3D Printing & Custom 3D Printing Services

Discussion in 'Vaping Related But Doesn't Fit In a Category' started by PhantomOp, Mar 20, 2017.

1. PhantomOp

PhantomOp VU Donator Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    A little bit of market research and investigation here ...

Throughout the vaping community, I'm seeing more and more "things" being designed and printed in 3D.
    MODs, stands, tools, just about anything you can think of can now be 3D printed.

My wife and I are thinking of investing in a 3D Printer, and I was curious if this would be something that people in the VU community (and all vaping community) would be interested in using as a service / have available as a service --- Custom 3D Printing.

Want your wife's name on a MOD? Print it...
    Want a custom designed MOD? Print it...
    Have an idea for a coil building tool? Print it...
    Want some fancy looking atty / MOD holder? Print it ...

The ideas are limitless.

I'm still very much in the investigative stages of this thought, and with any good business idea, market research is a must have ... so this is my first "step" in to the market research.

upload_2017-3-20_21-52-38.png

[​IMG]

EMusic, Ryedan, mjag and 4 others like this.
  2. 315jessie

315jessie Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Make a simple spinner and then you can evolve from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPROSEK, PhantomOp and SirRichardRear like this.
  3. Tamer El-Meehy

Tamer El-Meehy Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I am sure a lot of squonkers would like to have reasonably priced printed mods

skt239, 315jessie, BPROSEK and 2 others like this.
  4. PhantomOp

Blog Posts:
    What is "reasonably priced" ?

I'm still documenting the costs associated with 3D printing and trying to come up with cost calculations for filament types, etc.

BPROSEK likes this.
  5. Tamer El-Meehy

Tamer El-Meehy Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Well, take a look at Floris. Or even better ask the guys over on the Squonkers are Bonkers thread here.

BPROSEK and PhantomOp like this.
  6. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I kinda-sorta looked into that myself and decided the cost for a decent 3D printer - and the quality filaments I would want - would require more investment than I'd be willing to gamble on without a flagship type product

BPROSEK and PhantomOp like this.
  7. gakudzu

gakudzu Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I'd get in line for a dual-26650 parallel box that would fit the Slice FSK chip. Or a quad-18650 series-parallel for the G2 chip.

mjag and BPROSEK like this.
  8. PhantomOp

Blog Posts:
    Funny that you say that. @Mike H. started my brain thinking a few weeks ago when he got my orange G2 from me and said the only reason he wanted the MOD was to rip the chip out of it and put it in a custom box. My mind starting spinning on the wheels then ...

Mike H., mjag, BPROSEK and 1 other person like this.
  9. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    That is what I'd like to know

I can think of a handful of things I'd like to have printed, but not sure how much I would want to pay

Especially because some of the items would require taking gear apart to get the specs, etc

Also, custom colors come into play here also

BPROSEK likes this.
  10. PhantomOp

Blog Posts:
    That is why i'm going to go through the costing factors and try to work up some basic "costs" on stuff to then throw out some pricing models to see if it is worth it or not.

I want to find the "reasonably priced" and what others think that is.

BPROSEK likes this.
  11. gakudzu

gakudzu Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Yep. Several peeps on the G2 and Slice threads have expressed interest in a better looking box for the chip. Personally, I love my lil blue brick, lol. But if I could get printed boxes for the chips, I'd buy another Slice for $30 just because.

mjag likes this.
  12. gakudzu

gakudzu Gold Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I have no idea what 3D stuff costs. I'd pay $50 easy, possibly $75, maybe more if I'm impressed enough. I consider myself a bit of a tightwad, so I'm probably being stingy. I really don't know.

13. Rickajho

Rickajho Gold Contributor ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Welp, you are going to have to cost it out yourself. Nothing is going to move that bottom line figure.

Personally, I have never seen "reasonable" (or to some people way of thinking "cheap") come into play at 3D printing sites. People are paying for a service to get what they want, be it in form or color. Or both. That alone has a value associated with it. Whether they want to pay a fee for that customization is another matter. Even the novelty of having a 3D printed item has a value associated with it. I pay for a 3D printed item because 1.) I can't get it any other way. 2.) It's custom or has a custom color. 3.) It's inexpensive.

Then the matter of who is going to do the plans - the one that actually works. It's easy enough for people to say "print me a thing" but a lot of folks don't comprehend what it takes to get from vague idea to end result in 3D printing. It's a time consuming and potentially wasteful process. Are you considering a 3D scanner?

Depending on the "thing" finishing takes time beyond the printing. Who does that? You or the customer? Another cost to consider, dependent on what it being printed.

Ryedan, PhantomOp and Wicked Gene like this.
  14. JuicyLucy

Blog Posts:
    That's where I started getting the head-spins and out of control costs

What I would like to print are the tube and stopper (don't know what it's really called) like they use for the bottles on the Inbox or even the cheesey Pico Squeeze to fit in an REO

If it could be done economically, it would eliminate the need for finicky soft Italian bottles and add a cheaper and less hard to find source for the actual bottles.

PhantomOp and inspects like this.
  15. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I have 8 GDEAL squonker left gave a couple away to good people....I love these light shit pocket mods....they vape really nice with the DNA 40 chips.

Think I paid 300(+0)(-) bucks a piece for them custom painted....worth the money for my needs.

PhantomOp likes this.
  16. inspects

inspects Squonkamaniac Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Indeed Juice...if someone made a good squonker at a reasonable price, they'd sell like hotcakes....just look at all the junk out there.

PhantomOp likes this.
  17. Iliketurtles

Iliketurtles Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    You would need specific products. 3d custom printing services already exist, the reason everyone isn't using them is that they don't have the skills/knowledge to produce the design that is required for the 3d printer. Having an idea of what you want is not the same as having a CAD digital model or a file that the printer can print. Someone has to produce that and that someone is not going to be 95% of end users.

18. skt239

skt239 VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Keep it under $100 and make them accessible. I'd love to get a flora or anchor squonk but I'm not on FB so I can't get into the secret societies that sell them. I think squonking will blow up in 2017 and every company will have one in their line up.

PhantomOp likes this.
  19. Mike H.

Mike H. Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    And indeed the chip shall find a much nicer box to call home...Im not much of a fan with 3d printed items..maybe a battery sled but a full box just isn't appealing to me at all..I don't see how plastic with a bunch of lines in it feels of any quality..Aluminum boxes for me all the way...maybe a custom 3d printed chip sled would be nice like they do for the DNA chips already.

PhantomOp likes this.
  20. PhantomOp

Blog Posts:
    This is all dependent of the quality of the print / printer. Some of the printers can output 100 micron. I'm also researching smoothing / sanding and painting them. In my simple mind, I should be able to print out an item, and then make the final product as smooth as painted butter.

Ryedan and gakudzu like this.
  21. CJ-3

CJ-3 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    There are also some printers that print with stainless steel.

PhantomOp likes this.
  22. JuicyLucy

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, out of curiosity, I did a quick google on custom 3-d printing. One of the top hits offered ultem 3d printing...

PhantomOp likes this.
  23. skt239

skt239 VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I was looking at some Italian bottles last night and holy shit, almost $30 for one? I guess if you do a lot of squonking it's worth it. I was looking at those bottles to use in Dripbox but there is no way I'm buying a plastic bottle that cost more than the mod it's going in.

24. JuicyLucy

Blog Posts:
    Rob is selling the soft Italians agains on the REO site for $6 each, plus postage

skt239 likes this.
  25. Mike H.

Mike H. Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    For me personally ive just never considered plastic a quality material..You can put high quality inside of the plastic box but plastic to me just feels cheap even if its painted...You can get Hammond plastic boxes for cheap if you wanted to test a design..Im gonna do that with a squonker then transfer everything to an aluminum box of some sorts.

26. PhantomOp

Blog Posts:
    I understand your point on this. Some plastics do feel very cheap and aluminum really gives of the "feel" of substance to your purchase.

27. Ryedan

Ryedan Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Great idea PhantomOp! I've had a couple of things printed the past couple of years. I looked around and found Shapeways was the best deal for me for low volume stuff so I used them. If you haven't already, it's easy to get prices from them online and that would give you an idea of how much the competition is charging.

If you don't have design software already and want a couple of part files to get quotes with, PM me. I've got 3D CAD software I'm quite familiar with.

Best of luck with it [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    PhantomOp and Rickajho like this.
  28. PhantomOp

Blog Posts:
    Can I ask what kind a material / filament you had them use?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

29. Ryedan

Ryedan Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Sure, and I'll also give you a bit more info on the vape part I had done.

This is a sx350j sled I designed for a mod I'm planning to build:

[​IMG]
    I had it done using their laser sintering process in 'metalic plastic' and 'white strong and flexible'. Prices were around $7 each. I don't remember what the plastics are but you can find that out on the website.

Hope that helps a bit :)

30. SurroundedByCloudz

SurroundedByCloudz New Member

Blog Posts:
    I think you have given me the reason I have been looking for the get a 3D Printer.

Ryedan likes this.
  31. CJ

CJ VU Webmaster Staff Member VU Senior Leadership VU Senior Administrator Senior Moderator Bronze Contributor Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I've researched 3d printers for months now, out of the sub $300 range I've found that the Tevo Tarantula is the best choice. I've found a few sites but seem to have bookmarked this one for my self to buy eventually.

The biggest thing is setup, if you can handle the printer and get a good setup and settings your filament is about the only other thing you need to worry about. Please remember that a lot of ABS filaments can cause some pretty nasty fumes and be toxic so don't run these things in a small office room or something!

32. SurroundedByCloudz

SurroundedByCloudz New Member

Blog Posts:
    Awesome man, thanks for the info!! :D I will post pics when I get mine :D