Become a Patron!

Willem Dafoe Thinks Green Goblin Mask Criticism Affected Spider-Man: No Way Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Warning: This article contains spoilers for Spider-Man: No Way Home! Be sure to check out IGN's review of the new Spider-Man movie.

Spider-Man star Willem Dafoe thinks that criticism of the Green Goblin’s original mask was behind his character's change of look in Spider-Man: No Way Home.

During an interview with The New York Times, the 66-year-old Spider-Man villain revealed why he thinks the Green Goblin’s classic costume was changed, with the charcater smashing his once-controversial mask shortly after his first appearance in the new movie.

“I must be honest, I am aware that there was some criticism of that [Green Goblin] mask in the original [Sam Raimi Spider-Man],” he said. “We heard it enough that it was probably a consideration, to change it up a little bit. I don’t think about that because I don’t think about emoting with my face. My face follows my heart. It’s just an expression of what you’re feeling.”

Dafoe originally took the mantle of Green Goblin in Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man back in 2002. And with his character set to return, Dafoe previously hinted that the Green Goblin would get a bit of an upgrade in No Way Home.

That new look saw the Green Goblin losing his mask entirely, instead making a (slightly) more realistic representation of Norman Osborn as the hooded Marvel villain. But Dafoe said he also ensured that his appearance wouldn't be a mere cameo.

“When [producer] Amy Pascal and [director] Jon Watts called me up and said we’d like to pitch you this idea, I thought, ‘This is crazy. But let’s see what they have to say,’” recalled Dafoe. “I really didn’t want to do a cameo. I wanted to make sure there was something substantial enough to do that wasn’t just a tip of the hat. And the other thing was, I said I really want there to be action — I want to take part in action scenes. Because that’s really fun for me. It’s the only way to root the character.”

Dafoe stars alongside Tom Holland in Spider-Man: No Way Home, joined by former Spider-Men Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield. It also sees the return of other iconic villains such as Electro (Jamie Foxx), Doc Ock (Alfred Molina), The Lizard (Rhys Ifans) and Sandman (Thomas Hayden Church). But while the final act became a memorable showstopper, it was originally planned to be a post-credit scene.

Spider-Man: No Way Home has since become Sony’s highest-grossing film of all time, with a staggering $257 million opening weekend.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors