Become a Patron!

150 watts needed?

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm wondering when higher watts is needed...higher or lower ohms? And is 150 watts excessive for any resistance?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Low ohm is the only way to achieve crazy high watts given the maximum power output of most mods.

Is 150 excessive? I think so, I'm normally happy in the 50-60 watt range. But there are plenty of people perfectly happy with 30 watts or less that think I'm crazy, so there are probably people out there looking for 150...at the very least, it's a nice "comfort zone" to know you're not always pushing your chip to its limits if you're not actually vaping that high.

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Low ohm is the only way to achieve crazy high watts given the maximum power output of most mods.

Is 150 excessive? I think so, I'm normally happy in the 50-60 watt range. But there are plenty of people perfectly happy with 30 watts or less that think I'm crazy, so there are probably people out there looking for 150...at the very least, it's a nice "comfort zone" to know you're not always pushing your chip to its limits if you're not actually vaping that high.
I gotcha. The reason I'm asking is, I'm still deciding on what to get for my tank, box setup. I've decided on the freemax starre, and am leaning towards the 150 watt sigelei but just apprehensive about all those unused watts. I do like the 150 watt better than the 100+ tho. Maybe I just made my decisions...idk decisions are rough sometimes...lol

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I gotcha. The reason I'm asking is, I'm still deciding on what to get for my tank, box setup. I've decided on the freemax starre, and am leaning towards the 150 watt sigelei but just apprehensive about all those unused watts. I do like the 150 watt better than the 100+ tho. Maybe I just made my decisions...idk decisions are rough sometimes...lol
I have the original Sig 100 and love it, particularly because of the unused watts. Like I said, it's more of a comfort zone against pushing the chip too hard, which is what I'd feel like I was doing with a 50 watt device always running at max output. If I were shopping today I'd probably be buying the 150, as it can be had for about what I paid for my 100 several months ago - but barring some unforeseen disaster the rig I've already got seems like it'll be able to take whatever abuse I can throw at it for at least another year while providing more than plenty of power.

Hope that Starre works out for you, that and the Arctic are in my sights after the Subtank didn't quite cut the mustard as a dripper replacement. With how fast the sub-ohm tank market is moving right now, though, I'm kinda holding back on pulling the trigger again.

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the original Sig 100 and love it, particularly because of the unused watts. Like I said, it's more of a comfort zone against pushing the chip too hard, which is what I'd feel like I was doing with a 50 watt device always running at max output. If I were shopping today I'd probably be buying the 150, as it can be had for about what I paid for my 100 several months ago - but barring some unforeseen disaster the rig I've already got seems like it'll be able to take whatever abuse I can throw at it for at least another year while providing more than plenty of power.

Hope that Starre works out for you, that and the Arctic are in my sights after the Subtank didn't quite cut the mustard as a dripper replacement. With how fast the sub-ohm tank market is moving right now, though, I'm kinda holding back on pulling the trigger again.
Thx man, I hear ya. I was defiantly looking at the arctic as well. The specs seem very similar if not almost identical. I just like the looks of the starre a lil more. If it's a toss up with specs, I usually let the cosmetics make the final decision. As far as the Sigelei's...they all seem really nice. 100 watts 150, as long as it does what ya need it to and your happy with it, that's all that matters.

Oberon75

Member For 4 Years
Like guns, rubbers and horse power... nice to have it and not use it than not have them and need them.
There is a trade off though. Unless you know of some more premium mods and chips that are capable of 150w.

Sent from my HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon edition

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Whether or not you need it will depend on what you plan to do down the road and what you like. If you like the taste and feeling of a thick warm vapor filling your lungs while you take a 3-5 second long deep inhale, then you need a mod with a lot of power and an RDA with a lot of airflow.

I went from a simple eGo -> Nautilus tanks @ 12 watts -> Atlantis @ 20 watts, then later 30 watts -> RDAs @ 50 watts and now 75 watts

I have a tri coil RDA that is 0.9 Ohms and can only use it up to 82 watts on my Sigelei 100 due to the volt limit.
If I want to get as much out of it as I do my 0.2 ohm RDAs, then I need a higher power device.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the fact I have 150w available in my IPV3, although I hardly ever go above 80w..I think it doesn't stress the chip having that extra power...
That said even though my Arctic is rated up to 100w with the .2 ohm coil I like it at 65-70w or so and the dual batts let's me vape it all day long on one charge, but I do have to refill the 3ml tank several times, lol
But because I like to drip too I have a .3 ohm build in the Dark Horse that I vape at that 80w or so....but the 150w chip handles it in stride in the IPV3....So no, 150w isn't really needed but I feel good that it is available and not over stressing the 150w chip vaping at my desired wattage settings..
3ac84872a7557f1178c5a199e017b3e3.jpg

from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Last edited:

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like the fact I have 150w available in my IPV3, although I hardly ever go above 80w..I think it doesn't stress the chip having that extra power...
That said even though my Arctic is rated up to 100w with the .2 ohm coil I like it at 65-70w or so and the dual batts let's me vape it all day long on one charge, but I do have to refill the 3ml tank several times, lol
But because I like to drip too I have a .3 ohm build in the Dark Horse that I vape at that 80w or so....but the 150w chip handles it in stride in the IPV3....So no, 150w isn't really needed but I feel good that it is available and not over stressing the 150w chip vaping at my desired wattage settings..

I'll also be using a RDA as well as a tank. Considering the price difference, no reason not to get the 150 watts. That's what I'm gathering.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll also be using a RDA as well as a tank. Considering the price difference, no reason not to get the 150 watts. That's what I'm gathering.
You wouldn't be disappointed..
My two IPV3's have performed flawlessly .. I believe they are quality mods... That said my brother got the 150w Sigelli two weeks ago and has problems with the 510 pin and not reading ohms accurately..l believe he's talking to Eciggity where he ordered it from about a replacement or warranty options... Meantime he ordered a IPV3 and waiting on it to be delivered ...says he wished he got the IPV3 in the first place...but I have heard other people loving their 150w Sigelli mods..he could've just got a lemon... Just sayin

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You wouldn't be disappointed..
My two IPV3's have performed flawlessly .. I believe they are quality mods... That said my brother got the 150w Sigelli two weeks ago and has problems with the 510 pin and not reading ohms accurately..l believe he's talking to Eciggity where he ordered it from about a replacement or warranty options... Meantime he ordered a IPV3 and waiting on it to be delivered ...says he wished he got the IPV3 in the first place...but I have heard other people loving their 150w Sigelli mods..he could've just got a lemon... Just sayin

How off was the reading? From reviews, I've heard the sigelei rounds off the ohms.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How off was the reading? From reviews, I've heard the sigelei rounds off the ohms.
He said it was erratic..never the same reading twice.. He was pissed about his new mod screwing up so I didn't press him for details....especially after telling me he just ordered the IPV3...so it's all good...
BTW, the IPV3 rounds off the the ohm reading too...no big deal as I use a separate ohm meter for my builds anyway and adjust the watts to how it vapes...very simple and easy..

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You guys misunderstood my comment, unless ur a ROBOT I don't think you can vape on 150 watts... It's good to have cushion, I vape from 80-90 watts I owned 2 of this bad boys....
Vape on
BIGBOYVAPER

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's up with this big boy vaper stuff? Is that your signature?

vortex12

Member For 4 Years
You guys misunderstood my comment, unless ur a ROBOT I don't think you can vape on 150 watts... It's good to have cushion, I vape from 80-90 watts I owned 2 of this bad boys....
Vape on
BIGBOYVAPER
I have a buddy who vapes at 150 watts. Not constantly but it's cool when you wanna make weather systems. He usually sticks around 70 for daily use I believe

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a buddy who vapes at 150 watts. Not constantly but it's cool when you wanna make weather systems. He usually sticks around 70 for daily use I believe
I tried 150w just to check out my IPV3 the day I got it...but it kept burning my cotton... Lol

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can do the same thing, BUT for me vaping means VAPING with satisfaction, 70 watts is vaping with satusfaction, 150 watts is DUMB!! sorry for being blunt,you can do whatever you want... Like what I said vaping for me has to be satisfying!!

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can do the same thing, BUT for me vaping means VAPING with satisfaction, 70 watts is vaping with satusfaction, 150 watts is DUMB!! sorry for being blunt,you can do whatever you want... Like what I said vaping for me has to be satisfying!!
What's satisfying for one isn't for some. I've noticed pretty big differences in preference when it comes to vaping.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, I edited this post by accident..
Time to get some sleep I reckon...lol

Last edited:

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So? I'm 6'2", 240 but I don't tell the world about it.. I'm a OTR truck driver, ride a Harley, and used to smoke a lot of Marlborough before I started vaping ..
Lots of big boys around these days.. You're definitely not alone... Just sayin

Well,,,,, u can be bigboyvaper 2

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with ur comment, BUT 150 watts is NOT satisfying!..
You seem to totally miss the point... Nobody I know vapes at a 150w...but it's nice to have that cushion vaping at 70w..
It doesn't stress the 150w chip,...just because the IPV3 has 150w/8.4v available does not mean I vape that high...far from it... 80w is about as high as I can stand without it being too hot..but the 150w chip handles 80w easily, not even breaking a sweat..

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You seem to totally miss the point... Nobody I know vapes at a 150w...but it's nice to have that cushion vaping at 70w..
It doesn't stress the 150w chip,...just because the IPV3 has 150w/8.4v available does not mean I vape that high...far from it... 80w is about as high as I can stand without it being too hot..but the 150w chip handles 80w easily, not even breaking a sweat..

You made it clear before...lol

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I GOT IT ALREADY BRO... hahaha

vortex12

Member For 4 Years
Should never hook your Mod directly to a car alternator. (learned that the hard way).
I was actually doing some thinking today about how you could rig up a built in vaporizer into your car. Wouldn't be hard really connect it up to the battery with a riostat so you can adjust voltage, and fuse it, then have a 30ml tank and atty built into the center console, run a hookah hose out the side and wire up a button to the hose handle

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was actually doing some thinking today about how you could rig up a built in vaporizer into your car. Wouldn't be hard really connect it up to the battery with a riostat so you can adjust voltage, and fuse it, then have a 30ml tank and atty built into the center console, run a hookah hose out the side and wire up a button to the hose handle
Bravo. We keep moving forward.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I figure the way atomizers are advancing 150 watts will be outdated in a year or less. The technology on all fronts keeps moving forward. Look at how cell phones and computers advanced.

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I figure the way atomizers are advancing 150 watts will be outdated in a year or less. The technology on all fronts keeps moving forward. Look at how cell phones and computers advanced.
Maybe... but which way are you looking at it? 300 watts will be the new 150?.....or everything is gonna need a lot less watts to do big thangs?

Last edited:

VU Sponsors