Become a Patron!

.1 ohm ss coil leads heat up first

Vaurapung

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
working on making a coil for Wickless Vaping. I guess it's a stacked coil using revers parallel wire. My understanding of coil temp is that the highest resistant wire heats up first. Well my leads are heating up first. I pre-ordered my wire and it's two pieces of 9.75" mad rabbit low resistance 24g wire. Any ideas on how to get the coil to heat up before the leads. It holds about 4-5 drops of juice and on temp control of 200 works but this is a design I want to perfect for my simple mod.20170427_225843-1.jpg

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FWIW, Claptons originally were called Wickless or Self-wicking Coils....

My guess its the tight first coil causing your hot legs. Or just not enough juice getting down there to keep things cool. Could also just need to tighten post screws more.

Vaurapung

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't take pics of the build process but it's a micro coil that after 10 wraps was then wrapped on top it self like and inception coil with no spacing. But I also parrelled another wire from the opposite direction so thatthe outer coil and inner coil would both be heated at both ends. my first attempt was just one wire and had the same heating issue but one one side the outer first ring would heat and the other side the inner first ring would heat after the legs go cherry. Now the legs go cherry then the middle of the coil heats last. Even with pulsing.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also those twisted legs will have higher resistance than the parallel wraps. Could also be contributing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Vaurapung

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What if I just Clapton around the legs with some small gauge. Would that Inc or decrease resistance.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's the wire? Is it TC grade? LOW resistance doesn't equal TC capable...... thinking if it's like kanthal or nichrome you could try torching it before wrapping... build a little oxidation on the surface to reduce wrap to wrap shorting. But if it's a TC only grade that could be also the problem when using power mode.
But
But I'm pretty much guessing. I'm thinking the inner and outer coils are interfering with each other but I have no idea how or how to fix. Its acting like hot legs on a SS wicked geni. That's usually a tight wrap causing a short. But you only have the coil itself to be a shorting source.

Vaurapung

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mad rabbit low resistance wire is an annealed Stainless Steel. And temp control can be used but after I testing and rebuilding my final goal is for a single battery mech mod. my guess is that the electrons are finding a really easy path through the coil because every wrap that touches is another spot the electron can jump (and Vaping is a controlled short) and the hot legs on genius might be a clue. I know when I got mine the coil on it was really thin gauge wrapped around mesh wire wick which would make the coil lower resistant than the legs. I'm gonna try wrapping the legs with thin wire like a Clapton and see if helps. Ill report back with my findings. It's just hard to believe that this massive coil would have a lower resistance than the legs.

Vaurapung

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's on my indestructible right now and the outer leg heats first I'm guessing due to the longer length required on this rda. The center leg heats up next then the coil. If I juice it and feather pulse it I get a great vape and the juice seems to keep the legs from going cherry. 20170430_083355-1.jpg

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mad rabbit low resistance wire is an annealed Stainless Steel. And temp control can be used but after I testing and rebuilding my final goal is for a single battery mech mod. my guess is that the electrons are finding a really easy path through the coil because every wrap that touches is another spot the electron can jump (and Vaping is a controlled short) and the hot legs on genius might be a clue. I know when I got mine the coil on it was really thin gauge wrapped around mesh wire wick which would make the coil lower resistant than the legs. I'm gonna try wrapping the legs with thin wire like a Clapton and see if helps. Ill report back with my findings. It's just hard to believe that this massive coil would have a lower resistance than the legs.
It not that the legs have lower resitance... the issue isvth as they are higher resistance. ...... with much less capacity. So they are heating faster than the high mass coil.

Vaurapung

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So in short the only solution is to decrease the mass of my coil, maybe try another build that is shorter end to end and another wire like kanthol to increase my resistance so as to not go too low for a mech mod. And I did say in my op that higher resistant wire heats up first. So has anyone found a way to decrease the resistance of just the legs after a coil is wrapped.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So in short the only solution is to decrease the mass of my coil, maybe try another build that is shorter end to end and another wire like kanthol to increase my resistance so as to not go too low for a mech mod. And I did say in my op that higher resistant wire heats up first. So has anyone found a way to decrease the resistance of just the legs after a coil is wrapped.
Meh your dealing with a .1ohm build Imo that's already too low for safe mech use.. unless we're taking a 2 prefer3 battery parallel box.

I think the issue is the twisted legs combined with the wraps themselves.

If i wanted a wick less build I thing I would try some clapton wire in a tiny id. If you did ss core and K wrap. The K torched will insulate the wraps better and with the ss core you can still TC if desired.

Vaurapung

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had this low resistance wire with a 28awg kanthal wrap. 8wraps on a 2mm Allen key. Worked great for my troll and a tsunami but not hipster enough. I guess I'm just trying to reinvent the wheel so that I can have something unique. This coil over coil idea was just from twiddling and now I'm working on each roadblock that presents itself.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had this low resistance wire with a 28awg kanthal wrap. 8wraps on a 2mm Allen key. Worked great for my troll and a tsunami but not hipster enough. I guess I'm just trying to reinvent the wheel so that I can have something unique. This coil over coil idea was just from twiddling and now I'm working on each roadblock that presents itself.
When I said small ID I meant like 1.5mm or smaller. ..

Vaurapung

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those were wicked and drew juice great but with six rdas and a genesis atty I'm always trying new coils after about a year of on and off building I have like 20 different coil builds in my graveyard none with the same design.

VU Sponsors