Become a Patron!

18650 vs bigger batt

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I notice that 18650's are the most common battery out there. Most...almost all, of the regulated box mods even mods in general all take 18650. I'm wondering what are the benefits in having a larger battery setup.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The bigger the battery, generally the longer it can last on a charge. 20 amp 26650 IMR or hybrid batts go up to 4,000mAh I think while the best you can get from 18650 is 2500mAh at 20A. 18650's go up to 30A max continuous though which the 26650's don't.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The bigger the battery, generally the longer it can last on a charge. 20 amp 26650 IMR or hybrid batts go up to 4,000mAh I think while the best you can get from 18650 is 2500mAh at 20A. 18650's go up to 30A max continuous though which the 26650's don't.

This is true, there also used to be 50 amp continuous drain 26650 batteries which are no longer being produced which made the idea of a 26650 mech appealing in the first place with that higher amp limit you could super sub ohm safer than you could with the 30 am continuous drain 18650's on a single battery device. Still, the longer battery life of the bigger batteries still make them appealing but with so much of the vaping world becoming standardized around 18650 batteries unless you want to basically buy everything twice (batteries, mods, bigger drippers to sit flush on your bigger mods.) you might as well go with 18650 everything. 26650 gear usually runs with a bigger price tag to match it's bigger size, not always, but sometimes :)

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That being what I said earlier...it didn't mean they preformed better than the 18650's....I can't remember the internal resistance rating on those old 26650's off the top of my head....you have to remember that amp ratings alone do determine performance....just the safest amount of current you can pull from a battery. A battery that has a lower internal resistance will have less voltage drop when firing against a resistance load than a battery with a higher one...so even though those batteries had a higher drain limit I think they still had a fair amount of voltage drop limiting performance somewhat...too tired and too late. It's time for bed :)

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The differences are the following
WEIGHT
MAH
AMPS
Brand/name/color

BIGBOYVAPER

Last edited:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That being what I said earlier...it didn't mean they preformed better than the 18650's....I can't remember the internal resistance rating on those old 26650's off the top of my head....you have to remember that amp ratings alone do determine performance....just the safest amount of current you can pull from a battery. A battery that has a lower internal resistance will have less voltage drop when firing against a resistance load than a battery with a higher one...so even though those batteries had a higher drain limit I think they still had a fair amount of voltage drop limiting performance somewhat...too tired and too late. It's time for bed :)

I don't use 26650's so all I know about them is what I've stumbled across. I remember that 50A batt, but I don't know if they could really do that continuous or if it was a pulse rating. Have you ever seen a chart on it?

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've seen the spec sheet on the panisonic one and it was rated for 50 amps continuous, although it didn't list it's internal resistance.

VU Sponsors