Become a Patron!

Wrapped coils??

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Does it do any good to wrap 24g SS with 30g A1 kanthal?Does the current just follow the path of the least resistance?

wolfheartman

Member For 4 Years
Yes, the current will flow the path of less resistance

See in the image the calculations i made in vape tool if they fit your needs.

For me is a hot vape
dcd0d9264190a291d519287e805066af.jpg

Enviado do meu U FEEL PRIME através do Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In a wrapped coil like a clapton, fused clapton etc the core wires carry the current. The wrap doesn't affect resistance but it does affect wire mass and heat transfer. The core heats up first, then the wrap heats up off of the core(s). Not saying you're wrong or that it won't work but looking at what you mentioned, 24ga ss316 and 30g kanthal wrap? The response on that coil likely won't be the best. Awfully thick gauges of wire and will hold the heat longer as well when you let off the fire button. All subjective but in my experience wraps of 32-30ga or thicker (lower gauge) have poor performance compared to thinner gauges like 36-38ga and thinner wire (higher gauges).

The effect of the wrap is still there but the wire mass is far less so you end up with a coil that won't need as much power to get it going and will cool down quicker vs cooking the wicks and juice. Maybe even try a thinner core as well like 26ga instead of 24ga. The only way to overcome thicker gauges of wire (and higher wire mass, more metal) is to increase the power. The downside can be that once the thicker wires respond to that additional power, they start getting hotter and hotter. Again could be personal preference, I don't personally care for a hot vape. Nothing wrong if you do.

mcc1961

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like a cooler vape also.What gauge and type of wire to get the coolest vape?

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i agree, 36-40 SS for the wrap is better

36 will be slightly cloudier, 40 slightly tastier

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like a cooler vape also.What gauge and type of wire to get the coolest vape?
My current fused claptons are 4x30ga ss316 with 38ga ni80 wraps. Kind of a pain with 4 cores and that light of a gauge for the cores, but thought I'd try something different. 3x28ga work well or 2x26ga. Even for single core I probably wouldn't go much thicker than 26ga personally, though 24ga would likely work. With the thinner gauges I get pretty good flavor, cloud production though it's not my main goal and I get good response out of them.

With the current fused claptons they're 3mm id 5 wraps I think and come out at .13 to .14 ohms for dual coils. I just run the wattage lower to get a cooler vape (regulated, none of this is what I'd try on a mech). 60-65w is plenty for me. The thinner core wires heat up quicker than thicker ones so I don't need a ton of wattage to overcome ramp up. The wraps are thin so they cool off pretty quick. I tried some premade factory spooled stuff with 28g cores and 32ga wraps in all stainless, those heavier wraps took a fair amount of power to get the coils hot. Once they did after I let go of the fire button the coils sizzled for a good couple seconds and the vape I got was overly warm and flavorless.

Flavor being subjective, I'm getting what I feel is good flavor. Nothing fancy though, for wire I've gotten good results from lightning vapes and coil society. Even got decent flavor from UD (cheap) stainless. That premade half staggered fused clapton was mkws, I've never tried any of their plain wire. If it's anything like that premade spool I tried I won't be jumping on it anytime soon either. But I'm not using Kidney Puncher or other 'premium' type wire either.

VU Sponsors