Become a Patron!

26 Gauge NI200-what can I use it for?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people. I ordered some 30 gauge and 26 gauge Ni200 for temp control, as I realise this was better than nichrome.

Thing is, I had no idea the resistance was so low with this type of wire.

I can only use the 30 Gauge, and that is single coil really.

So, what is the 26 gauge good for? It only cost a few pounds but I have 37.5 meters of the stuff. But the resistance is so low, 7 wraps doesn't even give a reading, 20 gives a slight reading, but i can not build a normal coil with it.

TheGayVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm personally gonna be using it for a build pretty soon for temp control. I'll post sometime next week when I get it done :D

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm personally gonna be using it for a build pretty soon for temp control. I'll post sometime next week when I get it done :D
Let me know what you do, and I might give it a go. I seriously did not know the resistance was this low, Maybe a reverse clapton would work OK? I might try that later, thicker on the outside and thinner on the inside, as the temperature control is a feature I actually like, a lot. All of my devices are great, I only have 3, but the 150 and the 75TC are my favourites :).

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ni is perfect for TC (and can only be used for TC). I use 26 gauge in a 3mm coil with about 5 spaced wraps for around .08 ohms. If you're not getting a reading it's your build, not the Ni!

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ni is perfect for TC (and can only be used for TC). I use 26 gauge in a 3mm coil with about 5 spaced wraps for around .08 ohms. If you're not getting a reading it's your build, not the Ni!
I felt unsafe at that low of a build though. My first post was kind of a , I dn't know the word for it, but when you say something slightly exagreratted? I get like.08 Ohms but I felt unsafe going this low, is it any more dangerous than .15?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can't compare the load placed on your batteries in TC mode to those in standard wattage mode. The mod only uses the wattage or in YIHI chips the joules to ramp up the coil to the temp you have set and thereafter uses only enough to maintain it as the resistance changes with the heating of the coil.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use it for single coil flavor builds as well. 2.5mm coild spaced 9 wraps comes in at about 0.065 ohms.
As long as your mod can fire that low its fine, my sx mini goes down to 0.05 and they say 0.065 is what you should target.

I use 28g for dual coil builds, about the same wrap count, 3mm dual comes in at around 0.07 ohms.

I like the tempered Ni wire netter than non, seems to be a bit stiffer and easier to work with.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have tempered Ni200, it wasn't much more (£1 More for 25Meters) and if I am honest I am not really sure how a TC mod works. I am understanding standrad regulated mods more and more, but I feel unsafe when I see the battery going from 1.3, 5, 3.2 and so on in one 5 second puff.

I have checked my batteries for overheating/venting during this mode, they do not even get warm, so I am a bit stumped how exactly it converts the power. I guess it has a bunch of transformers inside that can vary voltage, whilst only actually taking at a maximum 4.1 volts.

If this is correct could someone let me know, as I am a bit weary of the TC, especially building that low. I have been using a 0.2 build in it, and have not been overly impressed, maybe I should go down in resistance? It goes down to 0.05 Ohms. It is Sigeleis new mod, the 75 TC, as I felt that was the perfect wattage for me, as I noticed on my 150 I only ever used over 60 watts with Clapton's.

Normal coils, I found I liked between 45-70 watts dual coil depending on juice and build, but it really is something the Sigelei 75.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Let me know what you do, and I might give it a go. I seriously did not know the resistance was this low, Maybe a reverse clapton would work OK? I might try that later, thicker on the outside and thinner on the inside, as the temperature control is a feature I actually like, a lot. All of my devices are great, I only have 3, but the 150 and the 75TC are my favourites :).
Twist it with 28 Gauge Kanthal. Make a 6 wrap around a 3mm Mandrel.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It sounds like your mod is showing you the live voltage it's sending. It may spike 5v to get the coil to temp and them taper to the 1.5v you saw once it got to the temp you set it to.

Lots of mods, even mods years old are able to push voltage above what the battery has to offer. Maybe capacitors or something like that.

By all means, if your mod can fire down to 0.05, build close to that. It won't hurt anything and you may like it more than a 0.2.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok I will give it a go, as long as I know it is not dangerous to my batteries or anything of the sort? It shouldn't though should it as these things are REGULATED mods?

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I also made the mistake of getting 26G instead of 28 or 30. I like it, but I find I can only do single coil and even then I have to use so many wraps it eventually stops reading as temp control.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also made the mistake of getting 26G instead of 28 or 30. I like it, but I find I can only do single coil and even then I have to use so many wraps it eventually stops reading as temp control.
Same here, It is pretty much useless now, I am going to try it as a reverse clapton to see if that gives more resistance, I may even remove the wire in the middle to make it a super tight, hollow clapton with hopefully a useable resistance. I have built many coils, But at 7 wraps I am not getting a reading on my ohm reader and a reading of 0.2 on my sigelei, so that wont fire. I need a better ohm reader, this one cost about £8 but is not as accurate as my actual devices.

Like a 0.15 coil on the ohm reader would actually be 0.18 on the mod, for example.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
My sig 75 reads a bit high too. Stock .15 reads .17 on sig. .2 stick coil reads. 23 on mod. There are variations in stock coils but it reads,a few tenths high on everything

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 Dumbphone

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Same here, It is pretty much useless now, I am going to try it as a reverse clapton to see if that gives more resistance, I may even remove the wire in the middle to make it a super tight, hollow clapton with hopefully a useable resistance. I have built many coils, But at 7 wraps I am not getting a reading on my ohm reader and a reading of 0.2 on my sigelei, so that wont fire. I need a better ohm reader, this one cost about £8 but is not as accurate as my actual devices.

Like a 0.15 coil on the ohm reader would actually be 0.18 on the mod, for example.
Why won't the 0.2 fire? Minimum in TC on the Sig is 0.05. Or did you mean to type 0.02? You can't and don't want to fire it in regular wattage mode. If you glow the coil it's no longer tempered nickel. I just got my IPV D2 today and am happily vaping a 0.073 tempered nickel coil in a rebuilt Isub head as I type. I haven't picked one up yet but the consensus on a dedicated ohm reader for very low builds seems to be http://www.shop.usaohmmeters.com/Standard-Ohm-Meters_c2.htm.
I'm not sure about international shipping and VAT and all that crap but it might be an option.
Edit: Yours did fairly well if it read the .18 as .15 my Eleaf meter claimed my 0.07 build was .23!

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try a single coil, it is not useless in single coil mode. TC actually reintroduced me to single coil. I haven't built single in a long time. With TC you can get amazing flavor and vapor with a single 0.065 to 0.075 build.
I do build dual in my cloud chaser rda and orchid because they are dedicated dual coil atys (28g) but I build single in my freakshow mini flavor factory (8 wrap, spaced 2.5mm ~0.065)

My meter will not read below 0.1 either, I just use it as a base to build on and kind of know what I need to make now to hit my target then just check it on my TC mod... since my builds are always below 0.1 ohms.

And you need to retrain your brain on how many wraps. 7 wrap 3mm 26g dual coil will be about 0.02 ohms and WAY too low.
9 wrap 3mm 28g is about 0.065 ohms... thats 28g.

Last edited:

dismantlebob

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ni200 clapton 26g core 28g wrap .065

Attachments

• 20150805_201911-1.jpg
    20150805_201911-1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 14