (Formerly EcigExpress)

The Sauce

N.B.: I've bought from about three, or four of these vendors. Know others that have bought from the rest. So far no real complaints regarding any of these vendors.

And yes even despite a seeming policy of criticizing in private and praise in public, here you will hear/read about bad word regarding a vendor. Usually a simple "hey so and so is no good, had x issue with them" gives enough for our dollars to vote for a better vendor. That said, if you find an issue with a vendor, talk to them and try working a compromise out. Don't simply spread negative on a vendor without first doing so, because yes vendors read us here too and they will let us know that as well.

TL;DR: Be civil and respectful like ya mama taught ya. And if she didn't well learn it quick. M'kay, all done lecture tossing, bye bye. :)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors