Become a Patron!

304 stainless steel wire

jamey554

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a smok vct-a1 is has a 304 stainless steel wire coild head in it, i love the stainless steel wire coil, it still looks just like the day i bought it and the flavor off it is killer, i would like to try some stainless steel coil builds in my rda's does anyone have any ideal where that type of wire is being sold at.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Probly could get a spool of 304 or 316 wire at any welding supply shop..called MIG wire and comes in .035" and .045" diameters... Just a thought, lol

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got got some 316 SS and am wondering if it ohms out like kanthal or if know what's a good build?

You can calculate the ohms for a ss coil using Steam Engine here. I ordered SS wire from a couple different places (still not here), but from what I've read, it's about half the resistance of kanthal at the same gauge.

On the calculator (using all 26 gauge wire), to get a .5Ω SS-316 coil on a 2.5mm rod you would need 7.5 wraps (see here). If you keep everything the same in the calculator but change the wire to kanthal, it would take 3.8 wraps (see here). Basically, if you want to build coils similar to kanthal with SS, you could simply use higher gauge SS wire. 28 gauge SS wire seems like a good option if you like 26 gauge kanthal. They won't be identical, but they will be close.

Basically, if you prefer to build around 1Ω coils you should get 30 gauge Stainless Steel wire. If you build around .5Ω coils get 28 gauge SS. If you like even lower ohm coils get 22-24 gauge. I'm only talking about normal single coil builds here. If you build dual coils, parallel coils or twisted, that's a different discussion. I hope this helps.

I have a smok vct-a1 is has a 304 stainless steel wire coild head in it, i love the stainless steel wire coil, it still looks just like the day i bought it and the flavor off it is killer, i would like to try some stainless steel coil builds in my rda's does anyone have any ideal where that type of wire is being sold at.
Beadalon has SS wire and shipping time is three days for me. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just looking at this wire on amazon. Is the resistance close to that of kanthal. What gauge do you buy and what do you build
I highly recommend getting wire from Lightening Vapes. They are having a 50% off + free shipping sale on Amazon right now. It isn't for all their products but you can get a killer deal on wire. I highly recommend using 26 gauge SS but 24g and 28g are worth checking out as well. Lightening Vapes has been the most popular wire supplier for years. (the highlights all have links)

Steel wire has about half the resistance of kanthal wire. I prefer a cool vape and I can easily get that even with low ohm SS builds. Honestly, most of my builds these days are made with premade stainless steel Clapton wire, but normal straight wire is still good. All of my builds use spaced coils for temp control. They work just as well in watt mode.

VU Sponsors