VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
YES! You should be concerned. Those will need re-wrapped before you use them, you have metal exposed which will cause a short in your mod.

Jonny15678

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used them a bit, good thing I stopped and took them out.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See, it pays to belong here. ;) Oh, use a Hair Dryer to shrink the new skin, Not a Bic Lighter. My Idiot neighbor did. He ruined the battery.

Jonny15678

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When A short circuit happens on a regulated box mod is it noticeable?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You could use a bit of electrical tape until you have a fresh shrink wrap. My 25r's get those nicks a lot, quite a few have electrical tape on till I get shrink wrap.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When A short circuit happens on a regulated box mod is it noticeable?
I know if there is a short in the atty, it comes up SHORT on screen. In the batteries is a different story though, they could vent/explode. The whole outside of a 18650 is negative, so you can see how close that small tear is to the positive.

Jonny15678

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know if there is a short in the atty, it comes up SHORT on screen. In the batteries is a different story though, they could vent/explode. The whole outside of a 18650 is negative, so you can see how close that small tear is to the positive.

I didn't have ethier happen when I was using the bad batteries but than again the cover for the ipv3 has like a plastic/glass cover over the metal where the batts sit.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You could use some Gaffer or electrical tape until the new wrap arrives-ensure it will not come off though. 2 of my 25r's have gaffer tape on them due to peeling in this area, I taped all the way around, cut every few MM's so I could lay the tape flat on the top of the battery, and use these fine.

I just haven't got round to getting shrink wrap, and someone on the forums told me this fix-so I haven't got round to getting shrink as they work fine and the tape is not moving anywhere so I know its OK.

I do really need to get a roll of shrink wrap though-its like a fiver for meters of the stuff-well enough to do like 20 batteries.

Jonny15678

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How long can I store brand new 18650 batteries? Forever?

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You won't get anything come up on screen with damaged battery wraps. That's an atomizer short circuit. Very dangerous on a mech but a relative non issue on a device with protection.

It's the damage near the positive pole you need to watch. The damage at the negative really doesn't matter. The whole outer casing is negative, all you did there is expose a bit more negative terminal very close to the bottom of the battery.

The danger here is when you insert the batteries into your mod, as the cell positive contact slides down onto the mods positive contact, a damaged wrap can mean the positive battery pole and the negative outer casing touch the mod contact at the same time. This is a direct short. You'll at the least get a spark. I've had bits of a mech mod negative contact pin literally melt off and spot weld themselves on to the negative of the battery.

Definitely rewraped them, and use the ribbon to remove batteries from your mod. If you forget to put the ribbon the right way use something plastic to lever them out gently enough to get a hold of.

Jonny15678

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I guess I got lucky I didn't notice any spark or such

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The damage isn't that bad yet. The rips will only get worse though.

andyl

Member For 4 Years
The negative portion of the battery goes to within a few millimeters from the positive. Make sure you hang on to the insulator around the positive connection and replace it when you re-wrap them. Be especially careful when removing them from your mod which will be a potential time for them to short as the connector could bridge between the negative and positive and short. it only takes a second or two before there's fire.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just bought this IPV3 LI glad I didn't ruin it
Definitely.

Fasttech do pre cut wraps in lots of cool colours. You could even use some clear wrap and have people freak out when they see them and start trying to lecture you on using cells without a wrapper lol! :)

Jonny15678

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ordered some wraps from battwraps $1 for 10 and shipping is $1 can't go wrong with that

Jonny15678

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm worried the bad batteries could have somehow damaged my new box mod, Or I could be over worrying.

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just bought a new pair of 18650 samsung 25r, and i accidently cut the warp on both batteries near the edge on the top of the batts. Should I be worried using them? I'll be using these on the IPV 3 LI
I got some clear heat shrink from fasttech, had some images printed out, cut images out, and placed under heat shrink. No problem fitting in any of my e-stogie hardware, headlamp (fits snug but goes in and out without binding) and flashlights. Have fun with it!
rewrap.JPG

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely.

Fasttech do pre cut wraps in lots of cool colours. You could even use some clear wrap and have people freak out when they see them and start trying to lecture you on using cells without a wrapper lol! :)
I did the one sony batt with clear so I could put it in my AR Mod and see stainless trough the holes and match my RDA. See pic above ^

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They look great. I've collected a few images from magazines etc but not got round to buying any clear wrap yet.

andyl

Member For 4 Years
I got some clear heat shrink from fasttech, had some images printed out, cut images out, and placed under heat shrink. No problem fitting in any of my e-stogie hardware, headlamp (fits snug but goes in and out without binding) and flashlights. Have fun with it!
View attachment 28162
They look great mate. good job!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Jonny15678

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So on top of ordering battery wrap I ordered some of the new samsung 25rs (green) and they just came. The labels on the battery army sticking that well the adhesive. So I put clear tape over it to hold it down. Will this tape hold or peel off if the batteries get warm?

Jonny15678

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMG_20150903_162806_zpsksdz5i96.jpg

I used just regular clear tape

VU Sponsors