Become a Patron!

1.5-1.8 ohm dual coil for Mini PT3 and Spinner III

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, I just want to make sure I get this right so I don't ruin my new Spinner III clone. I made a dual coil that was about 1 ohm when the steam engine said it should have been 1.5, and it wouldn't even fire on the spinner III for more than a moment before shorting. I guess 1 ohm is too low for that battery.

I want a 1.5 ohm dual coil. So 3 ohms per coil obviously. I have 30 and 32 gauge wire, so how many wraps should each coil be, for either wire, and as nano coils in order to acheive a low ohm build without it being too low for the battery to safely handle. I was thinking beteeen 1.5 and 1.8

Sorry for being a newbie, but the steam engine never lines up to what my multimeter says, or how my batteries react.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If steam engine isn't helping, I doubt that we'll be much more helpful.

Try building it again, but add one more wrap per coil. Meter it, and see where you're at compared to your current build. That'll tell you more than we'll realistically be able to.

UncleMike

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
remember to compensate for leg length in steam engine when making coils. by default the leg length is 5mm which is pretty short (RDA style coil) compared to what you're trying to make. try adjusting the leg length in steam engine to 10-15mm and you should be closer to your final goal.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
remember to compensate for leg length in steam engine when making coils. by default the leg length is 5mm which is pretty short (RDA style coil) compared to what you're trying to make. try adjusting the leg length in steam engine to 10-15mm and you should be closer to your final goal.

Wow, that actually seems like that may be the problem. Thanks for that! But would the difference of like 5-10 mm of straight wire really make such a large difference? Steam Engine was always telling me to wrap less coils than what I end up doing to get my multimeter to read the correct resistance.

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The overall length of the wire is what determines reisitance, so yes, 5-10mm more in the legs than you're inputting into steam engine can make a huge difference. Number of wraps, tightness of coil, etc, don't actually effect the resistance much if at all. Its all about overall weird length. (And the type of wire, and gauge of wire, of course)

VU Sponsors