Become a Patron!

454 Big Block RDA

bigbadthor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kyptonite's 454 Big Block is a 22mm brushed/polished stainless steel RDA. It comes in a small tin with a drip tip and a baggie of screws (with two extra). It features adjustable airflow for single, dual and quad coils. It is a ONE post design where the negative tail of your coils are secured under a screwed-in stainless steel ring, effectively making the inside of the RDA the negative.
I believe each air hole is approximately 2mm. When in quad coil mode, aspiration is wide open with virtually no restriction whatsoever. That being said, it does whistle a bit the harder your pull is. The AFC is a bit hard to adjust when seated properly but I like that. I don't like it when they move when I don't want them to.
The top cap is finned (much like the Tobh Atty) for a heat sink effect and comes off with ease, allowing a full view of your setup for painless dripping onto each coil. I have recovered from the top cap falling off in my pocket and making a mess, so be aware that it is not as secure as most RDA's with this feature. Chamber reduction is accomplished by a sloping concave.
The Delrin drip tip has a stainless steel accent on the top, which I think looks classy and tasteful. The bottom is actually sealed with a hole drilled lengthwise keeping juice from popping directly into your mouth. I honestly had reservations about this, but damn, it works extremely well. I expect this drip tip to become quite popular. Also, it is a real PITA to pull out, a very tight seal.
The deck is spacious and accommodates most sizes of coils. The post hole is just a bit small for what I am used to. I was able to fit 28 guage Kanthal with no problems, but I could see much thicker wire not working for quad builds. (EDIT: I purchased 24 Guage Kanthal and built a quad coil set up yesterday and it worked by stacking two on top and two on bottom)
The juice well is deep enough for me, but not nearly as deep as the Mephisto or Magma. I can drip 3 or 4 drops on each coil without flooding.
This atty sits flush on all of my gear, but without the AFC you will see a gap between the 454 and the 510 connection. This heat dissipating feature is welcomed as it runs hotter than most of my other RDA's (in quad coil mode). The threads fit all of my mods including the hybrids.
For me, building quad coils was not easy the first time. I felt like I was making a tiny model by balancing all four coils perfectly then bringing the securing ring down around them. I found that securing all coils in the middle post first is key.
Overall, I really enjoy this RDA! It is specifically designed for quad vertical coils which produce a warm, rich flavor. I taste the burned sugar and banana nuance of JTJM's Creme Brule that I didn't in the Atomic or even the Magma. I get a richer taste of the gooey filling of $100 Apple Pie. Absolutely decadent.
Clouds are subjective on this atty. I don't have 100% VG juice to test out, but I can assume that this thing is not going to win you any competitions unmodified. For me, though, it is a satisfying amount for all the flavor it produces.
It is a complete package for those looking for the latest in flavor chasing, I highly recommend it for anyone.

Last edited:

quintheskimo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great review! You're dead on with your description. I got to hit one of these owned by a juice maker at a Vape meet. Outstanding in all the respects you mentioned. If anyone is in to quad coiling, this is an excellent option.

@bigbadthor of the best attys I've had! but that tip had to go, wasn't enough airflow for me so i stuck on a wide mouth Vapelyfe brass drip tip and its even better than before! been happy with my dual set up so i never really thought about a quad set up yet... so how many wraps per coil did you do with the 28g and how big are the coils 3/32"?

bigbadthor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Norcalvaping, thank you for your response. My 454 Big Block's drip tip has actually been collecting dust on my headboard, I now use a wide bore delrin tip I bought from Kidney Puncher a while ago. I agree that it is very restrictive, however, for those flavor chasers out there, it does seem to make flavor more pronounced, IMO.
I think you will enjoy a quad coil in the 454. It is a great feeling of achievement when you complete the daunting task of getting everything lined up just right and then cinching down the last screw.
For my favorite quad coil setup using .28 gauge wire, I use eight wraps each on a 9/64" drill bit to get about .5 ohms. I have found any lower than that resistance makes for a tremendously hot vape (on a mechanical device) and does nothing for the flavor, so I've stuck to that setup. You will find that four .28 gauge wires are just about the limit for a quad build. I haven't tried .26 gauge for a quad, i just know that dual coils work just fine, but I am sure you might finesse them in there. Maybe some other 454 users can chime in and let us know! Cheers! (EDIT: Norcalvaping, disregard what I said, 24 guage quad coils are possible on the 454.)

Last edited:
I have the 454 quad coil set up with 24 gauge 6 wrap horizontal. It is running a .1 I need help on getting ohms up what is the best gauge wire and number of wraps

VU Sponsors