Willem Dafoe Didn't Want to Come Back to Spider-Man If It Was Just a Cameo

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Spider-Man: No Way Home star Willem Dafoe had one condition when it came to returning as Norman Osborn – he wanted to do the action scenes.

During an interview with Mulderville, the 66-year-old Spider-Man: No Way Home star revealed why he wanted to make sure he joined in with the action.

“To do this physical stuff was important to me,” he said. “One of the first things I said to Jon and Amy, basically when they pitched it to me, before there was even a script, was, 'Listen, I don't want to just pop in there as a cameo or just fill in in close-ups. I want to do the action because that's fun for me’.”

It sounds as though Dafoe, who played Norman Osborn/The Green Goblin in the 2002 Spider-Man movie alongside Tobey Maguire, had some doubts about picking up the iconic mask once more.

“I just was concerned about how contrived it was or whether it was just like a power cameo, a reference” he said. “I really was worried that I wouldn't have something to do.”

Ultimately, he was convinced to return. But Dafoe insisted on joining in with the action sequences and would not settle by just being the guy who stood on the side-lines.

“It's really impossible to add any integrity or any fun to the character if you don't participate in these things because all that action stuff informs your relationship to the characters and the story, and also it makes you earn your right to play the character.”

It’s certainly great to see Dafoe back in the role. And he’s not phoning it in, either – his performance is already winning over fans and critics alike.

Spider-Man: No Way Home stars Tom Holland as the friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man. The film is directed by Jon Watts and based on a script by Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers.

Spider-Man: No Way Home opened in theaters in December 17, 2021.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors