Become a Patron!

Wonder Woman Actress Lynda Carter Discusses the Character's LGBTQIA+ Icon Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
June is Pride Month, and there is no shortage of celebrations already. On Wednesday, Lynda Carter, who popularized the role of Wonder Woman on television in the 1970s, took to Twitter to discuss the character’s status as an LGBTQIA+ icon. In a series of tweets, Carter expressed her excitement for Pride Month and educated others on Wonder Woman’s status as a queer icon.

Carter shared fan art of Wonder Woman from Paulina Ganucheau for DC Comics alongside a message saying she was excited to celebrate this month with her LGBTQIA+ friends. In the art, Wonder Woman looks joyful and celebratory in front of a swirling rainbow backdrop.

Happy Pride! So excited to celebrate with all my LGBTQIA+ friends and fans 🏳️‍🌈 Art by Paulina Ganucheau for @DCComics ✨ pic.twitter.com/zpPKELsQkp

— Lynda Carter (@RealLyndaCarter) June 1, 2022

After sharing the tweet, she later defended the icon. “I didn't write Wonder Woman, but if you want to argue that she is somehow not a queer or trans icon, then you're not paying attention,” Carter said. “Every time someone comes up to me and says that WW helped them while they were closeted, it reminds me how special the role is.”

After several naysayers combated her insistence on Wonder Woman’s status as an LGTBQIA+ icon, she reminded them that, canonically, the superhero is bisexual.

I didn't write Wonder Woman, but if you want to argue that she is somehow not a queer or trans icon, then you're not paying attention.

Every time someone comes up to me and says that WW helped them while they were closeted, it reminds me how special the role is.

— Lynda Carter (@RealLyndaCarter) June 1, 2022

Carter brought the superhero to life in the television series Wonder Woman from 1975 to 1979. Since then, she's reappeared the superhero realm after featuring in Supergirl in 2016. Since then, Gal Gadot has stepped into the iconic role in both Wonder Woman and its sequel Wonder Woman 1984. A third Wonder Woman film is on the way.

In December 2021, a new, open-world action adventure Wonder Woman game was revealed by developers at Monolith.

Casey is a freelance writer for IGN. You can usually find him talking about JRPGs on Twitter at @caseydavidmt.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors