Become a Patron!

26650 venting question

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anybody ever had their 26650 battery vent before? Asking because the local vape shop says the 26650 is safer for sub ohm builds than the 18650 as long as one obeys ohms law, but accidents do happen, and they tell me its with the 18650 vs the 26650.
I haven't heard of any 26650's venting but I'm sure some folks have experienced it happen to them..

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They will vent just like any other battery.. 26650's are just a bigger version of the same battery. I dont know why your local shop would tell you different.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They will vent just like any other battery.. 26650's are just a bigger version of the same battery. I dont know why your local shop would tell you different.
I guess because of the higher batt rating..like the 26650 purple Efest they sell rated at 32Ac/64Ap and 4200 mAh...

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
An extra 2amps 'rating' over a VTC5 is not really 'higher' ;) The mAh doesnt matter..

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Venting will usually happen because of a short. Without a short you would need to be building super ludicrous 0.05 builds or whatever and be taking super human 15 second drags... and/or have a really shitty battery.

They would be correct if they said that the 26 will have a higher discharge capacity than the 18 so in theory the 26 has a better chance of not venting compared to an 18 with a short being absent.

Ad a short into the mix and if power is held on for long enough they will both vent exactly the same, neither is any better than the other.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know if there is a 18650 rated at 4200 mAh..seems the 26650 would go longer on a single charge with the same build rated at 4200...oh well, appreciate your post

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, but capacity (time) and discharge rate (power) are two different things... in the context of this conversation about venting.

Either way, good 18 or 26 batteries are not going to just vent if you build correctly and don't have a problem with your mods insulators.

Get a good sony or lg (or mxjo from what I am hearing) and you don't have to worry about the battery, if your equipment is running right you wont vent. If it's not, you may vent a 18 or 26.

I will go 26500 once someone makes a mod that's not telescopic. The higher capacity (mah) will slow down voltage loss and i can have a shorter mod that lasts longer. But haven't seen one yet so 18650 and all is good.

Last edited:

dwayne.stansberry

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Batteries vent for various reasons. Size just determines how much of a mess it potentially creates.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if there is a 18650 rated at 4200 mAh..seems the 26650 would go longer on a single charge with the same build rated at 4200...oh well, appreciate your post

The capacity of a battery, rated in Milli Amp Hours, is NOT the same as its discharge rate, rated in Amps.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The capacity of a battery, rated in Milli Amp Hours, is NOT the same as its discharge rate, rated in Amps.
I didn't say it was..I was saying a 4200
mAh batt would last longer before needing recharged than say a batt rated at 2100 mAh given the same load..just like the 3300 mAh batt in this phone goes almost 3 days on one charge compared to the 2000 mAh batt that barely lasted 1-1/2 days in my phone before this one....

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, but capacity (time) and discharge rate (power) are two different things... in the context of this conversation about venting.

Either way, good 18 or 26 batteries are not going to just vent if you build correctly and don't have a problem with your mods insulators.

Get a good sony or lg (or mxjo from what I am hearing) and you don't have to worry about the battery, if your equipment is running right you wont vent. If it's not, you may vent a 18 or 26.

I will go 26500 once someone makes a mod that's not telescopic. The higher capacity (mah) will slow down voltage loss and i can have a shorter mod that lasts longer. But haven't seen one yet so 18650 and all is good.
Someone does ..the 26650 BFM from Bay City Vapor is one tube in copper or stainless if I understood your post correctly...

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I didn't say it was..I was saying a 4200
mAh batt would last longer before needing recharged than say a batt rated at 2100 mAh given the same load..just like the 3300 mAh batt in this phone goes almost 3 days on one charge compared to the 2000 mAh batt that barely lasted 1-1/2 days in my phone before this one....

You asked if is vents and that you were told it was safer, then implied that was because of the higher mAh..

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone does ..the 26650 BFM from Bay City Vapor is one tube in copper or stainless if I understood your post correctly...

The BFM is nice but its a 650, there are 500's out but they are telescopic for 500 or 650 twenty six hundred series batteries.
Waiting for a dedicated 26500 mod ;)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The BFM is nice but its a 650, there are 500's out but they are telescopic for 500 or 650 twenty six hundred series batteries.
Waiting for a dedicated 26500 mod ;)
7a6980e35e8b129e0932e568613a407d.jpg
3df590079f20bbb255a1a818c5d7710c.jpg

The reason I suggested the 26650 BFM is because my experience with them has been awesome! Its absolutely the hardest hitting mod I have ever vaped... I own two, one in copper and one in stainless..blows pretty good clouds too, and the 3500 mAh 26650 batt let's me sub ohm vape all day long on a single charge... I have had no problems with battery overheating or venting as I obey ohms law for safety..but I was wondering if anybody out there has witnessed a 26650 venting..... Thx

Last edited:

VU Sponsors