Become a Patron!

Wotofo MDura Kit

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction
After my very positive experiences with the MDura Pro mod from Wotofo, I was more than happy to receive the regular MDura kit to review, but I wasn’t quite sure what to expect – was this going to be a slightly lower powered version of the MDura Pro?
Actually, it was very different from what I was expecting.

DSC_0013.jpg

More Images are here

Specs

MDura mod

• Mod Dimensions: 87×52×26mm
  • Display: 0.96'' TFT screen
  • Battery Type: dual 18650 battery
  • Power Range: 5W-200W
  • Charging Port: Type-C
nexMini sub-tank
  • Tank Size: 25×32.85mm (without drip tip & 510 pin)
  • Tank Capacity: 3.5ml straight PCTG tube/4.5ml bubble glass tube

DSC_0037.jpg

First impressions
The MDura shares a lot of similar design elements with the MDura Pro – same leather padding with contrast stitching, same dark metal frame – but as soon as I took it out of the box, it felt different – this is not a slightly more compact version of the super chunky MDura Pro.
If the MDura Pro is Wotofo’s take on the Geekvape Aegis, then the standard MDura is their take on the Voopoo Drag 3.
For a dual 18650 mod, it’s compact and lightweight – it certainly doesn’t have the solid feeling of the MDura Pro, but it’s a much more pocket friendly option – if that is a worthwhile trade off depends on your priorities.
So far, there’s only one thing that concerns me – the battery door. It’s hinged door that clips into place, rather than with a release button – I’ve never had that type of door fail on me, but they don’t fill me with confidence.

DSC_0023.jpg

What’s the mod like to use?
Unless there are some secret button combinations that I haven’t discovered, this is one of the most barebone chipsets I’ve seen on a mod. It’s a wattage only mod – no power modes, temp control, nothing. Fire + Up changes the menu color, Fire + Down clears the puff counter, Up + Down locks/unlocks the wattage, Fire x3 locks/unlocks the fire button and Fire x 5 turns on/off the device.
I’m not sure how I feel about that – I really don’t need any other functions from a mod, actually you could get rid of the lock functions and puff counter clear and I’d still be happy. However, it feels a little cheap to get a dual 18650 mod with less functions than you would get on most mods from three years ago.
What’s the tank like to use?
TL;DR – as DTL sub-ohm tanks go, this very quickly became one of my favorites for the following reasons:
Firstly, styling – compared to most sub-ohm tanks, the nexMINI is a short/stubby tank (especially with the bubble glass). I love tanks like the Druga, Gear, etc, this is similar when it comes to looks.
Secondly, fill port – this is a small detail, but one that I like so much. One of the first atomizers that I truly fell in love with is the Galaxies RDTA which has a push-to-fill valve under the top-cap, the nexMINI has the same, not quite as protruding as on the Galaxies, but it’s still a very nice touch.
Finally, flavor – the coils provided – or more specifically the D43 clapton mesh coil is excellent.
One strange thing about the tank is the choice of drip-tip – it’s probably the most narrow bore 810 tip I’ve ever seen, this might be good for you, but it wasn’t good for me – it’s much nicer once you swap it out with a nice wide-bore drip-tip.

Coils
  • D43 0.2ohm clapton mesh coil - I’ve used Wotofo’s clapton mesh in their nexMesh Pro tank and in the Profile M RTA and enjoyed it both times, it’s no different in the nexMINI tank. Clapton mesh is strange, it vapes almost like a regular wire coil, allowing you to taste the individual flavors, rather than just blasting you with the most prominent flavor like other mesh. While the D43 is rated for 45-55w, I ran it at 35-40w most of the time for a smooth, flavorsome vape and nice vapor production.
  • D41 0.2ohm nexMESH coil - this coil is good, it’s just that it’s overshadowed by the performance of the D43. It’s very much your standard mesh coil experience. As with the D43, you don’t have to push it hard to get decent flavor and vapor production from it.
Wotofo have 0.2ohm net mesh and 0.15 dual nex mesh coils available, however they are not in the kit, so I didn’t get to test them.
The nexMINI tank is also compatible with coils from the Smok TFV8 Baby Beast tank.

Optional extras
Not included in my kit are two optional extras.
Firstly, a single-coil RBA and secondly (and more importantly for me) a compatible version of their rebuildable SMRT kit. The PnP compatible SMRT kit was good, so it might be worth getting hold of this, if you get the nexMini tank.

Ratings
  • Durability - 6/10 – it’s not terrible, but the MDura Pro is on another level
  • Flavor - 8/10 – the clapton mesh is great, it’s one of those “almost as good as a wire coil” moments.
  • Functions - 3/10 – the chipset is basic. Those looking for bells and whistles, need to look elsewhere.
  • Value - 8/10 – the MDura kit is cheap, if you want just the tank or just the mod, they are also cheap.

DSC_0056.jpg

Conclusion
I wouldn’t buy MDura myself, mainly because my dual battery mods stay at home, so I’d rather get the more durable and larger MDura Pro if I was in the market for a new mod,
However, for someone who wants a more compact (or cheaper) dual 18650 mod, the MDura could be a good option – I’d rate it about equal to the Drag 3 – the chipset isn’t as good, but it feels and looks nicer.
The nexMini tank combined with the clapton mesh coils is a winner as far as I’m concerned – one of the best stock-coil experiences I’ve had in a while.
Disclaimer
The Wotofo MDura Kit was provided for the purposes of this review by Healthcabin who currently have it for sale for $35.21 reduced from $42.99, they also have the nexMini tank and MDura mod available as individual purchases. In addition to catering to end users, HealthCabin is also one of the biggest vape wholesale distributors in China, if you're a vape business owner, just contact them to get competitive wholesale prices.

VU Sponsors